Du Cane Range

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Du Cane Range

Postby frenchy_84 » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 4:31 pm

Over the Easter break a friend and I decided to do the peaks of the Du Cane Range north of the Labyrinth including the Acropolis and both Geryon Peaks, 30 points in total (for those counting). Thanks go to Stu Bowling and Robbie McLaine for their advice and John (who we met at Pine Valley) for the best way from Geryon South to the Labyrinth.
Boarding the 9am ferry Friday morning and we were met with low level cloud but fortunately it wasn’t raining. So we pushed on to pine valley hut and after 2 hours we arrived for some lunch and to stake our claim for 2 beds. After lunch we headed up the Acropolis where we enjoyed 50m visibility.

_DSC0002.jpg

_DSC0008.jpg

Next morning saw us start the day early walking with head torches to find the start of the track to Geryon Base camp. Stopping momentarily for a waterfall on Cephissus Creek and to wonder at the age of the massive King Billy pines surrounding us.
_DSC0022.jpg

Once reaching Geryon camp we dumped the packs and proceeded up the steep and not particularly stable rock scree below Geryon South. The majority of the ascent was completed in cloud cover similar to the preceding day on the Acropolis (which may have been a blessing in disguise because we were unable to gain an appreciation of the drop off below us). As I am yet to walk in the Arthurs the level of exposure was rather new for me and I can admit that there were a few stages of wondering what I had got myself into. Upon reaching the summit the cloud lifted momentarily for a view of the walk to come. After a celebratory lemon sherbet our minds then focused on the task of getting down.
_DSC0029.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Du Cane Range

Postby frenchy_84 » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 4:35 pm

_DSC0033.jpg

After some lunch at Geryon camp we proceeded up into the Labyrinth and camped at the incredibly beautiful Lake Helios.
_DSC0052.jpg

_DSC0076.jpg

_DSC0078.jpg

_DSC0118.jpg
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tazz » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 4:36 pm

Very impressive landscape.
tazz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby frenchy_84 » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 4:41 pm

_DSC0137-2.jpg

Next morning we left our packs at the campsite and went for a stroll up Mt Hyperion and Mt Eros after 2 and abit hours we were back at camp packing up before heading towards Geryon North peak. With Geryon north in the bag we headed to the high point of the du cane and then down through the boulders of big gun pass. After the climb out of big gun I was certainly looking forward to camp on Mt Massif, the boulder hoping had taken its toll on my feet, one toe nail on the way off and a few blisters starting to form (note to self, never buy cheap boots ever again).
_DSC0176.jpg

_DSC0183.jpg

Next morning saw a rather relaxed start to the day as we only had to go as far as the Windy Ridge Mc Mansion. After boulder hoping to the summit of Falling mountain we had the final peak in the bag, and only one more decent for my feet to tackle. A couple of hours later we were at Windy Ridge. Next morning gave my boots one last chance to inflict pain onto my feet before they were thrown in to the bin before catching the 1.30 ferry from Narcissus. All in all it was a sensational walk, slightly disappointed it was not a week or 2 later in the year as the huge expanse of Fagus on the range was only just starting to turn, however with such fine weather I cant get to greedy.
_DSC0229.jpg

_DSC0238.jpg
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stepbystep » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 4:49 pm

Fantastic, thanks for sharing!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 5:04 pm

Very nice pics... erm, that 5th pic, is that the notorious sloping slab up Geryon Sth? *shudder*
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby frenchy_84 » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 5:09 pm

yeah thats the sloping slab, due to the clouds it was also wet. i didnt really enjoy the summit of Geryon South because i was thinking about was going back down it.
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkinTas » Wed 07 Apr, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks Frenchy, great stuff. Beautiful photos. You should write up a trip report and put it in the competition. :D
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stu » Thu 08 Apr, 2010 8:51 am

Great photos frenchy, thanks very much for sharing.
The Southern Reserve is an amazing place.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 08 Apr, 2010 5:23 pm

Nice pics - thanks for posting :-)

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ollster » Thu 08 Apr, 2010 5:41 pm

frenchy_84 wrote:yeah thats the sloping slab, due to the clouds it was also wet. i didnt really enjoy the summit of Geryon South because i was thinking about was going back down it.

Yup, I would've been "code brown". It's a very good photo for sufficiently "explaining" the commitment required.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby frenchy_84 » Thu 08 Apr, 2010 6:08 pm

code brown was certianly how i was explaining it to friends.
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ciaran » Thu 08 Apr, 2010 8:31 pm

Very, very nice.
Am planning to go there later this year, thanks for keeping up my inspiration.
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Steve » Sun 11 Apr, 2010 12:00 am

Wow, some really nice shots you got there!
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bap » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 5:35 pm

Where abouts did you camp at Lake Helios when I camped there earlier this year I found it hard to find a flat site which wasn't damp? Or did you camp on the rock slabs?
It is easier to go down a hill than up, but the view is much better at the top.
Bap
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby frenchy_84 » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 8:38 am

we camped in the south east corner, it wasnt to damp. we sat and cooked on the rock slabs near by. if you wanted somewhere drier up on the saddle to the south towards Eros would be better but you would be further away from good water.
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mickeymoo » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 12:44 pm

Great shots Frenchy, the zoom in during exposure shot is interesting too. The 5th shot is pretty cool and the person adds some scale.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jay 74 » Tue 04 May, 2010 10:06 pm

awsome pics,looking forward to my pass more and more.thanks!
jay 74
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby WarrenH » Fri 07 May, 2010 4:01 pm

Frenchy, I hope that you don't mind me saying? ... I see more than your love of your time spent in the bush, in your work. The ambience, is splendid and tastefully under-stated.

Your first photograph, is simply grand. It is like seeing stage one of the piecing together of a cathedral ... the rich stained glass windows that you chose, fit very nicely.

Warren.
WarrenH

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby frenchy_84 » Sat 08 May, 2010 7:16 am

thanks very much for the compliments. im only a beginner to DSLR photography and so appreciate the kind words.
cheers
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mjdalessa » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 9:51 pm

Can you post more info on the last bit of Geryon South?
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa

Postby frenchy_84 » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 10:51 pm

The route is easy enough to follow with cairns marking the way. My memory is abit hazy but as far as the ascent goes you climb up on to the ridge line a fair way south of the peak then continue along the ridge towards the peak as you get closer you then drop down a little bit before then heading up to the ridge to the base of the summit tower which is where the sloping slab is. Up until this stage there are only a few minor step sections. Then its the sloping slab, if it was 1 metre off the ground you would walk along it without even thinking about it, but instead its a straight 300m drop on one side and a 50m (with a few bumps) on the otherside. So it can be abit nerve racking but in hindsight its not that bad(We did it in the wet but there were clouds hiding the drop). I certainly didnt look graceful going back down it. Then after that its a series of short "climbs" (rockclimbers wouldnt call it climbing) where you have to climb up a metre or 2 before getting another secure footing, so a fall here would also hurt but after that your at the top. Its not a terribly difficult mountain to get to the top of its just that a fall in certain areas could be fatal (which is the case on alot mountains)
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mjdalessa » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, it was very helpful. Just one more question: are you climbing in any places with a direct drop (not just working up safe feeling ledges)?
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa

Postby frenchy_84 » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 10:11 am

not really, but if you fell in some places then ledge below would probably be to small to land on and you would most likely fall down another drop. I sent you a PM and as its still in my outbox so i assume you havent read it, check that out when you have a chance
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tibboh » Sun 03 Mar, 2013 5:25 pm

Just awesome, especially the one on G.South and the last two......This is why we walk!
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Gallery