Tarn Shelf, Mt Field National Park, Tasmania

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Tarn Shelf, Mt Field National Park, Tasmania

Postby NathanaelB » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 2:51 pm

The last mile of road is gated with access only for club members (there are a few clubs up there) so you can either start at the road or walk in shade for the first bit through the Pandani Grove then get onto the 4WD road up to the Snowgum Track.

I would have loved to do more but a) it was a hot day with Very High Fire Danger rating for the Derwent Valley, and we were travelling with my 2-year-old so I didn't want to neglect my wife and kid for the whole day. I just visited the first few tarns then headed back.

Topographic map of Tarn Shelf

Lake Dobson; there is a short walk just around this lake and to a tarn just next to it:

Gorgeous Pandani:

It was good exercise ascending to the Shelf; heart rate logged with Fitbit Ionic.

There's a section of the Snowgum Track that's more of a "Head towards that cairn, however you see fit" minefield of ankle-breakers:

Naturally there's snow gum on the Snowgum Track:

Lake Seal, which you can get to via the Lake Webster Track:

And my favourite, Snowgentian (Gentianella diemensis)

It was already 23 degrees when I got to the montane but the skinks were still sluggish and reluctant to move off the sunny boardwalk:

You can clearly see the Shelf here:

Revolute Orites (Orites revolutus)

MacKenzie Tarn with Johnston Tarn in the background:

Another view of Lake Seal:

Johnston Tarn:

The stunning Alpine Sundew (Drosera arcturi)

10km return hike. The forecast was for 37 degrees down in the valley but it didn't get above 25 degrees above the treeline.

If I'd had time I'd have liked to go right to Lake Newdegate and The Watcher, then back via K Col. The Tarn Shelf Circuit goes out to Lake Newdegate but returns via Lake Webster.
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Gallery