Desktop version
Bushwalking pictures.

Forum rules

Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.
Post a reply

Mambray Creek - SA

Thu 20 Nov, 2008 1:01 pm

I did a recent "training" walk in the Southern Flinders Ranges here in South Australia and I thought I would post a few pictures.

The Flinders Ranges start out with a mild climate in the South and extend up into the desert regions in the North.
This walk was along the ridge top above the Alligator/Mambray Creek area - returning through 2 gorges as a loop walk.
This ridge (called the Battery) is next to Spencers Gulf with Eyre Peninsula easily seen across the sea.
We took 2 days to do the 38 km.
[There are no alligators in SA - so I think it was named due to its shape]

eggs

IMGP6148.JPG
Monitor lizard and his lady friend

IMGP6193.JPG
View across the pound of Alligator Creek

IMGP6226.JPG
The actual air was glowing during this late afternoon view across to the gulf

Re: Mambray Creek - SA

Thu 20 Nov, 2008 1:03 pm

IMGP6230.JPG
A fiery sunset (no post processing on this one)

IMGP6257.JPG
Down in Aliigator Gorge

IMGP6276.JPG
The Narrows in Alligator Gorge

Thu 20 Nov, 2008 1:07 pm

IMGP6289.JPG
Alligator Creek as it cuts through to Mambray Creek

IMGP6306.JPG
Rock fall in Hidden Gorge

IMGP6313.JPG
Rock Wall in Hidden Gorge

Fri 21 Nov, 2008 7:14 am

Gorgeous- I really miss goannas!

Sun 23 Nov, 2008 5:47 pm

Good shots Eggs. Was there myself earlier this year, and had an interesting experience as a 1m long snake dropped into a pool of water just in front of us in the Narrows. He slithered off away from us, but if he'd decided to go the other way, we'd have had no-where to go!

Wello

Sun 23 Nov, 2008 6:29 pm

Wello,

We were expecting to see snakes as it was warm enough for them, but were glad to have come up empty.
There were 3 different occasions when we were right up close with the monitor lizards and they had left lots of tracks. We also saw emus and lots of kangaroos.
But no snakes.

eggs

Mon 24 Nov, 2008 7:25 am

Hi Eggs,

Beautiful country, great pictures. Makes me homesick.

Tony

Tue 02 Dec, 2008 7:43 am

Great coloured rocks in this country eh! Nice.
Post a reply