Beckett's Falls and other.

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Beckett's Falls and other.

Postby MrCAMEL » Wed 15 Oct, 2008 5:17 pm

On the beautiful Sunday just gone I was bored and being very slack, by mid afternoon I decided to get in the dirty Commo and visit some new places.
Off the main track of the South Arthur Forest Drive, stay on Sumac and then on to Mt Bertha Rd, is Beckett's Falls, Wes Beckett Falls or Dodd's Creek Falls, as I have read them to be called. The sign reads it is an hour return trip. The track gets very steep and is only one way for a short part, but it's a nice stroll.
At the bottom, it was very very warm, bordering on hot. I took some quick pictures and moved on.

The road into the Falls in places was almost completely green, not like in this picture, and it looked pretty.

I drove on to Horton Road and on the big map of Tassie there is a lookout marked.
So I checked it out.
I found it quite impressive.
Many little hills in the background facing inland, on what was a clear day it was magnificent.

From here I kept going south. The gravel road is the best gravel road I have driven on. Better than so many sealed main roads around the state and it was so very wide too.

The reasons were pretty obvious.

The end of the road

A very quick last stop, as Woolies was almost shut was at Lake Chisolm.
After a very short walk to the lake, I managed to get one photo before the batteried died.

In summary, it's a nice spot.
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Beckett's Falls and other.

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 15 Oct, 2008 8:15 pm

The falls look nice, I'll have to make an effort and have a look, and Lake Chisholm is lovely is a lovely spot. Another point of interest around here is the Trowutta Arch.
Apparently Forestry Tas once said there would never be any logging south of the Arthur :?
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mickeymoo » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 7:36 am

Definantly looks like a nice spot and you have got some nice photos too, just a pity about the logging!
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 12:45 pm

Devon Annie wrote:Apparently Forestry Tas once said there would never be any logging south of the Arthur :?

Likely they were referring to "Once they've finished - when they've got it all".... :(

Nice place! Looks like great weather too.
The sky in the photos is showing up as green on my monitor, same green as BWT forum background - can't figure it out.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby MrCAMEL » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 1:37 pm

tasadam wrote:
Devon Annie wrote:Apparently Forestry Tas once said there would never be any logging south of the Arthur :?

Likely they were referring to "Once they've finished - when they've got it all".... :(

Nice place! Looks like great weather too.
The sky in the photos is showing up as green on my monitor, same green as BWT forum background - can't figure it out.

The sky was like that at work. I didn't think it was normal. Now at home they look fine.

There certainly cannot have been much activity down that way in recent times There were a couple of trees that had fallen over the road, presumably from the fire that way earlier this year or fallen trees that became fallen after being hit by a falling tree. If a truck or any vehicle larger than a Commodore was to have been past, they would have had to be moved or damaged. But some of the trees were not damaged. I⎘ had to attend to 4 trees/branches on the road before I could continue on.
But, looking on the google view of the area, there is a little bit of circle work (tree falling) going on down there.

When I realised I was down that far, I was going to find the track to the Western Explorer. But, I didnt actually set out with that in mind and didnt know exactly where to go.
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ashlee » Wed 29 Jul, 2009 2:37 pm

A friend and I went on an expedition to Wes Beckett one day last year.. We only got as far as the steps/boudlers going down to the creek cos they were completely covered in jack jumpers (my walking friend is allergic..)
Been to that lookout as well (Dempster Plains), very nice spot hey!
I reckon that road you went down goes to Horton and Leigh Rivers? I was there only a few weeks back but the road was pretty crappy at that stage, so didn't go in very far.
ashlee
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby iandsmith » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:36 am

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Now I'll have to look up exactly where all these are on the maps and have a crack at it this coming October when I hope to be down there. Cheers
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Gallery