Royal National Park

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Re: Royal National Park

Postby eggs » Sun 24 Jul, 2011 4:13 pm

5858CurraBrookFall.JPG
First view across to Curra Brook fall

5871CurracurrongFall&EagleRock.jpg
Above Curracurrong Fall with Eagle Rock behind

5881Curra Brook.jpg
The lovely alcove just above the big drop at Curra Brook
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby eggs » Sun 24 Jul, 2011 4:18 pm

I had put this shot up in the Aus Game - but this is a version derived from the RAW image
5886FallsView.JPG
Looking over Curra Brook Fall to Currucurrong Fall

And finally - to really make my year - when taking some photos in the rapidly falling dark at Wattamolla, I tripped and took out my good 17-70mm zoom lens - AGAIN!! :roll:
It was just after taking this photo and I had seen a whale breaching out to sea, but had failed to get a shot of it as it passed by the gap.
5922Wattamolla.jpg
Wattamolla lagoon in the gloom
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 8:51 pm

Any thoughts on whether I could have seen a panther along the track?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Royal National Park

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 9:03 pm

Awesome shots. You were lucky to get in before the rain. We were supposed to be walking it on the weekend but abandoned it due the weather. We managed an exciting 14km in the Berowra valley instead on Sunday with plenty of mud and water :-) As for the panther I know locally we used to have a black ferrel cat that was the size of a decent sized dog. This cat was terrifying and a pain as it killed a lot of local wildlife and used to come out of the bush to pick fights with the local cats and dogs.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby juju » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks for the pics eggs, hear the nostalgia in my voice?
eggs wrote:Any thoughts on whether I could have seen a panther along the track?

I think it depends on how many beers you've had doesn't it?
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pteropus » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi eggs, more great photos from the Nasho :D I am hoping to get down to Sydney for a short trip in Spring, when all the wildflowers are out, and get down to the Nasho for a day or two. If I do, I will surely take plenty of pics and post some here.

Did you say you broke your lens? That is no good. Last year slipped in a creek and the front of my wide angle got dunked, and though I kept it in a zip lock bag with silica crystals for a week, and it never seemed to have moisture inside, it has never been the same since.....

As for a panther, I don’t subscribe to panthers on the loose in bush surrounding the Sydney area. I know professional ecologists who have done extensive wildlife surveys in bush surrounding Sydney, and they have not come across any evidence of a big cat. No one has ever found any prey hidden in a tree (panthers are leopards) and there doesn’t seem to be any other evidence of big cat paw prints or scats. What you saw may have been a dog though, or possibly a large feral cat. Apparently foxes can also be black, though rarely.

By the way, in your photo, the lagoon at Wattamolla looks very full.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby eggs » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks Pteropus

I will get a reputation for breaking cameras - took out a camera and 2 lens last year in the Gammons.
But I now have a nice new 18-135mm Pentax lens in anticipation of some insurance coverage.

Curious that a mate from work in Sydney suggested panthers further out were known - mentioning prey found stuck up in trees as an example?

Yes - I think the flows of water were quite good - though 5 days and 250mm later it would have been something else again.
This is the view over the lagoon out to sea.
It was a bit late to check out the beach down the track - but the level appeared to be well above the sea level from here.
I saw the whale through the gap breaching about 3 times.
Attachments
5918WattamollaSea.jpg
View over Wattamolla lagoon out to sea
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 10:09 am

Fine images indeed.

The Royal Sea Cliffs.

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 11:44 am

Hi eggs. Sorry to hear about your mishap with the lens. Lovely photos, I particularly like the last one. For a different view have you done the short walk to Providential point (aka Boy Martin Point) on the southern side of Wattamolla Lagoon? Also a couple of kms further south on the coast track there is a little side trip inland to a picturesque swimming hole and falls in Curracurrang Gully. A favourite spot, it should be particularly good after heavy rain. Usually water dragons hopping about too.

On the panther, I'm not convinced either way and have an open mind on the subject. I've occasionally seen unusual tracks on sandy fire trails and elsewhere (in the Sydney/Blue Mtns region generally). I suspect most likely dogs, possibly large feral cats. RNP is very close to suburbia so unfortunately the potential for urban escapes is high. I've sometimes encountered irresponsible people walking unrestrained dogs within the park clearly in breach of signage. Usually happens in boundary locations. Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone drove their dog into Wattamolla and let it loose for a walk after ranger patrols had ceased for the day.

An NPWS officer who I know quite well (not from RNP) doesn't believe that a Sydney/Blue Mountains/et al panther exists. Has been called out to investigate sightings on occasion but they've never found anything. I do remember some video footage from a few years ago of an encounter with animal that looked something like a panther (Lithgow area?). I think the official position is that such a creature may exist and government funding has been made available for ongoing research? Apparently you can report sightings to NSW Dept of Primary Industries:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/pests-weeds/vertebrate-pests/other-vertebrate-pests2/pest-reporting/reports-large-black-cats-nsw

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/110919/black-cat-identification.pdf
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks John

I had hoped to get out along the southern side of Wattamolla, but I had let my daughter sleep in and we had only started out well after midday.
So we put priority on the walk south to Curra Brook which was our turn around point.
We crossed through Curracurrang Gully, but I did not notice a side track - I presume it would have followed the creek? Or are you referring to the track inland along Curra Brook?

On the way back we saw a small solar powered light on the cliff tops and made our way through open sections to it.
But in the absence of a track or pad we could not get further towards the lagoon.
We pushed through a tangle of scrub before emerging at 2 large water tanks and from there back to the car park where my last photos were taken and I broke the lens.
It was getting very gloomy by then - as you can see from the photos - so exploring around the lagoon will have to wait another day.
The heavens opened up with rain almost as soon as we got in the car ready to leave.
But we did pause at National Falls on the way out. Very dark by then and still raining - so no photos.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pteropus » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 1:03 pm

It is interesting that you mentioned the water hole on Curracurrang Creek, because I was hoping to use a photo of the water hole in the photo competition if I ever got the chance. I have decided to post it here instead. I have swum there. The dragon I have photographed was also actually on the rocks by that hole too!

I too have seen people walking their dogs in the park. This seems to go on quite a bit in National Parks. I recently saw a family with two dogs (on leads) in a National Park here in Qld. Studies have shown that birds will be scared off by the presence of a dog, even if they are on a leash...

The big cat stuff is interesting, particularly if the state government takes it a little seriously. I do recall that 15 or so years ago, a number of lions escaped a private zoo in western Sydney (could have been Notre Dame?). I think they were shot. Or perhaps that was somewhere else. There also used to be African Lions Safari and Bullen’s Animal World in the region, which I went to as a kid. Someone I once knew swore they once saw some monkeys cross a road behind Camden somewhere...I remain sceptical though. Perhaps there was once large cat that escaped, but the rumours have been around for a long period of time, and it is doubtful there would be a breeding population.

Anyhow, below are some photos from that waterhole on Curracurrang Creek that John mentions.

432 pleasent waterhole.JPG
Water hole on Curracurrang Creek

433 breaking the surface.JPG
This is me, breaking the surface, Curracurrang water hole

442 Eye of the dragon.JPG
Water dragon
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 1:20 pm

eggs wrote:We crossed through Curracurrang Gully, but I did not notice a side track - I presume it would have followed the creek?

Correct. The pad is a bit obscure in a couple of places including the start, but generally follows the northern creek bank. It's not more than about 500 metres in to the waterhole.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 10:13 am

Passing Showers.

Warren.
WarrenH

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby michael_p » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 11:30 am

johnw wrote:
eggs wrote:We crossed through Curracurrang Gully, but I did not notice a side track - I presume it would have followed the creek?

Correct. The pad is a bit obscure in a couple of places including the start, but generally follows the northern creek bank. It's not more than about 500 metres in to the waterhole.

Been to this waterhole a couple of times now. First time the falls where bone dry and it was a stagnant pool and not very inviting. Second time the falls were gushing and the pool was deep, clear and looked so inviting. Anyway, this reminded me of the following photo that was from my first trip up this creek:
echidna.jpg
Echidna blocks access to geocache.
echidna.jpg (79.73 KiB) Viewed 64814 times

The Maltesers container in the background is a geocache and the Echidna was not going anywhere. Needless to say this was one cache that I didn't log until three years later on my second trip up Curracurrang Creek.

A few more happy snaps:
DSC05047.JPG
Carved into the rock - Jibbon Head.

DSC03969.JPG
Whales off Marley Beach.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pteropus » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi all

I was briefly down to Sydney this past weekend and managed to spend a few hours in the Nasho (Royal National Park). I was inspired by juju’s comments about the spring flower displays in the Curra Moors heath, and so since it was spring and I only had a few hours, I walked the Curra Moors Track to Curracurrong on Saturday morning. I also wanted to check out an interesting triangle feature which near Curracurrong Falls, which I discovered in Google Earth. I have posted a poor quality Google Maps screen shot below, to explain what I was looking for. I wasn’t very prepared for scrub bashing and didn’t have gaiters on and despite finding a few overgrown tracks that lead into the bush, the heath was impenetrable and I just didn’t have the time or inclination to get scratched up too much to satisfy my curiosity and find out what the triangle is.
I did, however, take many photos of the wild flowers, and so am posting a few here. My Sydney flora ID is a little rusty and I haven’t spent too much time on ID so if I have made any mistakes with my identification, please feel free to correct me. I have put question marks next to species I am not 100% positive about. As juju had previously commented, the flower display is spectacular in spring and worthwhile checking out if you can.

Cheers
Andrew

Curracurrong triangle.jpg
Mysterious triangle feature near Curracurrong Creek

001 Gompholobium grandiflorum.JPG
Gompholobium grandiflorum?

006 Gompholobium latifolium.JPG
Gompholobium latifolium?

008 Ricinocarpos pinifolius.JPG
Ricinocarpos pinifolius (wedding bush)
008 Ricinocarpos pinifolius.JPG (312.7 KiB) Viewed 64473 times

011 Leptospermum laevigatum.JPG
Leptospermum laevigatum (tea tree)
011 Leptospermum laevigatum.JPG (409.17 KiB) Viewed 64473 times
Last edited by Pteropus on Sun 25 Sep, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pteropus » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 10:06 pm

more flowers from the Curra Moors

014 Isopogon anemonifolius.JPG
Isopogon anemonifolius (drumsticks)

015 Conospermum taxifolium.JPG
Conospermum taxifolium
015 Conospermum taxifolium.JPG (217.11 KiB) Viewed 64473 times

017 Styphelia triflora..JPG
Styphelia triflora

022 Comesperma ericinum.JPG
Comesperma ericinum (matchheads)

025 Calytric tetragona.JPG
Calytrix tetragona (fringe myrtle)
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pteropus » Sun 25 Sep, 2011 10:10 pm

flowers and animals

026 Banksia ericifolia.JPG
Banksia ericifolia (heath banksia)

027 Epacris microphylla.JPG
Epacris microphylla?

029 Doryanthes excelsor.JPG
Doryanthes excelsor (Gymea lily)

031 Wallabia bicolor.JPG
Wallabia bicolour (swamp wallaby)

033 New Holland Honeyeater.JPG
Phylidonyris novaehollandiae (New Holland honeyeater)
033 New Holland Honeyeater.JPG (289.18 KiB) Viewed 64473 times
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

THe Triangle Feature

Postby eddie the eagle » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 6:33 am

Hi Andrew,

If you look on Google Earth just south of Uloola Swamp (about 14km away as the crow flies at a guess,) you'll see the old Horse Training Track, similar width.

There used to be shacks at Curracurrong. Removed I think in the 1950's, this triangle feature is just above them.

To be honest, I think it's a WWII reconnaissance airfield. The area was remote and hard to get to in WWII, Holsworthy Army Barracks took at least three hours to get tanks/troops to the coast as they had to come via Hurstville. The US Army built Heathcote Rd as a quicker form of access.

'tis a guess with no backup, but it certainly looks the part.

Cheers,

eddie
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eddie the eagle » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 7:32 am

Edit: just went looking, found the NPWS guide to park Fauna, well worth a download:

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resou ... eFauna.pdf

p17 refers to military activity in park during WWII
eddie the eagle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pteropus » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks eddie. I have never noticed that horse track near Uloola Swamp before. I have walked the fire trail from Waterfall to Uloola Falls several times too. I guess it is mostly over grown.

The triangle could be a diversionary airfield. According to the ruler in Google Earth the lengths of the triangle are approximately 270 m, 220 m and 180 m. I wondered if it could have had some military significance, like a gun emplacement, though it is in quite a remote section of coast and I doubt would defend very much if it were. I think the park was also used for military exercises, including artillery practice, back in the late 1800’s to early 1900’s. I have seen pictures.

Cheers
Andrew
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pteropus » Thu 19 Apr, 2012 2:03 pm

Lately it has been WET along parts of the east coast of Australia! Maybe you have noticed? I am currently in Sydney for a few days and the rain has been dumping down. It cleared up for a few hours this morning and so I took the opportunity to get down to the Nasho to check out some waterfalls.

085 National Falls.JPG
National Falls - 19-4-2012
085 National Falls.JPG (330.8 KiB) Viewed 63725 times

086 National Falls.JPG
National Falls
086 National Falls.JPG (392.39 KiB) Viewed 63725 times

110 Upper Causeway.JPG
Upper Causeway, Hacking River
110 Upper Causeway.JPG (272 KiB) Viewed 63725 times

089 Audley Weir.JPG
Audley Weir sign
089 Audley Weir.JPG (493.79 KiB) Viewed 63725 times

090 Audley Weir.JPG
Audley Weir, Hacking River
090 Audley Weir.JPG (290.06 KiB) Viewed 63725 times
Last edited by Pteropus on Thu 19 Apr, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pteropus » Thu 19 Apr, 2012 2:07 pm

A few more

095 Boat shed at Audley.JPG
Audley boat shed
095 Boat shed at Audley.JPG (327.14 KiB) Viewed 63725 times

104 Wattamolla.JPG
Wattamolla Falls
104 Wattamolla.JPG (305.33 KiB) Viewed 63725 times

109 Wattamolla.JPG
Wattamolla
109 Wattamolla.JPG (368.18 KiB) Viewed 63725 times
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: The Triangle Feature

Postby Allchin09 » Mon 30 Apr, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi,

After viewing Andrew's post about the Triangle Feature in the RNP, I decided to set out on a quick trip to see if I could get to it. Unfortunately I incorrectly estimated my walking partners capability and wasn't left enough time to reach the feature before sun down so it just became a walk to Eagle Rock.

I was wondering if anyone has any more information regarding the triangle or has reached it yet?
I am planning on a another attempt later on this week, hopefully with more success.

Below is a 1978 image from the Sutherland Shire Council "Shiremap" online service of the area. To me it just looks like three trenches dug in the ground in a triangular shape.

RNP_Triangle_1978.jpg
1978 image of a Triangle Feature in the RNP
RNP_Triangle_1978.jpg (261.7 KiB) Viewed 63678 times
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Re: The Triangle Feature

Postby Pteropus » Tue 01 May, 2012 11:26 am

Allchin09 wrote:Hi,

After viewing Andrew's post about the Triangle Feature in the RNP, I decided to set out on a quick trip to see if I could get to it. Unfortunately I incorrectly estimated my walking partners capability and wasn't left enough time to reach the feature before sun down so it just became a walk to Eagle Rock.

I was wondering if anyone has any more information regarding the triangle or has reached it yet?
I am planning on a another attempt later on this week, hopefully with more success.

Below is a 1978 image from the Sutherland Shire Council "Shiremap" online service of the area. To me it just looks like three trenches dug in the ground in a triangular shape.

Good find Allchin09! If you can get in there and enlighten me that would be good. I was recently down that way but I didn't go to the Curra Moors and decided that bush bashing through heath would be near impossible with the growth that has occurred at the moment. There does seem to be a track that goes through the triangle but when I was down there last year looking for it I couldn't find a way through and ran out of time.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Wed 02 May, 2012 12:48 am

Pteropus wrote:Lately it has been WET along parts of the east coast of Australia! Maybe you have noticed? I am currently in Sydney for a few days and the rain has been dumping down. It cleared up for a few hours this morning and so I took the opportunity to get down to the Nasho to check out some waterfalls.

Yes I noticed :wink:. I missed visiting RNP at the time and it has dried out quite a bit now. Some classy shots there Andrew. Last time I photographed National Falls I stood in the middle of the creek with a tripod to do it. I see on this occasion that would not likely have been possible :lol:.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pteropus » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 9:23 pm

I came across the book The First National Park - A Natural For World Heritage from this site.

I think it might interest some people on the forum, and despite not being a gallery topic, I thought the gallery thread Royal National Park thread most appropriate for posting this, instead of making a new nasho park thread in the NSW forum.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby iandsmith » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 3:14 pm

Nice stuff fellas. All I've ever done is ride a bike through there on the annual Gong ride and, frankly, I couldn't have cared less about nature after the first 50 kms! Nice to see someone was on the job though, some inspirational stuff there. Cheers, Ian
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 10:26 pm

Related to some previous posts. 'Panthers' seen by friends in Kentlyn, near Campbelltown, and friends on their property that adjoins the Watagans. I was unaware of this when house sitting for these friends. One night the dogs all went off, I went out with a torch, felt all the hairs raise up on my neck, goose walked over my grave stuff, serious hebie jeebies, felt something was watching me as I went down to check on the mare and foal. Dreamt of a black panther that night after I went back in. You should have seen the look on my friends' faces when I told them on their return. Their neighbour has had mutilated calves, killed in the paddock. Not wild dogs. Was a bit spooky
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby diantsvetkov » Sun 09 Feb, 2014 10:57 am

I wish I had at least a couple of lifetimes to explore the thousands of beautiful places around the world. These pictures are just an example of how many beautiful sights are still out there to see and explore. Keep sharing more of these, they are amazing.
My passion for hiking and exploring the outdoors keeps me alive. And I never go anywhere without a good pair of hiking boots.
diantsvetkov
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby Pteropus » Sun 23 Nov, 2014 1:50 pm

This AMAZING time-lapse of the RNP was posted to the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service facebook page this morning -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB4tHCJLsdg
Makes me a bit home-sick for the nasho...
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery