Pencil Pine Falls

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Pencil Pine Falls

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 31 May, 2009 7:35 pm

This may be useless, but I'll give it a go anyhow. This is a stitched shot composed of 8 shots taken of Pencil Pine Falls at CM NP. It's pretty skinny at 800 pixels- the original is over 9999 pixels wide!
Last edited by the_camera_poser on Fri 09 Oct, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_camera_poser

Re: Pencil Pine Falls

Postby walkinTas » Sun 31 May, 2009 10:22 pm

Nice picture CP. What did you use to stitch it together?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Sun 31 May, 2009 10:53 pm

I used Photoshop CS3 for this one, but I also use Hugin with Emblend, which is a free stitching program. I was surprised it came out so well. I'd love to be able to print it out at a size to do it justice.
the_camera_poser

Postby walkinTas » Sun 31 May, 2009 11:32 pm

the_camera_poser wrote:I'd love to be able to print it out at a size to do it justice.
There are a couple of shops in Devonport that can do that for you, but I have no idea about the quality of their work (PM sent).
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 9:42 am

Walking- there's a print shop around the corner of the High School I might try.
the_camera_poser

Postby Mickeymoo » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 11:05 am

Very nice looking shot, but as you say a little hard to appreciate all the detail at this size.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nick S » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 1:26 pm

Nice shot tcp
For anyone around Launceston where would be the best places to print out long panos like this?
I haven't looked around at all yet, maybe submitting the photo online is the way to go, but I'd be interested to hear what other people do.
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 7:17 pm

Very impressive. It's hard to get moving water blended well in composites.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 01 Jun, 2009 8:24 pm

Nick- I'm be blasted if I can remember the name of the place, but there's a spot on the way to Bell Bay- still in Launny, just down the road from the art school and from B+W printers, who does really good work. It's just a little shop front place, but they are the only people I've found locally to date that do a pro-job of printing. A chinese family run it- very affordable and great service.

There's a place in Devonport with a giant Epson continuous paper printer, if you want I can find their name for you.
the_camera_poser

Postby lexharris » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 12:55 am

Not useless at all camera_poser, quite a tidy result. Did you use a pano head on your tripod?
Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 10:01 am

the_camera_poser wrote:This may be useless, but I'll give it a go anyhow. This is a stitched shot composed of 8 shots taken of Pencil Pine Falls at CM NP. It's pretty skinny at 800 pixels- the original is over 9999 pixels wide!]

You can post a larger image that will be scaled back to 800 pixels wide for the forum display, but when clicked on will reveal the full size image. The limit is that the original needs to be under 1mb or it will be rejected as too big. I would like to see your pano at a larger size.
Check out this one I posted as an example in my Lake McCoy thread. download/file.php?id=1427&mode=view

. . . . and this one from the Lake Sydney/Mt Bobs thread download/file.php?id=1390&mode=view
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 7:02 pm

Here's a reduced-size version. It's been downsized twice, and so it's lost a fiar bit of resolution, but you can see a bit more detail.

No, I didn't use a pano head- I only used my standard 3-way head. It was a pain in the butt. The total view is around 270 degrees, so I had to run through the whole series of shots a number of times to make sure that the series would have a somewhat horizontal horizon in them. Also, trying to find a happy focus that would put everything important into decent sharpness was a bit tricky. Finally, I shot it all in manual, otherwise the camera would have varied it's settings, which would have thrown the stitching. I metered off the waterfall- and exposed as far to the right as I could on the waterfall without totally blowing the highlights. I then relied on photoshop to pull the detail out of the shadows.
Last edited by the_camera_poser on Fri 09 Oct, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_camera_poser

Postby lexharris » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 8:14 pm

I then relied on photoshop to pull the detail out of the shadows.

Nothing wrong with that but why not try some Portra or Ektar to ease the pain - 12 to 14 stops dynamic range :wink: Might be a bit tricky to load in the digicam though...

Seriously, you've done well to cover the range in the picture, shadow detail holds up quite well and water highlights a bit blown but well controlled. Overall a nice piece of work and one to be proud of :D
Cheers, Lex
Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey (1927-1989)
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 03 Jun, 2009 10:02 pm

Man I'd love to shot medium format, but it's just not cost effective. For that matter, I'd love to shoot large format- but that's definitely out of the realm of practicality.

I almost bought a Pentax MF last time we discussed it, but in the end I figured I'd be better to eventually invest in a 21 mp camera- get roughly the same reolution with the added benefits of digital. Not as much dynamic range, but flexible ISO, no negative scanning and total control of the development process outweighed the benefits in my mind.
the_camera_poser

Postby lexharris » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 8:20 pm

Man I'd love to shot medium format, but it's just not cost effective.

Yeah, it's true that buying and processing film is an ongoing cost that you don't have with digital. But when I see the 65+MP scans I get from 120 film, well it kind of makes it worth it. And a projected MF transparency, oh man that's something else, you have to see it to believe it. I know what you mean though and for most people it's too hard and too expensive. But heck, you can now buy a Hasselblad or Rollieflex or Pentax or Mamiya outfit for less than a D5II or A900 or whatever. I know which one I'd go for :wink:

BTW on a recent trip around the SW Cape circuit I was at Window Pane Bay and ran into a young guy with - surprise - a big Rollie TLR slung over his shoulder. He was shooting only HP5 B&W. Cool! :D
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 9:50 pm

When you guys take panorama's do you worry about the "Nodal Point"? Do you use / have you ever used a nodal rail?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 10:19 pm

naw....... never seems to matter
the_camera_poser

Postby lexharris » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 12:08 am

When you guys take panorama's do you worry about the "Nodal Point"? Do you use / have you ever used a nodal rail?

Personally no, but then I don't shoot a lot of panoramas and I already carry too much weight anyway :( . But if I was serious about panoramas I would use one if was intending to stitch images, or better still use a dedicated panorama camera. For the few casual panoramas I shoot, I find a standard head or even handheld is usually OK, mainly due to the impressive align/blend capabilities of Photoshop which can correct for quite a lot of lack of technique on the part of the photographer :wink: . Another way of creating a perfectly aligned panorama sequence (albeit limited to 2 images) is to use a shift lens. Works very well.
lexharris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 10:03 pm

CP, I added a link to your photo in the Wiki List of Waterfalls.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 11:45 pm

walkinTas wrote:CP, I added a link to your photo in the Wiki List of Waterfalls.

ta!
the_camera_poser

Return to Gallery