Checking out camp sites. We found a pretty Vic spot.

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Checking out camp sites. We found a pretty Vic spot.

Postby Alittleruff » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 4:52 pm

Thought I'd share these pictures taken yesterday. It's of a spot along the Traralgon creek, Vic. Quite nice. Looking forward to camping there really soon :)
Attachments
DSC_0443.JPG
DSC_0445.JPG
DSC_0491.JPG
Alittleruff
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Checking out camp sites. We found a pretty Vic spot.

Postby MickyB » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 6:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Alittleruff.

It looks like a lot of blackberries down in that gully.

There are lots of good camping spots with great walks further south from that area.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby highercountry » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 7:49 pm

Sorry to sound like a grumpy old spoil-sport but the bush in those shots looks pretty badly degraded to me.
The top two photos look like post logging or intense fire regrowth. Lots of dead and struggling trees. I wouldn't be happy camping under some of those trees. Fair chance one might come down on top of you.
Plenty of weeds all round.
If you're in Gippsland there is a ton of National Park in reasonably good condition. At least the loggers aren't allowed in as with State Forest.
Tarra Bulga National Park is a little south of Traralgon. Tall forests, rainforest, good day walks, good camping, much better quality bush.
Further east Holey Plains State Park has good walking and camping facilities.
Head south as mentioned, or further north into the mountains for a real bush experience.
highercountry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Alittleruff » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 8:45 pm

Micky B- nah, the 'gully' is actually a nice little creek. But yeah, there are some blackberries around. We went further south. LOL. Way further south. At one point I thought we had lost civilization completely. No one really ventures up that way. Two creek crossings, and we were lucky we were in a FWD. Had to slide under a fallen tree on the main road. I'm just wondering if you know the area?

Highercountry- Yep I'm nodding in agreement. The bush is quite degraded. No one really looks after the area. Years ago it was quite popular, and since then some of the camp sites have been completely reclaimed by the bush. Last year we went in and mowed a section to create a path down to the creek. It's quickly overgrown. This area is 'home' ground. A friend of ours grew up across the road and it's now a vacant block that has been sold because the house had perished in the fires, just after they had completed it. We camped on the block there last year for New years. You are right, both post logging and fire regrowth. It's no where near any logging roads though. I don't think a logging truck would want to go out that way without rebuilding the bridges and road... quite tight in places. I deviated from the main 'road' for a little 'look see' bushwalk over a walking bridge over the creek.... interesting, but have no idea still where it might lead. Well built bridge that will probably last a couple of years before floods will take hold.

I think we have 'done' Tarra Bulga so many times, it's well, not a high light of our holidays, more something we always do. I'm probably up there every two weeks or so in the Summer holidays. And spring. For playgroup excursions. To meet up with people. When the kids are 'bored' at home..... It's not far. But, you can't get down to the water, there is no camping. There is a camp ground that is pretty further up, but it's a paid sight.

Also had a look at Morwell National Park on our way home, round the long way, via Jumbuck. But wasn't impressed. Dead wildlife, toilets teaming with stink bugs.

I'll have to check our holey Plains state park. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Alittleruff
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 8:59 pm

When I said further south I meant way further south - down towards Grand Ridge Rd area. There are some great areas for car camping just off that road with tracks along rivers and to 'secret' waterfalls.

I agree about Morwell N.P. Not the nicest part of the area.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Gallery