Penguin Cradle Trail photos

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Re: Penguin Cradle Trail photos

Postby ReAcTiOnN » Wed 22 May, 2013 6:26 am

I am planning on doing this walk end of June. I know its going to be the in the winter and conditions might not be that great but I have wanted to do this walk for a while. I am a pretty experienced walker but haven't done much winter walking though so any advice that would be great.
ReAcTiOnN
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby sthughes » Wed 22 May, 2013 9:14 am

Just make sure you're well equipped and watch the weather. In particular the Black Bluff range is very exposed to bad weather, you'll want all your winter gear just in case (warm/waterproof gloves, beanie, balaclava, fleece under full shell (inc. waterproof pants), winter tent, winter stove etc.). After a heap of rain the Leven Canyon section may be very difficult to pass as some of it is along the river's edge where it would flood easily. A GPS and map are very important as navigating in bad weather could be very difficult on the exposed Black Bluff to Four Ways section. The Black Bluff Range can also see significant snow fall - not hugely likely in June, but possible.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 2:18 pm

Great thread. Gradually mapping the area in OSM along with sthughes. Chasing up GPX tracks at the moment to form a reliable trail. If you have GPX plots and are willing to share please PM me.

We have a two day weekend for one group and another two days for more hardcore sections in August. Just working out what sections and car shuffles required.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Tue 18 Jun, 2013 2:30 pm

Ent wrote:Great thread. Gradually mapping the area in OSM along with sthughes. Chasing up GPX tracks at the moment to form a reliable trail. If you have GPX plots and are willing to share please PM me.

We have a two day weekend for one group and another two days for more hardcore sections in August. Just working out what sections and car shuffles required.

Cheers

Sounds like a good trip Ent. I dont want to do the walk with you but if you do happen to need a hand with transport let me know. If I can I am happy to help drop people off or pick them up, if I am free.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby VizBiz » Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:05 am

Looking forward to doing Reynolds Falls early December 2013.
Can't wait.

Will post some pictures once done.

Cheers
VizBiz
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Gallery