2016 So Far

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

2016 So Far

Postby cams » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 10:06 am

Hi all. I've had a pretty eventful year so far. Started off by cramming in as many Qld walks as we could before implementing a long term plan to move to Hobart. Here are a few of my favourite photos from along the way.

Purling Brook Falls

Strangler Fig at D'Aguilar NP

Fig Tree Point, Cooloola NP

Waterfall Gorge, Mt Greville

Mt Barney

Bungonia Gorge. On our way to Tassie

Forgotten Lake from Little Hugel

Fagus on Tarn Shelf, Mt Field

Entrance to Maingon Blowhole, Tasman Peninsula

The Neck on Bruny Island

My Wife taking photos of fungi at Mt Field

thanks for looking
Last edited by cams on Wed 08 Jun, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: 2016 So Far

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 11:09 am

Absolutely wonderful! They'll preserve the memories for a long time.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 4:50 pm

Lovely set of images,Cam. How are you enjoying the life down here so far? It's a big change from Qland.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ofuros » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 5:43 pm

Lovely stuff cams.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby cams » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks all.

north-north-west wrote:Lovely set of images,Cam. How are you enjoying the life down here so far? It's a big change from Qland.

Loving it! Pretty much exactly what we hoped it would be. No major surprises so far (except the huge power bill we just got!).
cams

Postby Champion_Munch » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 10:09 pm

Some great stuff there - I particularly like the Little Hugel and the Blowhole shots. It's too bad that you are leaving QLD, I much enjoyed following along with your walking adventures on your blog and seeing the different ways you managed to capture places I have visited many times in a new light.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby stepbystep » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 10:17 pm

Some wonderful pics here cams. Wonderful! Thankyou.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 3:31 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:Some great stuff there - I particularly like the Little Hugel and the Blowhole shots. It's too bad that you are leaving QLD, I much enjoyed following along with your walking adventures on your blog and seeing the different ways you managed to capture places I have visited many times in a new light.

Thanks and likewise on your blog. I'll be relying on blogs like it to keep me updated with things back there. :)

stepbystep wrote:Some wonderful pics here cams. Wonderful! Thankyou.

Thanks Dan
cams

Postby wayno » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 3:23 pm

very nice, what gear are you using there? shoots very nicely under a heavy canopy
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby cams » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 9:31 am

wayno wrote:very nice, what gear are you using there? shoots very nicely under a heavy canopy

Ta Wayno. Original Sony a7. On the day the last one was taken I think I was shooting up to around 2000iso and fairly wide open for handheld stuff. Most used lens for these is the FE16-35f4 which has pretty good IS. Can shoot down to around 1/5 if careful. Last shot was taken with an adapted C/Y Zeiss 35-70mm f3.4. Brilliant lens.
cams

Postby tecais » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 9:52 pm

Excellent color rendition and I note from the EXIF file you use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. I have struggled with Sony ARW development in a different software but never quite achieved this pleasing natural look. You have motivated me to consider upgrading. Cheers, Ted
tecais
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby cams » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 9:53 am

tecais wrote:Excellent color rendition and I note from the EXIF file you use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. I have struggled with Sony ARW development in a different software but never quite achieved this pleasing natural look. You have motivated me to consider upgrading. Cheers, Ted

Thanks Ted. Yes, all with Lightroom, with some finishing off in Photoshop. My approach to processing for the last little while has been to push the files as far as possible (which with the Sony is a long way), and then dial it back to somewhere around "vivid, but believable" (give or take). What this looks like to me is evolving all the time, depending on what sort of mood I'm in and as I gain more experience.
cams

Postby tecais » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 9:16 pm

Good points, Cams. I like "vivid, but believable" as reminder photography is an artistic interpretation given limitations of the medium. Yet your pictures of familiar places illustrate remarkable progress since the old Kodachrome days when we had to struggle under the extreme dynamic range of Queensland sunshine. Post processing was not an option then.
tecais
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby Scottyk » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 10:56 pm

Great pictures Cam
Scottyk

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby Pteropus » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 1:19 pm

Great photos cams :D Having lived and bushwalked in both SEQ and Tas, but currently no longer in either, I got rather nostalgic at your photos since I have walked in almost all those places. I especially loved the fig tree. Of course I have been following your SEQ pics for years when I lived there and moved away, so I hope you can keep up with the photos from Tassie adventures!
The quality of the photography on the forum is amazing these days compared to many photos being posted back when I joined six or so years ago. Not that the photos were bad back them, but so many more exceptional ones now!
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Return to Gallery