Snowy South

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Snowy South

Postby Taurë-rana » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:00 pm

Lake Skinner.jpg
Lake Skinner.jpg (103.93 KiB) Viewed 30041 times
Towards the top.jpg
Towards the top.jpg (144.87 KiB) Viewed 30041 times
Ice bush.jpg
Ice bush.jpg (102.54 KiB) Viewed 30041 times
Nevada Peak.jpg
Nevada Peak.jpg (61.64 KiB) Viewed 30041 times
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Snowy South

Postby Taurë-rana » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 12:05 pm

From the peak.jpg
From the peak.jpg (83.26 KiB) Viewed 30039 times
Pandani.jpg
Pandani.jpg (206.17 KiB) Viewed 30039 times
Icy tarn.jpg
Icy tarn.jpg (131.65 KiB) Viewed 30039 times
Strollers.jpg
Strollers.jpg (163.85 KiB) Viewed 30039 times
Picture of a picture taker.jpg
Picture of a picture taker.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 30039 times
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby abowen » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 3:07 pm

Nice pictures Rachel. One of my favourite spots. I have always found on this climb that following the cairns is not the best way to go, but I inevitably get drawn towards them - must be a security thing!
How did you find the climb from Skinner? I have done this a number of times both in winter and summer. Most memorable would have been going up and down on a stinking hot day in the mid to high 30's. Started to dry reach on the way down even though I had plenty to drink and at the bottom I jumped clothing and all straight into the lake. I was surprised how cold the water was - but boy it was such a relief to cool down.
Nevada Peak and Wet Pants are nice walks also. There are afew nice tarns on this walk - Woolleys Tarn half way up and Snowdrift Tarn nestling just under Nevada.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 4:01 pm

abowen wrote:.....I was surprised how cold the water was.....

....bet it was colder Tuesday, my hand just about snapped off after filling my water bottle!

Here's a pic....
Attachments
Lake Skinner from above.JPG
Lake Skinner from above
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 4:25 pm

Heres another - a pano from the summit
Attachments
Pano of view.JPG
Weld to Nevada...
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby abowen » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 4:44 pm

Yes Dan,
The lake would have been deadly. The views are great though - particularly to the west.
Have you done Nevada or Wet Pants? Should arrange a small group and a time to wander in. If Nevada is in snow, you would probably need snow shoes to get across the top plateau. It has one of those summits that appears close, but like Wedge, you climb one false summit then another and then another before you see the final ridge to climb.
I am walking this weekend up onto Cathedral Mtn and starting to get nervous about the cold conditons which we will have to endure for a couple of nights and days. May have camp at Lake Chapter rather than Chalice if the conditons are snowy. Time will tell.
Cheers
Andrew
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 6:44 pm

abowen wrote:Yes Dan,
The lake would have been deadly. The views are great though - particularly to the west.
Have you done Nevada or Wet Pants? Should arrange a small group and a time to wander in. If Nevada is in snow, you would probably need snow shoes to get across the top plateau. It has one of those summits that appears close, but like Wedge, you climb one false summit then another and then another before you see the final ridge to climb.
I am walking this weekend up onto Cathedral Mtn and starting to get nervous about the cold conditons which we will have to endure for a couple of nights and days. May have camp at Lake Chapter rather than Chalice if the conditons are snowy. Time will tell.
Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew, haven't done Nevada before, thought I might leave it to the longer days, so I could get to Woolleys Tarn and Wet Pants, might even go up the Snowy Sth track and walk the ridgeline between the 2 peaks, give more time to take in those views to the West.
Have fun at Cathedral!!!
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gor » Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:23 am

I walked in to Nevada Peak from Lake Skinner earlier this month. The pictures here (particularly "From the peak", "Pandani" and "Icy tarn") give a good indication of what to expect as far as the terrain goes. There is a lot of rock hopping, and although some of it can be missed by detouring off the more direct routes, a majority of it is unavoidable. Most of the rock has very coarse crystals that provide good grip, but there are also many slippery patches of lichen that look the same as the rest. I expect it would be pretty tough going in icy conditions, but it was quite reasonable when I did it.
Gor
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Geevesy » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 5:39 pm

Gor wrote:I walked in to Nevada Peak from Lake Skinner earlier this month. The pictures here (particularly "From the peak", "Pandani" and "Icy tarn") give a good indication of what to expect as far as the terrain goes. There is a lot of rock hopping, and although some of it can be missed by detouring off the more direct routes, a majority of it is unavoidable. Most of the rock has very coarse crystals that provide good grip, but there are also many slippery patches of lichen that look the same as the rest. I expect it would be pretty tough going in icy conditions, but it was quite reasonable when I did it.

How did you go with the road Gor? Thinking about heading into Nevada in a fortnight. Was there any flooding in that part of the state this winter?
A path! A path!
Geevesy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Gallery