Mt Ossa day trip - 15th Apr

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Mt Ossa day trip - 15th Apr

Postby Phil » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:14 am

Well as Step by Step mentioned in a previous post, I threw on my sneakers and decided to go for bit of an adventure last week. I love running/jogging, and love bush walking, and every now and then I like to put the two together and this trip was one that I've been meaning to do for a while - up the Arm River Track, connect onto the Overland, summit Mt Ossa, and back out in the day.

I was fortunate enough to have a conversation with 'son of a beach' only a week before my trip to gather some more detailed information on the condition of the Arm River Track as he and his lovely wife had only just wandered up that way a few days earlier. This conversation put my mind at ease (it was more for my wife's sake actually!) and so I packed my gear and headed off in the dark from Launceston at 5am last Thursday morning.

I was on the track at 7am, reached new Pelion hut just after 9am, and found myself standing on the summit of Ossa at about 11:15am. As SBS mentioned, we were a bit clouded in on the top and had no views to the south or west. The weather would move from time to time to allow views to the north and east but on the way back down (around Doris), views were fantastic!

It was a perfect Autumns day for the trip with hardly a breath of air and we were able to enjoy sunny skies for most of the day (except for on Ossa :evil: ). I left the summit at exactly 1pm (after about 1.5 hours on the summit recovering from the trip in!) and made good time to be back at the car at 5:15pm.

Overall, I made better time than what I had forecast (about 4hrs each way) and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Other than the obvious sections - beginning of the Arm River Track and from Pelion Gap to Ossa summit, I was able to jog large sections of the journey in, with the trip out theoretically being easier except for the fact that I was now working with a fatiguing body!

Here's a couple of my pics..........now for my next adventure??????

Phil
Attachments
20100415 Mt Ossa walk+run.jpg
20100415 Mt Ossa walk+run (1).jpg
20100415 Mt Ossa walk+run (2).jpg
Last edited by Phil on Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Ossa day trip - 15th Apr

Postby Phil » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:16 am

a few more pics.........
Attachments
20100415 Mt Ossa walk+run (3).jpg
20100415 Mt Ossa walk+run (4).jpg
20100415 Mt Ossa walk+run (4).jpg (455.25 KiB) Viewed 6935 times
20100415 Mt Ossa walk+run (5).jpg
Phil

Postby Phil » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:16 am

last one.
Attachments
20100415 Mt Ossa walk+run (6).jpg
Phil

Postby SueOfTheSouth » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:25 am

I enjoyed your report Phil, what a great day you had. I remember many years ago when our kids were quite young taking 6 hours just to get to the Douglas River, and that was with a lot of coaxing.
SueOfTheSouth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:26 am

Well done Phil. I think you guys are crazy, but that's just because my body ain't cut out for that sort of thing. You even managed to get some great photos along the way, too!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby stu » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 12:34 pm

Yeah, nice work Phil, I do love those big day trips :D
I've heard about this new 'alternative' start to the Arm River track with less of the uphill sting that the main track has (the one that starts at the next road up from the regular road used to access the Arm River track); i'd guess this 'alternative' could have shaved a little more off your times?
It's a very good track these days, especially with the long sections of boarding around Lake Eyr area.
Again, nice work & thanks for sharing the trip report / photos.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Phil » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 3:04 pm

stubowling wrote:Yeah, nice work Phil, I do love those big day trips :D
I've heard about this new 'alternative' start to the Arm River track with less of the uphill sting that the main track has (the one that starts at the next road up from the regular road used to access the Arm River track); i'd guess this 'alternative' could have shaved a little more off your times?
It's a very good track these days, especially with the long sections of boarding around Lake Eyr area.
Again, nice work & thanks for sharing the trip report / photos.

Hey stu

Yeah, someone else also told me about this track....I think he called it the 'Maggs track'? (well it's off Maggs rd anyway). I decided to take the sligthly shorter but much steeper Arm River Track as I have walked it before and knew what to expect.......and being that I had a time limit for the trip I wanted to make sure that I knew where I was going!!

The track is certainly much friendlier these days as you mentioned, hence beaing able to wear the jogging shoes; I remember doing it about 12 years ago.......there were some real muddy sections to play with back then!

Phil
Phil

Postby Nick S » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 7:55 pm

Yeah we used this track on a recent trip up Mt Pilinger. Definitely feels quicker and less of a climb than the usual Arm river track.
Some nice forest as well.
Nick S

Postby Lizzy » Mon 19 Apr, 2010 9:29 pm

ohhhh you Taswegians are lucky little buggers with all those nice walks down the road!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Phil » Tue 20 Apr, 2010 1:18 pm

Lizzy wrote:ohhhh you Taswegians are lucky little buggers with all those nice walks down the road!

.......and all in a day's work!
Phil

Return to Gallery