The ORIGINAL Lake Pedder

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

The ORIGINAL Lake Pedder

Postby tas-man » Tue 20 May, 2008 2:06 pm

Having only recently been thrust into the world of YouTube (after posting my New Harbour Range sunrise panorama video) I have finally been motivated to add a sound track to my digital conversion of a super 8 movie that was shot by a friend of Lake Pedder. The link is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0qoYQ_AzPU I hope it may keep the memories alive for those of you where were privileged to visit it.

Here also is one of my fading Agfa CT18 slides of Lake Pedder from the Frankland Range that I have scanned and colour balanced, taken December 1971, the last summer before the beach was drowned by the rising waters of the Serpentine & Gordon Dams. Has anyone else got treasured photos of the original Lake Pedder to add?

Lake Pedder.jpg
Pedder from Franklands 1971.jpg
Last edited by tas-man on Fri 08 Oct, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: The ORIGINAL Lake Pedder

Postby Mickeymoo » Tue 20 May, 2008 2:35 pm

Nice work Ian, I'm one from the unlucky generation that never got to see it :( but it still lives on through photos and videos fortunatly :) thanks for sharing.
Last edited by Mickeymoo on Tue 20 May, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 20 May, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks for sharing these Ian. Like Mickeymoo, I also never had the opportunity to see it in person for myself.

Note to all: Please use this other topic for any discussion of Lake Pedder that is not directly related to pictures/videos posted in this topic here.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby norts » Tue 20 May, 2008 4:05 pm

I had a nostalia trip with my Father a couple of weekends back, super 8 home movies of two of his walks into Pedder and 3 trips through the Park. One was his first overnight walk - Lake Pedder. He still remembers his blisters and aching body and that was 40 years ago.
I was lucky enough to go in but was to young to really appreciate how lucky and priveleged I was.
Keep the old photos coming I say, love to see old walking photos. David Noble ( poster here) has a few of his old walks on his site. Love seeing the old gear.
Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pedro » Tue 20 May, 2008 6:47 pm

A few pics from around 1971 in the area around Maria Creek:
Maria Creek 1.jpg

Maria Creek 2.jpg

Lake Pedder_006.jpg
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby TassieMargie » Wed 21 May, 2008 9:53 am

Way cool shots. I wasn't even born when they were taken. Thanks for sharing them.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pedro » Wed 21 May, 2008 7:25 pm

And a few more mediocre scans of old slides:
The Beach from the Frankland Range
Lake Pedder_010.jpg

This was put on the beach towards the end. I wonder if its still there?
Truganini.jpg

There was a real down side to the enthusiasm generated by the campaign. Too many people visited the Lake without a thought to what they were doing.
Lake Pedder_012.jpg
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 26 May, 2008 10:36 am

Was telling my father in law about these photos and it reminded him of the time he landed a plane on the beach there. (obviously before the flooding - LOL) He tells me it was on November 2nd 1969. Unfortunately he did not get any photos. The plane was a P A 32 piper six seater.

Things were different in those days.
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pedro » Mon 26 May, 2008 6:46 pm

Flying in was definitely a popular thing to do:
Landing at Pedder.jpg

Landing at Pedder 2.jpg

Landing at Pedder 3.jpg

Sorry about the dusty scans - I'll clean them one day - maybe :-(
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flyfisher » Mon 26 May, 2008 8:57 pm

We'll put up with the dust, they'r great historical shots. 8) 8)
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby tasadam » Tue 27 May, 2008 1:02 pm

I have a good neg / slide scanner. For the purpose of making your historical ORIGINAL Lake Pedder shots digital for publication here, contact me.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby TassieMargie » Wed 28 May, 2008 10:19 am

WOW This is such a cool thread, well done. Love all the images and would have loved to have seen it for myself. How many of you actually saw it? did you walk or fly in?
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Pedro » Fri 30 May, 2008 10:22 pm

Here are a few more. I must confess that at the time I was actually working for the HEC, living at Strathgordon and walking in to Pedder on the Weekends. As most of you would know, I wasn't the only one who worked for the HEC at the time, but was very unhappy with what they were doing.
Lake Pedder 2.jpg

Lake Pedder 3.jpg

Lake Pedder 4.jpg

Unfortunately, a lot of the camping area behind the dunes was on peat. The camp fires didn't always go out. Like everyone else, I carry a fuel stove these days and I don't miss the camp fires at all. The cooking gear stays clean and you don't end up smelling of smoke.

I've yet to see anyone try to attach names to some of the faces here. As a starter, the pole vaulter further up in this thread is Geoff Batten.

Pedro
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby dee_legg » Sat 31 May, 2008 10:57 am

Yeah, GREAT shots! I will have to walk into Lake Rhonda one day soon to get an idea of what Pedder was like.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Sat 21 Jun, 2008 10:51 pm

Frankland-Pedder.png

Dancing-Trees-Pedder.png

Two photographs by Olegas Truchanas of Lake Pedder were released by Melva Truchanas as greeting cards in 2006 to promote awareness of the issue.

Source: Virtual Tasmania, August 25, 2006
http://www.coastview.com.au/site/vt/art ... nch_today/

“Truchanas’ work has been widely praised by photographers, artists and environmentalists, but until now the images have rarely been seen and never before published in significant quantity. Melva Truchanas has released two of them to promote awareness of the possibility of restoring the lake to its original state.

An informative text on the back of the cards encapsulates the story of Lake Pedder and provides a brief background on Truchanas.

For Tasmanians, the name of Olegas Truchanas is synonymous with the lost Lake Pedder. Slide shows of his haunting photographs of the lake before its inundation by the Hydro Electric Commission played to standing-room-only audiences in the late 1960s.

Truchanas, for some time a clerk at the Hydro, was prevented from speaking out about the destruction of what he saw as one of the jewels of Tasmanian landscape. Instead, he let the pictures speak for him. So powerful were the images that a campaign to save the lake sprang up; it did not succeed, but it formed the foundation of a robust environmental movement.

He had spent many years exploring and photographing the wilds of Tasmania and was often the first non-indigenous person to traverse many parts of the rugged interior of the island. In 1967, the Hobart bushfires destroyed his home and with it virtually his entire collection of images.

He set out to retrace his exploration and recording of the wilderness, but in 1972, while photographing the Gordon River on a mission to replace his lost slides, he was tragically drowned. The cards are published as a tribute to his memory and to his pioneering work in raising consciousness of Tasmania’s threatened natural beauty. “
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chris » Sun 22 Jun, 2008 12:17 am

[quote="tas-man"]
“Truchanas’ work has been widely praised by photographers, artists and environmentalists, but until now the images have rarely been seen and never before published in significant quantity.

After Truchanas' death a group of his friends chaired by Max Angus compiled and published a superb book "The World of Olegas Truchanas". It includes 44 magnificent colour plates of his images, as well as much biographical information. We treasure our copy and highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in superb images or the lost treasures of Tasmania. The State Library has several copies (all of the 8th edition!) which are currently available at many libraries around Tas.

There's also a terrific film called "Wilderness" which was produced by Launceston man Scott Millwood in (I think) 2003. It covers the work of Truchanas and Dombrovkis, and seems to appear on late night ABC TV quite often. Highly recommended.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Sun 22 Jun, 2008 1:47 am

Chris wrote:There's also a terrific film called "Wilderness" which was produced by Launceston man Scott Millwood in (I think) 2003. It covers the work of Truchanas and Dombrovkis, and seems to appear on late night ABC TV quite often. Highly recommended.

Catch it here. http://www.abc.net.au/tv/wildness/default.htm
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Sun 22 Jun, 2008 9:51 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/wildness/landscape1.htm
As hosted by the ABC.
Worth going through the gallery too.

I have borrowed the book from the library and indeed extended my holding of it for some weeks. There are some amazing images in it, and the story is a captivating read.

Wildness has been on TV a couple of times now. A friend copied it from his PVR (set top box with a hard disk) and now I have it on a DVD.
Everyone from this forum should take a look, you will be interested.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby woka » Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:16 am

I did some hunting through the ABC and Film Australia web sites and found Wildness is included in a DVD set called Wilderness available from ABC shops. So I went down to the local ABC Centre and bought it.

Lot's of interesting documentaries on this. I used to work in Forestry in SW WA and have also spent time in the North West (WA), both of which are represented on the CD. Plus one about Bill Neidge, the traditional owner of Kakadu (I also have his book). There's also a couple of other docs on the Franklin River and Lake Pedder. Plus lots of other stuff!

Definitely worth the $35 from what I've seen so far.
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Mon 06 Oct, 2008 10:18 pm

Just found this by accident- in the National Library of Australia's On Line catalogue. It is the complete original Lake Pedder 105 slide show that Olegas first presented at the Hobart Town Hall and then many other venues around the state and country to inform the public about what would be lost with the flooding of the original Lake Pedder. AMAZING! What is interesting is the inclusion of people in many of Olegas's photos, unlike other wilderness photographers that followed. I quote from the National Library listing "This collection of 105 slides was assembled as an audiovisual presentation "Pedder" by Olegas Truchanas during the struggle to save Lake Pedder from inundation by a proposed hydro-electrical development wherein the small Lake Pedder was used as, and covered by an enlarged impoundement to store water for the greater Lake Gordon Hydro Scheme. The audiovisual was presented with two slides in separate projectors merging the changing images. Set to the music of Frederick Delius the audiovisual presentation travelled to most of the Australian States both before and after Olegas' accidental death in January 1972. Some of these images have been previously published in the books: The World of Olegas Truchanas, Max Angus 1975, and Lake Pedder, Bob Brown 1986, A Big Country ABC series 1988, and the film documentaries Spirit of Olegas ABC 1979, and Wildness Film Australia 2002."

The link to the beginning of the slide collection is here - http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn3885846 - there are 20 slides per page. He is a sample:
Pedder Slide show samples.jpg
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chris » Tue 07 Oct, 2008 10:37 pm

Many thanks for that Ian, that's a great link!
I left Tas just as the Pedder campaign was starting, but remember my mother telling me in a letter about seeing Truchanas' slide show and the terrific impression it made on her. By the time I came back here to live it was all over, and I greatly regret having missed out.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Wed 08 Oct, 2008 8:40 am

tas-man wrote:Just found this by accident- in the National Library of Australia's On Line catalogue. It is the complete original Lake Pedder 105 slide show that Olegas <snip>
Brilliant. Excellent find. Thank you! :!:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby tas-man » Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:04 am

Max Angus "Pedder - The Story, the Paintings".png
Max Angus "Pedder - The Story, the Paintings".png (130.13 KiB) Viewed 135238 times

Here is a new coffee table book of artist Max Angus's watercolour paintings of Lake Pedder, which is about to be released. Here is a link to a pre-release purchase offer that I found, but unfortunately the offer expired on 1st October :(
http://www.lakepedder.org/resources/new ... r_Form.pdf
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lynda Moir » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 12:56 am

Just found this thread and all the comments and photos have brought back so many happy memories. I walked into lake pedder twice - having the rare privilege of growing up in a bushwalking family in Tasmania in the 60s. We did pay the price of being considered completely crazy at that time. In 1971 I co-organised a group of students and staff from Hobart Matriculation College to do the walk. It was a really successful weekend and helped spread the conservation message a liitle further. I visited one of my school friends in Sale, Victoria this year and 37 years later we were still talking about that weekend! I saw Olegas' slideshow on Lake Pedder - an amazing experience. I would like to acknowledge Ralph Hope-Johnson who provided the technical genius to put this show together and travelled Australia with Olegas to get this inspirational show out to the general public.
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby stepbystep » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 9:49 am

'bump' - just cos I can, great thread.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 2:27 pm

Good one Dan!

You know there are some out there that feel the "new" Pedder is better than the original????
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 3:40 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Good one Dan!

You know there are some out there that feel the "new" Pedder is better than the original????

You know I do. It's beautiful, and functional. I also think we need more dams and more hydro. The nostalgic will no doubt attack me for this, but hydro is the lesser of several evils. We could always just dig another beach out on Pedder somewhere?

As a sweetener, I've included a pic of the new and improved Pedder. :wink:
Attachments
Pedder rocks!.jpg
Pedder rocks!.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 134423 times
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Mickeymoo » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 4:52 pm

I've been looking for copies of some Dombrovskis books lately and today came across the book "Lake Pedder" by Bob Brown/The Wilderness Society which I snapped up pretty quickly, I hadn't actually seen this book before but it includes text from Kevin Kiernan and approximately 42 colour photos from various photographers of Lake Pedder and surrounds, a very nice find I thought :) I'd have to say I'd much rather the real Lake Pedder :evil:
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 5:02 pm

Mickeymoo wrote:I'd have to say I'd much rather the real Lake Pedder :evil:

I guess if we didn't have all that water in the way we could've run a road around the back of the Franklands. :wink:
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby stepbystep » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 5:04 pm

Mickeymoo wrote:I'd have to say I'd much rather the real Lake Pedder :evil:

I'm with you Michael(& Mark) - anyone for a dam-busting mision 8) 8) 8)
I'm too young to be nostalgic about it and I've got some pretty speccy photos of the new version.
Don't know if it's the legend of this tale, but to me there is an eerieness and maybe a sadness about the lake as it is today, can't help but think of what an amazing and possibly unparalleled walking destination this must have been ....
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Gallery