Girraween

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Girraween

Postby cams » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:11 am

Got out to Girraween over the weekend. Here are a few shots that I'm pleased with:

Still need to play with this one a bit, but I'm happy with the composition:

cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Girraween

Postby Pteropus » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:18 am

Great pics! I really like the water ones, so not sure what you will do with them if you play with them too much. I assume you were using an ND filter? How were the wild flowers?
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby cams » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 10:32 am

Pteropus wrote:Great pics! I really like the water ones, so not sure what you will do with them if you play with them too much. I assume you were using an ND filter? How were the wild flowers?

Thanks. Yeah, I was using a Lee Big Stopper but was getting some light leaks so there is some reflection happening and causing more than usual colour cast on that second last one. The flowers were only just getting started I think. A few around, but definitely not at its best yet.
cams

Postby cams » Wed 11 Sep, 2013 6:14 pm

Since I can't edit the original post. Here's a new edit of the first cascade. I think it's better:

Cascade on Bald Rock Creek by CameronS884, on Flickr
cams

Postby Pteropus » Thu 12 Sep, 2013 11:43 am

Wow that came up really good Cam. I initially thought the original was quite nice but now it looks average compared to the second version. I have looked into the Lee Big Stopper but have decided to wait to see what I upgrade my camera with in the future. I have a 3 stop ND filter which goes well with my circular polariser for the time being.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby cams » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks, I'm still pretty noob at editing. I kind of just play with stuff until it looks better. Yeah, it definitely was a bit of an investment to get into the Lee filters. I only have the big stopper and a 3 stop GND which can be used as a standard ND too because it is 150mm high. I went for them mainly for the big stopper which is supposed to have some of the least colour cast. If used correctly I think this is true. This is another one I took with it. Straight off the camera:

Catholic Church at Glen Innes by CameronS884, on Flickr

I used a CPL for that waterfall too. Really helped bring out the green and red moss underneath the thin water film that otherwise were being lost by reflection. Although I'm just using a 77mm cpl behind the square filters which may be causing the issues I had too. To do it properly you need a 105mm CPL to screw into the Lee adapter on the front of the square filters which equals more money. lol

If you haven't checked out The Cascades it is a very worthwhile little walk. Doesn't take long but has the prettiest water features I've seen at Girra. It's tucked in downstream from Dr. Roberts Waterhole.
cams

Postby phan_TOM » Sun 20 Jul, 2014 1:14 pm

cams wrote:If you haven't checked out The Cascades it is a very worthwhile little walk. Doesn't take long but has the prettiest water features I've seen at Girra. It's tucked in downstream from Dr. Roberts Waterhole.

Checking out the cascades has been on my list for ages but for some reason or another I keep failing to get there. We were out at Girraween a month or so ago and I had planned to do it no matter what this time, but after spending the morning of day 1 exploring aztec temple and all along underground creek by the time we got to the point where you head into the cascades we were more interested in heading back to camp for a feed and a hot drink... We were there for 4 days too but never managed to get back there, Girraween has so many distractions :wink:

cams wrote:Got out to Girraween over the weekend. Here are a few shots that I'm pleased with:

Nice. Is the abseil off of one of the totems at aztec temple?
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM

Region: New South Wales

Postby cams » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:07 pm

Ahh. Yes, it is so easy to just explore. I'll be back in a couple of weeks. Hopefully my down pants will have arrived by then. ;) Were you there for the -7 weekend?

Indeed, that is my friend abseiling off one of the main pillars.
cams

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:26 pm

It wasn't that cold when we went in may, it was only starting to nudge freezing at night. I think it got down to -9 or thereabouts a week and half ago though, and windy. Makes me wish I'd planned another winter bush camping trip, something I've done for the past few years.

I'm sure your down pants will be a welcome addition if your heading out there soon. Which ones did you go with?
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby cams » Mon 21 Jul, 2014 9:30 pm

phan_TOM wrote:It wasn't that cold when we went in may, it was only starting to nudge freezing at night. I think it got down to -9 or thereabouts a week and half ago though, and windy. Makes me wish I'd planned another winter bush camping trip, something I've done for the past few years.

I'm sure your down pants will be a welcome addition if your heading out there soon. Which ones did you go with?

Yeah, leg insulation is always something that seems to get neglected and every time I've been during winter in the past I've vowed to get some before the next trip. Ended up getting Western Mountaineering Flash pants.
cams

Postby cams » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 2:54 pm

Was back over the weekend just gone. Wattles are well and truly on their way as well as some of the other flowers. Only got down to 2.7deg :( Need to figure out a better underquilt attachment for the hammock. It handled the temps fine, but when the wind picked up there were too many holes.

Only picture from the weekend. As we pulled up at this well known spot there was a MASSIVE wild pig running off into the treeline. We were shocked that there could be such large creatures in the bush and that we've never seen one before.

ImageEnjoying the View

Will be back in September for a week or so. :)
cams

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 11:33 am

We're planning a trip out there in September too, as soon as the school holidays are over we'll be there. It could turn into an epic year for wild flowers with the rain that we've been getting. Hopefully there is some more as it gets closer and the flowers go off.

I had a similar problem with my UQ the first time I hammocked out there in winter. It was warm enough until a breeze blew in all the gaps and then I froze my *&%$#! off, literally... I now have a better UQ and it fits nice and snug which has made a huge difference
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Return to Gallery