Turrana, Clumner and Mersey Crag

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Turrana, Clumner and Mersey Crag

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:17 pm

Some shots from a recent trip into the Long Tarns to climb a few Abels - Clumner Bluff, Mersey Crag and Turrana Bluff. Fantastic trip and I highly recommend the two Bluffs (Mersey is a bit unassuming but it's an easy walk). Clumner especially has probably the best uninterrupted view of the Cradle Mt - Lake St Clair NP mountains going :) The walk in past Rinadeena Falls (formerly Little Fisher Falls) is also pretty special.

Check out some more pics here: http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/2014/01/20/off-track-adventures-turrana-bluff-mersey-crag-clumner-bluff/

Tip of the day - don't approach Clumner from Long Tarns, it takes *&%$#! ages. Go in from Dublin Road like the Abels book says.

Shot with an EM5, m.ZD 17mm and m.ZD 45mm

Little Fisher River bridge - closed! This adds about 45mins to the walk in.

Myrtle Rainforest

Turrana from Deception Plains

Relics at the site of Boy Miles' unfinished Deception Plains Hut.

Looking back down the Little Fisher Valley

Mersey Crag and approaching rain

Turrana Bluff

Scrambling on Turrana Bluff

Long Tarns campsite

The WoJ and southern Overland mountains

The plateau behind Clumner

Anyone know what this is about? Up on the Clumner plateau

Tarn and Pencil Pines

Back to camp after a 9.5hr day out to Clumner Bluff
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Turrana, Clumner and Mersey Crag

Postby Tortoise » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks for posting, Nick. I've been thinking of doing a similar trip, so it's great to get the updated info re the walk in, and to see your pics. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whynotwalk » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 1:17 pm

image.jpg
Great stuff Nick. I'll be heading (back) to your blog for more. You've taken me back 30 years (yikes!) to when I first went there. I've dug up an old photo of a younger me at Long Tarns :shock: The weather was slightly different ... from memory we went in spring.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 2:06 pm

I think they actually got a fair bit of snow on the Overland the weekend we went, but we only got a dusting of rain...

I've walked from Blue Peaks to Long Tarns before and I think it's probably one of my favourite spots in Tassie. So easy to just wonder off wherever takes your fancy!

Tortoise wrote:Thanks for posting, Nick. I've been thinking of doing a similar trip, so it's great to get the updated info re the walk in, and to see your pics. :)

It's a pity about the bridge, because otherwise the walk in to the falls would be a great short day walk...

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks Nick, nice images as per. I've been thinking of this exact trip. Must get off my rear!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 5:34 pm

You do know that cairn isn't the highest point of Turanna Bluff, don't you?
Geez I was cheesed off when I climbed up and realised that there were two higher points to the south . . .

I was hoping to do Clumner from near Mersey Crag in December, while en route back south via the Walls and Great Pine Tier. Too crook to pull it off. Still like the idea of approaching it that way - don't care about the extra time, it just looks like a lovely bit of country from the Crag.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ofuros » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 6:52 pm

After seeing your pics, I feel a Tassie trip looming.........thanks Nick. 8)
Last edited by ofuros on Wed 22 Jan, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby corvus » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 7:36 pm

As usual great pics Nick,
Those poles are intriguing there is one near the OLT just off the Horse Track on the right before you head down to Kitchen Hut ,climbed up it for a look and it appeared to be for what ?? great view of Barn Bluff and over to the West :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 11:35 am

north-north-west wrote:You do know that cairn isn't the highest point of Turanna Bluff, don't you?
Geez I was cheesed off when I climbed up and realised that there were two higher points to the south . . .

I was hoping to do Clumner from near Mersey Crag in December, while en route back south via the Walls and Great Pine Tier. Too crook to pull it off. Still like the idea of approaching it that way - don't care about the extra time, it just looks like a lovely bit of country from the Crag.

Haha yeah mate I know. We approached from the south (Long Tarns campsite) and hit up all three (or is it four?) cairned 'summits'... Personally the 'scrambling' one is my favourite but I'm pretty sure it's not the high point :wink:

If you start early I highly recommend approaching Clumner from the Little Fisher Valley - as you say the plateau between the Crag and the Bluff is a lovely bit of open walking. Lunch on the edge of the cliffs is pretty epic too :D The views down to the northern lakes of WoJ makes me pretty keen to explore as well.

corvus wrote:As usual great pics Nick,
Those poles are intriguing there is one near the OLT just off the Horse Track on the right before you head down to Kitchen Hut ,climbed up it for a look and it appeared to be for what ?? great view of Barn Bluff and over to the West :lol:
corvus

I'm stumped... I was thinking some kind of Met gear, but buggered if I could say what they'd actually use it for. And this one is just in such a random place, it's not as if this is a frequently visited spot :?

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taswegian » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 12:38 pm

very nice thanks Nick.
Great place to be.

I wonder if those poles were associated with HEC? (Not sure about Horse Track though) They would have been monitoring many parts of the catchment of Mersey power scheme.

There are some beautiful and large lakes south of Mersey Crag.
Well worth time taken to explore.
I stayed in a rock 'cave' many years ago on shore of Lake Sidon. Had a tin of detonators :roll: and other camping paraphernalia in it.

Always felt the Little Fisher Track was a very worthwhile entranceway to that area and onto the Walls. I envisage one day there could be a decent track.
The view northwards down the valley along Turanna/ Fisher Bluff are quite impressive.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Thu 23 Jan, 2014 8:16 am

taswegian wrote:I wonder if those poles were associated with HEC? (Not sure about Horse Track though) They would have been monitoring many parts of the catchment of Mersey power scheme.

That would make sense, they left gear in some pretty strange places... I suppose it could have had a rainfall gauge mounted on top at some point.

There are some beautiful and large lakes south of Mersey Crag.
Well worth time taken to explore.
I stayed in a rock 'cave' many years ago on shore of Lake Sidon. Had a tin of detonators :roll: and other camping paraphernalia in it.

Always felt the Little Fisher Track was a very worthwhile entranceway to that area and onto the Walls. I envisage one day there could be a decent track.
The view northwards down the valley along Turanna/ Fisher Bluff are quite impressive.

I've been thinking of doing a full on-off track loop thought the Walls; start with the Little Fisher track, drop down through the lakes you mention, Solitary Hut, Trappers Hut, down to Lake Adelaide and along to Meston, then back along the Chinaman Plains to Lake Ball, through Dixons Kingdom, Zion Gate and around Daisy Lakes back to Long Tarns. Should keep me occupied for a while :D

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby biggbird » Fri 24 Jan, 2014 7:53 pm

Great shots Nick, that plateau looks awesome!
biggbird

Postby Nick S » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 6:19 am

Nice one Nick, seems like you've stirred a few of us on here to do the same. Me included.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
Nick S

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 11:53 am

Nick S wrote:Nice one Nick, seems like you've stirred a few of us on here to do the same. Me included.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

If you get up there take a footy, I reckon the Clumner Plateau has a few top spots for a game :wink:

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Gallery