OLT Walking partners from 29th Jan 2017

For people seeking walking companions or transport for the Overland Track in Tasmania
Forum rules
This forum is for people seeking walking companions or transport for the Overland Track. There is a separate forum to find walking companions and transport for other walking areas.

1 This website is not a bushwalking club.
2 Users take responsibility for all actions arising from meetings made via this website.
3 Be totally self-sufficient – your own tent, stove, gear, etc.
4 Walkers under the age of 18 and/or those walking with them should raise the trip with the under 18's parents or legal guardians.
5 Please lock your thread when it is no longer needed. Moderators may lock threads without notice.
More details on these guidelines

OLT Walking partners from 29th Jan 2017

Postby Willdsouth89 » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 9:54 am

Hi all

I had the OT planned with a friend who has recently needed to drop out. I was wondering if any groups of walkers are planning on starting on 29th Jan and would be happy for me to join for safety?

I am a 27 year old male from London, UK that runs half marathons so have good fitness, but have never hiked the OT before or done a multi-day hike.

Cheers
Will
Willdsouth89
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: OLT Walking partners from 29th Jan 2017

Postby benoloughlin » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 11:53 am

Willdsouth89 wrote:Hi all

I had the OT planned with a friend who has recently needed to drop out. I was wondering if any groups of walkers are planning on starting on 29th Jan and would be happy for me to join for safety?

I am a 27 year old male from London, UK that runs half marathons so have good fitness, but have never hiked the OT before or done a multi-day hike.

Cheers
Will

Hi Will,

"Never walk alone" is advised in most places in Tasmania and I recommend it. But don't be too worried if by the time of the start of your walk you haven't found anyone to walk with. The Overland Track is probably one multi-day trek where there is a fair degree of comfort due to the number of people walking this time of year and the infrastructure in the park. Having said that, be sure that you are familiar with the hazards you might encounter - John and Monica Chapman's "The Overland Track" or their "Cradle Mountain Lake St Clair National Park and Walls of Jerusalem National Park" book and the Parks website www.parks.tas.gov.au (Overland Track pages) are excellent resources.

Its a well trodden track and you'll find that there will be plenty of people on the track at the same time and it would surprise me if you didn't meet up with a like-minded person when you start the walk or at one of the huts or even while walking on the track itself. If you decide to do some of the side tracks - such as Mt Oakleigh, Cradle summit, Pelion East and Mt Ossa summit - then it would be wise to have a companion to go with you due to the increased risk of climbing and scrambling. Its always a smart move to hire a PLB (just in case!) and if you have mobile telephone service with Telstra, there are a few points where you can get reception to call out (Cradle Cirque, Pine Valley Moor, DuCane Range (Labyrinth track), Echo Point on Lake St Clair and possibly all the major peaks.

Buses to Cradle Mountain Visitor Centre:
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g ... ntain.html

all the best,

Ben
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby weeds » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 3:28 pm

Don't be too stressed if you cannot find anybody prior....we just completed the overland and bumped into many solo walkers......As Ben mentioned you will soon get to knows those that started the same day as you.

My son joined up with a solo walker and summited Mt Ossa.

We found pretty much all the walker were very social....there was the odd nutter.

Two solo guys met on the bus from the info centre to Ronney creek and walked the first four days together.

There were at least three solo ladies, for one it was her first multi day walk and we would catch up for a chat at the end of each day.

Enjoy the walk.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Willdsouth89 » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 10:40 am

Brilliant guys. Appreciate the advice/assurances. Do you know how much the PLB hire is?
Willdsouth89
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby gayet » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 11:22 am

Service Tasmania hire them out at $40/7 days.

Online applications are available and booking one might be necessary at busy times. Pickup probably in Launceston.

Try

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/Index.aspx?base=7364

for further information and a link to the application/booking form.

Enjoy the walk.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby corvus » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 6:43 pm

G'day Will,
I have done the OLT at least 15 times (Father Son Bonding thing) and you will have no chance in my belief of not finding like minded walkers ,I doubt that you as an inexperienced walker will be straying from the track or Highlights so whilst I believe in being safe I don't think you will need a PLB on the OLT at that busy time of year so one less thing to plan :)
Regards,
Gerry
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Willdsouth89 » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 10:00 am

Big thanks all
Willdsouth89
Nothofagus cunninghamii