Do you paint landscapes?

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Do you paint landscapes?

Postby WarrenH » Sun 28 Aug, 2011 4:58 pm

Do you paint scenes on your walks or from your walks or about your region? ... I like to.

I do rough sketches when walking and take many photos and then simplify the elements that appeal. It can take several trips to see what I want to see.

... and then I try to feel the painterly love. I started several paintings this past week in acrylic on paper and acrylic on canvas and I'll finish these with oil/wax scumbling and multiple oil glazes.

I hope that you enjoy a bit of my week's progress. If you paint your landscape, please post images of your works. I'd certainly like to see your work ... especially progress images. Painting is additive not subtractive ... the more you add?

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Do you paint landscapes?

Postby mjdalessa » Sun 28 Aug, 2011 6:20 pm

Yeah, I do. Images when I get some together.
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa

Region: Tasmania

Postby Kazarina » Mon 12 Mar, 2012 9:14 am

Yes i paint landscapes too. I take photos and sketch in the field and return to the studio to paint. Like you Warren, I tend to simplify the elements that appeal....and add in elements too sometimes..... so the final paintings are a blend of observation and imagination. (see some of my artwork here: http://www.karynfendley.com) I'm working on a series inspired by Girraween National park at the moment and hope to spend a bit of time out there this year.
It's good to see your artworks... I'd love to see more.
Here is one of my finished paintings....
balancingrock[1].jpg
"Balancing Rock" Karyn Fendley acrylic on canvas 50 cm x 70 cm
balancingrock[1].jpg (94.12 KiB) Viewed 68189 times
Kazarina
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:15 pm

http://www.redbubble.com/people/taariqhassan
I hike and I paint as well as dabble in photography.
see the link for examples.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Do you paint landscapes?

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:33 pm

I paint landscapes in water colors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby Kazarina » Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:50 pm

Taariq I'll check out your portfolio on RB.... I'm on there too, but haven't been active there for a while, so I'll respond from there.
Phillip, I wondered when I saw your name whether you might be an artist. Do you have examples online?
Kazarina
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 18 Mar, 2012 6:14 pm

I have just started doing some acrylic paintings of the Mt Howitt area.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Tue 20 Mar, 2012 6:56 pm

Finally this thread is showing some promise, Cheers.

From my first post, the original Monolith Valley sketch, that was done in the field, was not been removed by me, so I'll post it again. Unless SOB re-installs it, I can only post it here.

I've started another 30 paintings, now. The original paintings that had in my first post are now long gone. With the gap of several months between posts, I thought that this was a dead-end thread. Please post away.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun 25 Mar, 2012 8:08 pm

This image might be worth painting. The Wolgan River Valley from above the rail trail.

So far, the build is several washes over pulverized rubber, cross-linked to an acrylic binder ... on hand-made paper.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby Pteropus » Mon 30 Apr, 2012 2:48 pm

I don't paint but this bloke sure could -> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-27/e ... ed/3976774
His paintings are almost as good as your photos Warren :wink: It would be worth a look too for anyone in and around Canberra.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby WarrenH » Tue 01 May, 2012 9:24 am

Pteropus, you're too kind.

A big plus and a second recommendation for the Von Guerard exhibition ... it is absolutely overwhelming. This extraordinary exhibition is free. It was a privilege to see such a large collection of his works, particularly the works from or now galleried in Europe.

On the day the exhibition opened, last Friday, I was one of the first through the door. I started at the very back of the exhibition and worked my way forward and hardly saw anyone for maybe an hour or two. Those that started at the front of the exhibition, had to view each painting competing with dozens of viewers at once. A small tip if you're going. After the first 50-100 works on the first floor (paintings and works on paper) most people looked totally phased-out by the time they reached the top of the stairs on the second floor ... it is a big exhibition.

Von Guerard's several smaller works on paper, painted in Europe are extraordinary. I think that they trumped the larger works, for artistic brilliance. He was more expressive and less pedantic with his earlier works, than he was later in life. Von Guerard made the comment that, no level of preciseness is too much trouble. Well, he certainly practiced what he preached.

The painting 'Weatherboard Creek Falls' (nowadays called Wentworth Falls) would have more than a million brushstrokes, done in perfectly, perfect detail. The exhibition should have been called 'Retail Detail', for the commissioned works. If I only find one camera lens as sharp as Von Guerard's 000 sable brush, I'll die happy.

Recently an owner of one of the properties that Von Guerard painted, has claimed to have re-landscaped the property, to the historic record shown in one of the works. I doubt that they got it right, there would be leaves and blades of grass out of place, surely. Von Guerard would not have approved of the partial result.

Last Christmas I read Professor Bill Gamage's latest book, 'The Largest Estate on Earth' where he describes what the Australian landscape was like prior to European invasion. Gamage has similar descriptions to those made by Hume and Hovell to Australia being like a gentleman's park, in the regions that they (H&H) explored, during their 1824-25 expedition. Von Guerard has detailed the record of much of this landscape ... blade by blade, leaf by leaf. This coming Friday I'll go and see what works are on the lower floor. One must condition them selves very slowly, to an exhibition like this ... to avoid (also) becoming glazed. Waiting a week to recover from the first viewing, I feel is wise.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Tue 01 May, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
WarrenH

Postby Pteropus » Tue 01 May, 2012 11:10 am

I was disappointed to find out that the exhibition had been at the Queensland Art Gallery from December to March and I only found out yesterday. I should pay more attention to these things...bugger....
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pteropus » Wed 20 Jun, 2012 11:32 pm

This might interest some people: Artists John Lewin's water colours -> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-15/e ... ection=nsw

Apparently there has already been a showing at the NSW State Library and an exhibition is to open at the National Library next month.
Lewin's honey eater is named for John Lewin.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WarrenH » Sat 14 Jul, 2012 4:05 pm

Pretropus, one of the joys of living in Canberra is, all things are easy to get to. Thank you for the heads-up.

A few weeks ago I spent a week on the Bicentennial National Trail to the west of Canberra, hoping to start a painting of Franklin and Aggie in the Northern Alps. I've been meaning to do this for a long time. Franklin and Aggie (Namadgi National Park) and the Bullen Range (Nature Reserve) all dominate Canberra's western skyline. Here are some of the shots from the ride that I did, shots particularly of Mounts Franklin, Aggie and the Bullen Range beside the Murrumbidgee River Corridor. The BNT is a multi-use trail for long-distance pack horsing, mountain bike touring and of course for those on shank's pony.

This ride started from my home in the NW of the ACT, scooting around Canberra's western and southwestern suburbs, off-and-on the BNT at times, linking the BNT with Nature Reserve and Forestry management trails. One night was an intolerable -9.6°C and my -10°C bag didn't cope at all well. My down bag needs a serious re-pack. There was some snow seen through the trees in thay're'th'm hills. Lots of it.

I followed the BNT from the Dunlop Grasslands until the Pinnacle, then (headed down hill) jumping fences when the management trails ran out. Then through Karma Nature Reserve to the Molonglo River Corridor (wow, a gravity assisted ride for once), then east to Urriara Crossing. Over Mount Stromlo, entering through the back door (at the bottom of the Western Wedgetail Track near Uriarra Travelling Stock Reserve), then I hiked-the-biked on the fire trails over Stromlo's western slopes, past O'Malley's Dam. Rugged but very enjoyable after O'Malley's, absolutely. I re-joined the BNT at Duffy Ridge, to the southern edge of Coolamon Ridge and across the paddocks to Mount Tennent. The days were warm but the night were very cold. A real touring cyclist could do this ride in a long day. I took a week and enjoyed chatting to the farmers and horse people. I wasn't looking for biblical light, just good modelling on the mountains and to find a good location or two, to do some drawings, take a few pics and to start a painting.

Some shots from the ride.

... and the painting's progress, so far. A sketch from the field and the reworking at home, so far.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby kanangra » Wed 18 Jul, 2012 5:08 pm

This must be the best topic in ages. The talent you people have is incrdible. I'd love to be able to paint. There is just so much here that is really good. Warren I love your photos. The colours are so saturated and vivid. They just capture the inique Australian landscape so well. I particularly like the photo of the Wolgan Valley, the lighting is superb. Your best work in my opinion.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WarrenH » Wed 25 Jul, 2012 3:48 pm

Kanangra,thank you for your rewarding comments. They certainly are appreciated.

Do you know what the hardest thing about doing a painting is ... it is, just starting. My wife Helen, tells me that the hardest thing for her about painting is, taking the brush out of my hand ... and saying, "You have finished the work. Let it go."

I started a new work today, again of the Murrumbidgee River Corridor (Nature Reserve) looking towards Mounts Franklin and Aggie. I've been hoping for snow to show through the trees, but the falls haven't been overly heavy on Franklin and Aggie this season. Only the undercoats have been done so far, blocking in the shapes and building some density for the shadows. The glazed details will sit well forward of the shadows ... I'm keeping fingers crossed for a heavy fall to help speed-up the work.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 10:12 pm

paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 6:26 pm

Happy Father's Day.

I started a painting today ... a View of the Main Range from Near Toowong. The undercoats so far, are coming along very nicely.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 8:59 pm

Yes, I do paint landscapes.

Here's a couple of my Watercolor Paintings I've painted.
Attachments
Watercolor.jpeg
Watercolor.jpeg (76.64 KiB) Viewed 67382 times
Watercolor2.jpeg
Watercolor2.jpeg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 67382 times
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 02 Sep, 2012 9:15 pm

Kazarina wrote:Phillip, I wondered when I saw your name whether you might be an artist. Do you have examples online?

Yes, for those wondering about my username, now you know why. :D

Been painting for 10 years now. Always in Watercolors, Love the medium, love the flow and texture I can achieve mixing different colors and paper.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wolfix » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 1:08 am

Kazarina wrote:Yes i paint landscapes too. I take photos and sketch in the field and return to the studio to paint. Like you Warren, I tend to simplify the elements that appeal....and add in elements too sometimes..... so the final paintings are a blend of observation and imagination. (see some of my artwork here: http://www.karynfendley.com)

Karyn, your works are very good indeed! I will have to save up and buy one I think. Have you exhibited in the Blue Mountains at all? We have a vibrant art community up here as you probably know with many talented artists and a fair few respectable art spaces. Then there is the Southern Highlands and Braidwood. Well, as an established artist you'll know all this I'm sure. If you haven't put a show on in Fyre Gallery in Braidwood you should definitely contact them. They are particularly interested in female artists.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wolfix » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 1:09 am

WarrenH it's great to see your process documented here! I'm a lapsed artist. It's nice to live vicariously.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WarrenH » Tue 16 Oct, 2012 3:42 pm

Wolf G'day. Living vicariously can be easily fixed ... for an artist. Measured in litres.

I think that I'm going through a Post Impressionist period, with a major influence from Paul Henry, Ireland's greatest landscape painter.

This the finished work, of 'Smoky Day, the Brindabella Ranges'.

... and a progress shot of the Main Range.

... and the finished painting. I changed the name of the painting to 'The Western Face and the Valley of the Murray'.

I hope the works portray, how much I like being alone when I'm in the bush. Vast and vacant and simple. Sitting on a hill, just soaking it in.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 4:45 pm

Do you sculpt your landscapes?

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby Davekyn » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 4:58 pm

I want to start painting now! :D
The best signature, is none.
Davekyn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 14 Mar, 2014 7:57 pm

paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Tue 25 Mar, 2014 7:47 pm

Tariq, very pleasing works Mate. Thank you for re-igniting this thread.

Davekyn wrote:I want to start painting now! :D

Dave, how is it going? Do you know the hardest thing about painting? ... just, starting. Then the second most difficult thing about painting is, knowing when to put the brush down.

Two encaustic works on stretched canvas.

Affronting a Cold Front ... Summer 2013. Dickinson Point on the Great South Coast Track, NSW South Coast.

Times of Fog, Smoke and Wind ... Spring 2013 was both smokey and foggy for the opening of the Canberra Centenary Trail.

Deluge ... Summer 2014. Acrylic on canvas on board.

Warren.
WarrenH

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 18 Dec, 2014 7:30 pm

paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Fri 19 Dec, 2014 6:43 pm

Some recent stuff.

Where the Bicentennial National Trail and the Canberra Centenary Trail becomes one, in the National Arboretum beside the Atlas Mountain Cedar plantation. The spot gave a good view of the Tidbinbilla Ridge, on a rainy day.

The shots above gave the inspiration for A Lonely Road ... Acrylic on stretched canvas.

The next few images are on Hume and Hovell's original route, above Warroo Creek on the Yass Plains, heading down to the Murrumbidgee (now Lake Burrunjuck). An historic drover's fire place in the Warroo Travelling Stock Reserve and Devils Pass from a high point on the Warroo TSR.

The drawing is from Mount Wee Jasper, past High Cone, over the Fiery Range to Devils Peak, on the Northern Brindabella Range, with showers over the Western Brindabellas. Devils Peak and the showers hide Mount Corree.

In Autumn 30 years ago, I first climbed Devils Peak and found a large Aboriginal quarry site. A metadolerite quarry, for making axes and hatchets. Back then I added Devils Peak to the Aboriginal Site Register.

At Ledgerton Woolshed, looking towards Devils Peak on the Eastern edge of the Bramina Wilderness.

Warren.

PS, I'm sorry that several of my images that were posted are missing from this thread. I renamed a folder in Photobucket which inadvertently changed their address. The missing images can be found here, on page 2 ... http://s225.photobucket.com/user/WildWa ... t=3&page=1
WarrenH

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 7:55 pm

paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Gallery