The Angourie Walk

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

The Angourie Walk

Postby phan_TOM » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 4:27 pm

I thought I'd share a few photos from a recent overnight walk from Angourie to Red Cliff in the Yuraygir National Park. It's close to home so I get down there often but I never get tired of visiting, it is a beautiful piece of coastline.

The Angourie Walk is the northern most part of the Yuraygir Coastal Walk and the section I did is an easy 10k's from Angourie to Red Cliff campground. It passes through stands of coastal wattle and banksia, along soft grassy trails paralleling the beach and up over numerous headlands with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean and the coastline stretching north and south.

There are a few meanders around the back of some of the headlands which take you through soft sandy depressions and paperbark swamps but these only add to the visual diversity and variety of the walk and they get you in amongst the birds, goannas and wallabies of which there is an abundance.

If you feel like it there are a few long isolated beaches that can be walked instead of the track. Some sections would only be wise to do at low tide as there isn't anywhere to go as the tide comes in. I walked one section of beach but couldn't seem to find firm sand, even down by the waters edge, so with my pack around 15kg and a lack of motivation decided to give it a miss and kept to the track most of the way afterwards. It seems the older I get the fitter I used to be

It was around 20 degrees and raining as I parked the car and the rain continuing in a steady line of squalls all the way in to the campsite. The views were limited, even from the cliff tops, which didn't allow for much photography but made for pleasant walking, adding nice colours and a nice calm mood to the landscape. Before heading off I made the stupid mistake as I reset my gps of selecting 'reset to factory settings' instead of 'reset trip and track data' losing my custom maps and a bunch of archived walks. I won't repeat the coarse words that were said...

As I was getting close to my planned campsite I came around a narrow corner in the coastal vegetation and face to face with a big muscular eastern grey kangaroo. I had my head down and hood pulled down tight so I didn't see it until the last second giving me an unexpected surprise. I didn't squeal like a girl much but decided to save face, when it leaned towards me and growled, and go the long way around. This turned out to be a bonus because the long way meant following the top of a cliff around to where I got to watch a pod of dolphins surfing - a highlight of the trip.

I woke to a damp crisp day on the Sunday and had an early walk over the nearby headland to watch the sun come up and take a few photos. There was a huge squall at sea and the view from the cliffs was spectacular. The red cliffs, blue ocean and soft red light streaming in below the clods made up for being awake so early.

It was a cool morning so I was relieved when the sun finally did show it's face and I could air my gear out. I had the eager attention of a couple of crows sitting in a tree nearby while I had a coffee and breakfast. After coming back from a nature call and seeing them fly from my gear which was spread out and up into the tree I had a bad vision so had to double check as I was packing that my car keys were securely clipped into the lid pocket of my pack :)

1.jpg
Angourie Headland
1.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 11193 times

2.jpg
The weather closing in
2.jpg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 11193 times

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
The Red Cliff
Last edited by phan_TOM on Fri 13 Jun, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: The Angourie Walk

Postby phan_TOM » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 4:29 pm

6.jpg
6.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 11192 times

7.jpg
7.jpg (119.7 KiB) Viewed 11192 times

8.jpg
8.jpg (101.84 KiB) Viewed 11192 times

9.jpg
It's a hard life but somebody has to do it

10.jpg
10.jpg (102.35 KiB) Viewed 11192 times
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby phan_TOM » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 4:31 pm

11.jpg
11.jpg (153.07 KiB) Viewed 11192 times

12.jpg
12.jpg (148.92 KiB) Viewed 11192 times

13.jpg
13.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 11192 times

14.jpg
Shelley Headland

15.jpg
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

& one more

Postby phan_TOM » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 4:40 pm

16.jpg
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby ofuros » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 6:22 pm

Nice one phan_Tom.
Since I havn't done that section yet it's good to get a glimpse of what I'm in for.
Chasing hard sand on the beaches & ominous rain showers seem to ring a bell. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby phan_TOM » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:03 am

Walking along the cliffs north of Shelley Headland would have to be one of my favourite sections of the the Yuraygir walk ofuros, you'll enjoy it no matter what the weathers doing. Hopefully you get blue skies :)

There are always plenty of birds and I usually spot at least one turtle, ray and/or pod of dolphins plus the Humpback whale watching is good from now until November, you're bound to see a few.
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby awildland » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 8:57 pm

Stunning photos! Particularly love the big male roo checking you out. Got me inspired to do this walk now! Have done bits and pieces but might be time to string it altogether.
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:16 am

awildland wrote:Stunning photos! Particularly love the big male roo checking you out

There were lots of roos around which is good to see. Last year I spent a week down there and saw this emu daddy and his chicks almost every day. I think I'd rather stumble onto a roo than an emu though, he was a scary mofo!

awildland wrote:might be time to string it altogether

I've done all the sections but haven't done the whole thing in one go either. I'm put off somewhat by the extortionate price of the river crossings, it seems there is one or two locals who charge around $50 for a 3 minute boat ride...

I've been researching packrafts :)
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby awildland » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 5:18 pm

phan_TOM wrote:I've done all the sections but haven't done the whole thing in one go either. I'm put off somewhat by the extortionate price of the river crossings, it seems there is one or two locals who charge around $50 for a 3 minute boat ride...

I've been researching packrafts :)

we've been trying to think of ways around this too…thought we'd take just one of our little vinyl 'pack rafts' (the sort you get for 29.99 at clark rubber). It would mean having to do a few trips to ferry across packs and people or else swimming and pulling the boat with the packs in it - but just taking one lightens the load a bit. we use those boats for lots of different adventures (so versatile and cheap although not in the manufacturers specs).
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phan_TOM » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 3:00 pm

I haven't come across those ones before, they look pretty good. I can get one delivered for under $40 dollars at the moment too, very tempting.

I have been considering one of the klymit litewater rafts as they are a fair bit lighter and not as horribly expensive as the alpacka's. No doubt you give up a lot of durability over an alpacka though - if money wasn't a barrier I'd probably get an alpacka scout, they look like the most durable pack rafts available and fairly small and light for the potential they open up.
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby awildland » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 8:07 pm

everybody seems to love their alpacas and they have a good reputation but as you say, they are expensive…and while the clark rubber vinyl boats are cheap I would comment (from personal experience) that durability is not their greatest feature :cry: - i've holed a couple already! Still you could probably go through about 20 of them to the price of one alpaca (although that is not probably a very environmentally friendly option)…

other best feature of the little vinyl boats is that they are called "Explorer 200" - sounds more hardcore than an Alpaca! :wink:
awildland
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Gallery