Machinery Creek

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Machinery Creek

Postby Davo1 » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 4:16 pm

Apart from torn shirt and a few minor mishaps we enjoyed some exilirating crawling this past week.
Didn't get any pics of the thick undergrowth, to be honest didn't even think of it until afterwards when reflecting back on the day.
Any way it fueled the fire for further trips to come and I will make sure I get a few pics.
As expected Phillips Falls was lacking water.
One thing I will comment on though, Bunnings or Nubco must have had a special on pink tape. There was one section we come across where many had been before, I could count 11 different pieces of tape without moving and not all on the same track, if it wasn't for familiarity it may have been slightly confusing.
Attachments
DSC04551.jpg
On our way to Round Mountain. a pleasant start to the day. Forth River from just below Paloona Dam
DSC04512.jpg
Have to go back and do this one from the bottom, bit of a scramble to get to it.
DSC04565.jpg
Phillips Falls. Couldn't believe how long it took to get to here. Quicker to go over the edge from the top I think.
DSC04573.jpg
A relaxing part of the creek.
DSC04578.jpg
I know the area is full of minerals but the colour of this seep took me by surprise, just like someone had spilt cans of paint. Vivid is an understatement.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Machinery Creek

Postby walkinTas » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 5:11 pm

Davo1 wrote:Phillips Falls. Couldn't believe how long it took to get to here. Quicker to go over the edge from the top I think.
Reminds me of my walk to Elephant Falls. Climbed all the way up the creek and the falls were dry. Anyway, I can add another picture to the Wiki list. :)

Looks like a good little walk and probably well worth the effort after some rain. Where is the start?
Last edited by walkinTas on Sun 07 Apr, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Machinery Creek

Postby Davo1 » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 7:01 pm

walkinTas wrote:
Davo1 wrote:Phillips Falls. Couldn't believe how long it took to get to here. Quicker to go over the edge from the top I think.
Reminds me of my walk to Elephant Falls. Climbed at the way up the creek and the falls were dry. Anyway, I can add another picture to the Wiki list. :)

Looks like a good little walk and probably well worth the effort after some rain. Where is the start?

I take it you mean to Phillips Falls?
There is a multitude of ways in but for the easiest way would be a short walk from Cockatoo Rd just south east of the falls by about 50mts.
The falls are only 20mts off the road where it crosses the creek.
It is taped and would probably take about an hour all up there and back along the spur. Don't go in where the tape is on the road, go in closer to the creek along what looks like the start of an old road, it meets up with the taped track. There is a way down the steep bit near the falls but I wouldn't recomend it unless your crossed with a billy goat, in saying that, I know it is done regular by some :). I don't mind the going up but I won't go down it. I think it's a mind thing..........as you mentioned before, "oh to be young again". I also wouldn't go the way we did again, took nearly 4hrs of slog in and about half hour out via the way I've mentioned.
After that I hope it was the falls you referred to.

There are some good walks further down the creek with easy access either from Cockatoo Road or from Cethana. Some of the old tracks are still accessible and I notice someone has been there fairly recently with fresh tape around.

If anyone knows the history of the area and you read this, could you please enlighten me to what the concrete blocks are on the creek just south of the mine adit on the Cethana side, that's up the creek a bit from the mine.
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Gallery