Photo competitions: what makes you click?! ;)

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Re: Photo competitions: what makes you click?! ;)

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 02 Oct, 2014 10:00 pm

Ok, Icefest has already started the new game in town in a new thread. Heading over there...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18255
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 5:06 pm

Good to see something positive come from it I guess. Even splitting his topic, kind of a round about tedium for the sake of 'correctness'? It's understandable that some people value privacy, others are timid or simply couldn't be bothered. A simple indicator of this (like sbs's sterling CC idea..) would be easy to implement when submitting pics, the comp seems the obvious place.. the less outspoken served as well by having the go ahead to ask questions of photographers. Not that I thought anything necessarily needed a change :| there's all sorts of ways to complicate things.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 9:48 pm

KISS! :)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sat 04 Oct, 2014 1:12 pm

No thanks GPS, not that way inclined :)

I think we have established my voting style, a bit random to be of any use to the OP. Nobody else votes in a similar manner, ever..
And I am just a voter (or was), recently a critic (or was).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 05 Oct, 2014 10:00 am

Kainas wrote:
Tortoise wrote:But I confess that if a really good image has few (if any) votes, because there are so many really good images that month, and there's a stand out winner, I'll often vote for the former, because I think it deserves acknowledgement.
:lol:

Oh yeh I do that too. If I am umming and ahhing about pictures and then I find out one has 20,000 votes, I will choose the other ...

How? I don't see the ongoing results until I've voted. I thought the comp was deliberately set up that way to avoid prior voting affecting a fresh voter's decision. So how do you find out?

stepbystep wrote:
north-north-west wrote:A stickied thread for 'how do I make this better' would be far more effective.

Actually that's an excellent idea. Rather than ppl giving unsolicited advice/criticism a topic simply for constructive criticism(CC) would be a great thing. I'd be happy to help out where I can. There is plenty of free pp softwhere these days that improve things no end.

I wasn't thinking so much about pp - although that's also very useful - but general advice on technical matters. Composition, lighting, exposure . . . more the in-camera stuff to produce something that's worth messing around with, rather than using pp to rescue something that's not quite up to par.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby FootTrack » Sun 05 Oct, 2014 1:26 pm

north-north-west wrote:How? I don't see the ongoing results until I've voted. I thought the comp was deliberately set up that way to avoid prior voting affecting a fresh voter's decision. So how do you find out?

I think if you're yet to log in, the current standings are shown. This is what accidently happened to me last time anyway...
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Sun 05 Oct, 2014 2:29 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Kainas wrote:
Tortoise wrote:But I confess that if a really good image has few (if any) votes, because there are so many really good images that month, and there's a stand out winner, I'll often vote for the former, because I think it deserves acknowledgement.
:lol:

Oh yeh I do that too. If I am umming and ahhing about pictures and then I find out one has 20,000 votes, I will choose the other ...

How? I don't see the ongoing results until I've voted. I thought the comp was deliberately set up that way to avoid prior voting affecting a fresh voter's decision. So how do you find out?

You can click the little link at the top of the poll and it will show you the current standings (even when you are logged in and even if you haven't voted yet).
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Mon 06 Oct, 2014 1:04 pm

Thanks. Now I can forget it and continue voting without that influence.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby icefest » Mon 06 Oct, 2014 1:20 pm

I'd be in support of disabling viewing of the votes (logged in and out) until the vote is complete.

It would cut down on any accusations of cheating according to current vote status.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Gallery