Desktop version
Bushwalking pictures.

Forum rules

Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.
Post a reply

Re: Ugly, part 1.

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 4:15 pm

This is another reason to go light - you might be carrying out plenty of other *&%$#!' rubbish! Thanks everyone for keeping the bush beautiful. Without enlightened folks like you, we'd all be summiting Mt Garbage.

Ugly, part 1.

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 5:46 pm

I was shocked to see so much rubbish in the camps at a recent hiking trip to Fraser Island.

The great walk camping sites at Fraser island has lockable galvanized containers at each camp site, so you can keep your food and gear away from predators. You could imagine my shock and disappointment when I opened each containers and find that hikers have been using them as a rubbish bin.

Disgraceful some hikers can do this and from the looks of it, a lot. Way to much junk for me to carry out, so I've informed the rangers. It wouldn't surprise me if the parks service remove these containers for our benefit if some hikers continue to use them as rubbish bins.

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 6:38 pm

It's amazing what rubbish you come across when bushwalking, even days away from the cars. One of my worst experiences was probably camping at Pass Creek. I thought we had a pleasant spot till I went into the next tentsite which was scattered with dozens of dumps and piles of toilet paper. Seems like walkers should have to pass some kind of test before they are allowed out - even if it's just to see if they have any common sense and consideration for others.

Sun 26 Jun, 2011 7:12 pm

Yes Graham i have to agree with you. As we went on a kayaking two night trip only to get to our
first campsite to find DUMPS and TOILET paper everywhere you looked, it was a bit like dodge the mine fields.
NOT NICE but surley people could take the time to dig a small hole to do their dumps then fill it in .
or is it just to hard to do.
Cheers Simmo

Sun 13 Nov, 2011 10:09 pm

Camped at Window Pane Bay, we were using the creek for out water, as you do...
Went to the creek one time while there, and floating downstream (obviously on a return voyage from being blown in by a storm) was a used and somewhat rusty can of fly spray.

It's amazing how much rubbish is on the beaches of southwest Tasmania. I took photos, but an reluctant to post them, for fear of spoiling anyone else's time there. It is a blight, but when you're there, you're there for different reasons than to observe the rubbish. It sure was hard to turn a blind eye to it though. Spain Bay for example, many MANY aluminium can bases. Boaties that don't give a damn I presume.

Mon 14 Nov, 2011 7:32 pm

I agree this is a travesty!

When I go walking with the family I always pick up and haul out others trash that I come across, and the kids have picked up on this habit.
Makes me proud seeing this yet so ashamed at its presences in the first place.

Genesis

Thu 22 Dec, 2011 1:53 pm

I had the same situation as the last photo in the original post. We were setting up a group cooking site in the obvious camping area above lake ball, moved a rock to hold down a guy line, and found someone had left us a present. It's disgraceful.

Tue 10 Jan, 2012 9:54 am

Hay how do we go about getting people to clean up there trash. I was up mt wellington other day and there was this couple eating lunch on track at the pipe organ pinnacle junction. I thought nothing of it they had all the right kit on etc when i got back down theyd obviously left but i noticed there was now food wrappers strew off to the side so i picked them up and was a little miffd about it and cause i walk pretty fast i ended up catching up to them. I felt like asking them angily if the wrappers were theirs but i didnt know for sure if it was theirs so i didnt say anything and was just nice and courteously passed them. So what are we suppose to do in situations where we find rubbish apart from carrying it out ourselves. If we actually catch someone do we just climb up a hill and throw rocks at them from a distance? I dont want to be violent or aggressive in any way but my god is it easy to just put your rubbish back into a bag into your pack. As for the toilet paper flowers. . . .Im done with those hahah your on your own ive cleaned up after to many bush doofs to get down and bury them for people.

Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:47 am

Kozzie wrote:Hay how do we go about getting people to clean up there trash.
This is of course a massive question and one that governments all over the world struggle with. I was watching a tv show a couple of nights back and it featured Lord Howe Island. The presentation was based around the impact that rubbish - from countries around the Pacific, especially Australia - is having on islands like Lord Howe. A post-mortem on a mutton bird discovered over 200 pieces of plastic in the birds stomach. The most common litter found on the beaches of Lord Howe Island are plastic balloon ties, because there is one on every balloon released, and they are released in their tens of thousands.

Changing peoples attitudes requires time and massive investment in advertising campaigns. It also requires a change in the attitude of the corporate world so they stop using plastics and non-biodegradable products. How hard would it be to make bio-degradable balloon ties. One way we can change corporate attitude is through consumer pressure. Be careful what you buy. Look for environmentally friendly products and buy them in preference.

As for suspected litterers - always ask. Try something like - "did you guys see that rubbish back there at the start of the track?" You haven't actually accused them, and you can may have a little rant about who would be so rude as to make a mess like that. And finish with something like "if you see any more rubbish it would help a lot if you could carry some of it out". :)

Sun 04 Nov, 2012 1:03 pm

Unfortunately I feel compelled to add to this topic. Went up Mt Barney, East Peak yesterday. Toilet paper everywhere in the scrub around the summit. Went back down to the Rum Jungle and there was more toilet paper, especially around the old hut site. It appeared that no attempt had been made to bury it. Most disgustingly though, was seeing used dunny paper scattered IN the dried up creek bed that usually flows down Barney Gorge. I won’t post the photo, we all know what that filth looks like. I know this is a popular destination but I don’t think I have seen so much exposed toilet paper in the bush. It shouldn’t surprise me, but I still wonder at the mentality of people who make the effort to visit remote places for their enjoyment, but can’t respect the environment AND other people who visit these special places...

Sun 04 Nov, 2012 7:09 pm

Next to the truck rest bay on the Appin to Bulli Rd right on the edge of a National Park:
DSC06952.jpg

Sun 04 Nov, 2012 7:10 pm

Just one thing to say...

TAKE YOUR RUBBISH WITH YOU !!!!

It is not that hard !

Genesis

Mon 05 Nov, 2012 10:38 am

If you think this is bad, go walking in Nepal. There is rubbish everywhere on the tracks. I have to say that the nepalise is the issue.The locals usually just tip the rubbish into the nearest river.

Mon 05 Nov, 2012 6:46 pm

Wow - first time i have seen this thread. Unbelievable to me that people who would take the trouble to walk into Shelf Camp with gear to camp would leave so much junk.

Pteropus wrote:Unfortunately I feel compelled to add to this topic. Went up Mt Barney, East Peak yesterday. Toilet paper everywhere in the scrub around the summit. Went back down to the Rum Jungle and there was more toilet paper, especially around the old hut site.

Rum Jungle has been like this for at least 20 yrs. I think school groups camp there. I have always refused to camp there - i know it is the official designated area but I figure no one can ever tell where i did camp so can't be too bad.

It really deserves the installation of a drop pit toilet - not because these people deserve it, but because the bush does (only practical solution).

Mon 05 Nov, 2012 9:37 pm

That's why there is hardly any places to legally camp any more.
I am a messy camper myself, however when I leave I take everything with me and am very careful about where I take a crap and whatever water I source.

Since I have started hammock camping, I now enjoy going places that most people would not dare go.
1 Set Up by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

I will barely ever camp in a designated areas, because most people not only litter, but treat each other like garbage as well. I go to where it takes a lot of effort to get too. Works for me.

Sat 24 Aug, 2013 9:34 pm

Saw this in a state park today. There were chairs, a couple of tents , pillows, sleeping bags and heaps of rubbish. Looks like it had been there for a month or two. It was like aliens had abducted the campers and left all their belongings there. It was disgraceful.
Attachments
Weird 1.jpg
Weird 2.jpg

Sat 24 Aug, 2013 11:03 pm

That seems a bit strange that people would just abandon a camp site unless they were injured or had to leave in a big hurry. Maybe you should enquire if there was an emergency evac in the area or if anyone has been reported lost. You certainly should report it to the local authorities to investigate.

Sun 25 Aug, 2013 8:32 am

walkinTas wrote:That seems a bit strange that people would just abandon a camp site unless they were injured or had to leave in a big hurry. Maybe you should enquire if there was an emergency evac in the area or if anyone has been reported lost. You certainly should report it to the local authorities to investigate.

I did think about that but why put all of their rubbish on the tent? If there was an emergency you would either leave everything as is or if you had time, take everything. Not neaten up your camp area by placing the rubbish on the tent. There were also no cars in the area. I will certainly report the mess to the local authorities.

Sun 25 Aug, 2013 8:57 am

Some shockers and some thought provoking stuff there. Since I only overnight camp in my motorhome I don't see what a lot of you guys come across but I've certainly seen my share of rubbish on the trails.
Photos are of a remote spot in W.A. I spent the night at called Table Island picnic spot. Shows what disgusting habits and a lack of maintenance can lead to. Cheers all.
Attachments
Table Island picnic spot (14).jpg
Where the rubbish should have gone
Table Island picnic spot (14).jpg (48.52 KiB) Viewed 24763 times
Table Island picnic spot (21).jpg
Couldn't believe how many there were
Table Island picnic spot (21).jpg (121.14 KiB) Viewed 24763 times
Table Island picnic spot (17).jpg
I declined to use this amenity!
Table Island picnic spot (17).jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 24763 times
Table Island picnic spot (1).jpg
It wasn't all bad
Table Island picnic spot (1).jpg (59.11 KiB) Viewed 24763 times

Sun 10 Nov, 2013 3:11 pm

MickyB wrote:Saw this in a state park today. There were chairs, a couple of tents , pillows, sleeping bags and heaps of rubbish. Looks like it had been there for a month or two. It was like aliens had abducted the campers and left all their belongings there. It was disgraceful.

Ummmmmm, is that on Brocks Road, near one of the river crossings? Because it looks a lot like a spot I passed last summer, with the chairs and gear (which was neatly covered with the tarp at that stage).

Sun 10 Nov, 2013 7:33 pm

north-north-west wrote:
MickyB wrote:Saw this in a state park today. There were chairs, a couple of tents , pillows, sleeping bags and heaps of rubbish. Looks like it had been there for a month or two. It was like aliens had abducted the campers and left all their belongings there. It was disgraceful.

Ummmmmm, is that on Brocks Road, near one of the river crossings? Because it looks a lot like a spot I passed last summer, with the chairs and gear (which was neatly covered with the tarp at that stage).

Sorry north-north-west but can't remember the name of the road (Brocks Rd isn't ringing any bells). The photo was taken near Pedersen Weir on Tarago River near Neerim. (I think it's actually State Forest, not State Park)

Sun 10 Nov, 2013 8:01 pm

I wonder how much of all that were alcohol related residue? Not all, but looked to be a significant portion.

Tue 12 Nov, 2013 11:24 am

GPSGuided wrote:I wonder how much of all that were alcohol related residue? Not all, but looked to be a significant portion.

It was a significant portion, GPSGuided. Thre was beer and wine bottles also scattered nearby.

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 10:06 pm

I reckon this is all caused by 4WDers.

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 10:15 pm

Buddy wrote:I reckon this is all caused by 4WDers.

because no self respecting bushwalker would do anything like that. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13953

I'd agree that it's more likely that it was someone with a car, it's just blanket statements like that that irk me.

Sat 23 Nov, 2013 11:14 pm

Care to back that up?

Sun 24 Nov, 2013 1:13 am

"All" may have been the supernumerary word in that sentence.

Sat 30 Nov, 2013 11:31 pm

icefest wrote:

because no self respecting bushwalker would do anything like that. http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13953

I'd agree that it's more likely that it was someone with a car, it's just blanket statements like that that irk me.

Actually,I was being facetious. There is sometimes a holier-than-thou attitude here by walkers towards 4WDers, and this thread puts things into some kind of perspective,I must say.

Sun 01 Dec, 2013 4:43 pm

We've been hiking some of the trails in the Flinders Ranges. One of the things commented about was how clean they all were.
Post a reply