Which Water filter do you use.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Which Water filter do you use.

Postby mattmacman » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 6:04 pm

Apparently those lifesaver bottles can make urine drinkable. I personally use a MSR Miniworks EX that has worked great, its not the lightest or the fastest but it is a great filter, when I want to go light i use a chlorine purification or similar.
mattmacman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 6:41 pm

In regards with the Sawyar filters. Not all filters to 0.02 Most of them filters are 0.1

The only Sawyer filter i can find that filters 0.02 is the 4litre gravity filter. Its apx $200.00 and weighs more than my lifesaver bottle.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 6:51 pm

Maybe ill stick with my lifesaver bottle and look at weight savings elsewhere,

maybe a Steripen classic or the Steripen adventure pro for those locations that offer rain water tanks and have clean running water.

And use the lifesaver bottle elsewhere. its come in handy at a few locations where i had run out of water and the only water available had animall poo in it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Wed 25 Jan, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi

My Sawyers Squeeze Water Filtration System has arrived. Yet to be used in anger but here are some photos and my weights for the parts.

My weights are:

Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter - 69 grams
Terumo Syringe without needle - 33 grams
16 oz (0.5 l) bladder - 17 grams
32 oz (1 l) bladder - 22 grams
64 oz (2 l) bladder - 27 grams

Regards
Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 25 Jan, 2012 4:58 pm

At those weights, I think I'm going to have to purchase one of those, did you purchase yours at the link you posted?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Wed 25 Jan, 2012 5:34 pm

Phillipsart wrote:At those weights, I think I'm going to have to purchase one of those, did you purchase yours at the link you posted?

That is the link to the manufacturer. I do not belive they sell them directly to the public. I purchased mine from an eBay seller, intentscampinggear. Best delivered price of $56.00 I had found to date.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby CatherineT » Thu 02 Feb, 2012 12:40 am

I have a MSR Miniworks and Lifesaver bottle right now. I do really like those Sawyer Squeeze filters and may have to try one. They're kind of like taking a refrigerator water filter and pushing water through it using a pump and hose stream-side. The MSR is lighter and easier to pack than the Lifesaver but I do really like the bottle just don't like the weight.
Catherine - exploring the great outdoors
CatherineT
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby bjc » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:39 am

The Sawyer Squeeze filter looks great, so I'm thinking about buying one - but what do others think of the fact that it won't filter out viruses? Do you think it's safe to use this without virus treatment?
bjc
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby slparker » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 3:30 pm

I can think of two viruses that have the oral/faecal route as a vector: rotavirus and hepatitis A... neither of which I would like to drink. I don't know if these are contaminants in Tassy, though.

On another point has anybody had much success with the steripen? I'm thinking of getting one.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Which Water filter do you use.

Postby JoshT » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 3:47 pm

bjc wrote: Do you think it's safe to use this without virus treatment?

It's impossible to say really, if there are people nearby, there's a small risk, it's up to you to decide how small.

When I'm worried about viruses I just throw a chlorine dioxide tablet in the bottle after using the Sawyer filter. The tablets work effectively on viruses in a short time (~15 mins), and anything bigger has already been filtered out
JoshT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby bjc » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 3:58 pm

JoshT wrote:When I'm worried about viruses I just throw a chlorine dioxide tablet in the bottle after using the Sawyer filter. The tablets work effectively on viruses in a short time (~15 mins), and anything bigger has already been filtered out

That sounds like a good idea. I walked in the Lerderderg Gorge recently, where I was downstream of a town and a car-camping site - I guess you might treat for viruses there, but not in alpine areas?
bjc
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 11 Jan, 2013 10:04 am

I picked up some great deals on Water filters off late, they turned up yesterday.

Katadyn Hiker Pro
Katadyn Mini
MSR MIOX
Aquamira Tables
Aquamira drops

The Katadyn Hiker Pro is a great unit. Makes my town water taste nice. Just a bit on the heavy side for my liking.
Katadyn Mini is nice and light, but a workout to use, as it has a ceramic filter, good for 7000 litres, it takes some force to get the water through that filter.
MSR MIOX is very interesting little unit. Water tastes a bit strange, but no worse than our town water. Amazing what you can do with salt.

The Aquamira drops, so far my favourite, particularly if the water is clear. It will be a dilemma now in deciding which system to take on my walks. It's nice to have a choose.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Picaro » Fri 11 Jan, 2013 11:02 am

Very happy with my Sawyer inline filter. Recently decided to also get a steripen adventure for the dubious times. e.g. in Africa later in the year, or as mentioned, within proximity of human settlement.( dirty nasssty humanses )
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Fri 11 Jan, 2013 8:10 pm

I use the Sawyer squeeze system, with evernew containers that are compatible to circumvent reports that the bags aren't very durable. I also have a Steripen Freedom http://www.steripen.com/freedom (rechargeable via USB port of Powermonkey solar charger). Steripen needs a wide mouthed container like a Nalgene bottle or a cut-down Platy bottle to be able to use it, so you need to decant it if you use a smaller mouthed water bottle to carry.

Aquamira drops (chlorine dioxine) or iodine solution or bleach or boiling could be used as a non electrical backup
Advice seems to be don't rely on just one method.

Easy 'recipes'
Tincture iodine (2%)
5 drops per Litre
10 drops per L if cloudy
Allow to stand for 30 mins before drinking

Household bleach - usually 6% sodium hypochlorite
Use the plain stuff, not lemon scented or whatever!
2 drops per Litre water (The yanks use 1/4 tsp per gallon)
4 drops if cloudy
Allow to stand 30 mins before drinking

NB 20 drops = 1 ml
Therefore 1 drop = 0.05 ml
(Ask your friendly local veterinarian for a 1 ml syringe :wink: )

Boiling - need to have on a rolling boil for 1 mnute
3 minutes if above 200 m altitude
EDIT - no-one picked this up - 3 mins if above 2000 m in height (because boiling point is diminished below 100 dec C the higher the altitude)

Good article by Roger Caffin for other bits and pieces
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Water.htm

I really like Seychelle Water Filtration
These guys have a very comprehensive range of water purification systems. They are a UK company, so don't seem to be mentioned on US backpacking sites etc. They are used by the International Red Cross, US Marine Corps, disaster relief organisations etc and many others. They make survival straws http://store.seychelle.com/Pure_Water_S ... anced.html, larger gravity filter bags etc. I have their large 'hang in a tree overnight' bag http://store.seychelle.com/Pure_Water_B ... ced.htmlas I'm a bit paranoid about nasties - comes with my job I guess!
http://store.seychelle.com/
http://www.seychelle.com/green_fivetypes.php
http://store.seychelle.com/about.html
Last edited by Onestepmore on Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 12 Jan, 2013 8:55 am

We use the Sawyer Squeeze System too.
It works really well and we haven't seen any issue with the quality of the bags. The one thing Sawyer stipulate is that you can't
jump on them, just squeeze them.

I am looking into buying some in line adaptors https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/more.asp?pid=239

I don't like the idea of filling our hydration packs with "contaminated" water so the idea is not to use them in line as such but
for refilling by connecting the filter system via the blue output adaptor to our hydration pack tubes and squeezing the water back into the pack.

This should avoid the need to remove the hydration pack from our backpacks and also eliminate the need to open the hydration pack
limiting the risk of contamination. It could also be possible to refill the hydration packs without even taking them off our backs.

Currently discussing postage costs which are typically hefty from the US.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby quicky » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 9:17 pm

I use a Steripen and collapsible Nalgene Cantene system. Micropur as back-up.
The system is quite robust and stable, versatile, and functionally simple.
Process: Fill up the Cantene ....sterilise...pour into Gatorade bottles. Done in 1.5 minutes.

IMG_2198.jpg
Steripen in-use mode

IMG_2199.jpg
Not in use mode

IMG_2200.jpg
Happy with the weight

* CR123's are stored out of Steripen to avoid parasitic drain when not in use. When on trips, the batteries stay in.
** Never had a problem with my Steripen in 5 years. If I do, my back-up weighs in at 3 grams.
quicky
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi Quicky - the reason I chose my USB chargeable Steripen over the ones that use the CR123 batteries is ease and cost of battery replacement. They are harder to obtain, and more expensive than AA batteries. I have a solar recharger, and a 16000 amp spare battery pack both with USB ports, if I have the need to recharge 'on track', otherwise easily done at home or in the car.
Storing batteries separately is a good idea, as is carrying a backup method

The Nalgene soft Canteen (Platy lookalike but with wide mouth) looks tidy - I'll see if I can find one
Cheers

Edit
Ok a quick look - in Aust Mainpeak is out of stock. Hiking.com only has the rigid plastic bottles. REI in USA has them. CB *&$# looking further, postage etc for one item etc
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:29 pm

I have vast chooses for my hikes.

Katadyn Hiker Pro
Katadyn Mini
MSR MIOX
Steripen Adventurer Opti
Aquamira Chlorine dioxide drops
Aquamira Chlorine dioxide tablets

Most likely I will only take the drops.

Couldn't resist the super special price I got for the rest. The hiker pro i been using at home every day.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby quicky » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 9:30 am

Onestepmore wrote:Hi Quicky - the reason I chose my USB chargeable Steripen over the ones that use the CR123 batteries is ease and cost of battery replacement. They are harder to obtain, and more expensive than AA batteries. I have a solar recharger, and a 16000 amp spare battery pack both with USB ports, if I have the need to recharge 'on track', otherwise easily done at home or in the car.
Storing batteries separately is a good idea, as is carrying a backup method

The Nalgene soft Canteen (Platy lookalike but with wide mouth) looks tidy - I'll see if I can find one
Cheers

Edit
Ok a quick look - in Aust Mainpeak is out of stock. Hiking.com only has the rigid plastic bottles. REI in USA has them. CB *&$# looking further, postage etc for one item etc

You're right, local retail for CR123 is ridiculous. I now purchase mine online, and can get a 10 pack of Duracell Ultra's for $22 + postage. It works out to be approx. $2.80 per battery now...which is pretty good. Plus, they become my spares for my Zebralight H31 headlamp.

Anyways, I just rang Bogong Equipment here in Melbourne's CBD...they have both the 1.5L and 3L versions in stock (sold out of the 1L). However, I'm assuming that you'd be chopping it down so that the cut off is just over 1L anyways? Either way, I'm happy to grab one for you and post it your way if you wish? They are selling the 1.5L for $14.95. Bogong Equipment phone number is 03 9600 0599 if you would like to check.
quicky
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby quicky » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 9:40 am

Add to that...Paddy Pallin usually stock Platypus Soft Bottles too.... http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/bott ... le/product
I am pretty sure that they stock them here in Melbourne also (having bought one for my Glayva Liqueur stash on snow camping trips). I think their pricing is similar or slightly more expensive than the Nalgene Soft Cantene.
quicky
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jimbo42 » Fri 18 Jan, 2013 8:12 am

Depends on the water quality where I"m going.
If the water is likely to be clean, I prefer to use iodine drops using an eyedropper. The taste doesn't bother me, and this system is light and effective
If the water is likely to be dirty/muddy, I use a Sweetwater 1 micron ceramic pump filter, with 3 stages of pre-cleaning-- a paper cartridge; a fine metal screen at the end of the inlet hose; and my bandanna wrapped several times around the metal screen.
The crank action of the pump makes it a lot easier to use than the types with no mechanical lever; and the pre-cleaning does an effective job of keeping the ceramic filter clean; I am still using the original unit after many years.
The company has gone out of business, but an identical unit is now being sold by REI in the US.

I have no confidence in Steri-pens
If there is plenty of wood around and a fire is permitted, I will boil the water; but it gets a smoky taste like billy tea from the tars condensed from the wood smoke

jimbo42
jimbo42
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 18 Jan, 2013 10:31 am

Sawyer have released a new updated version of the Squeeze filter, they are now supplied with a more durable one litre bladder.

NEW 2013 SYSTEM

Included One Liter Water Bladder is the New Improved Super Tough Model.

Included in the Kit

Filter 2.5oz
1L Bladder .75oz
Back Flush Syringe 1oz

The NEW Sawyer Squeeze Filter is the lightest and most versatile filtration system on the market. With a total field weight of 2.5 ounces it takes up virtually no space in your pack. This product includes a One Liter water pouch that can be reused many hundreds of times. ***This new 2013 version is SUPER STRONG and is a great choice as the dirty water container that gets abused by scooping and squeezing.

Simply fill up the pouch and screw the filter directly onto the pouch then 1) Squeeze the bag and filter water into your water bottle or container of choice OR 2) Drink directly from the filter which has a built in push pull cap for on/off functions, OR 3) Attach the filter onto most threaded water bottles including 2 liter bottles or Evernew Water Bladders (Will not fit Platypus Bladders)
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TheOutdoorCompany » Mon 21 Jan, 2013 2:14 pm

Best option if you don't need to filter debris is the Katadyn Micropur Forte tablets (1 tablet/1 litre) which has 100 tablets in each box. Very cheap and light weight option but you could try the Katadyn Micropur Forte - Liquid (1ml/10 litre) which can treat up to 1000 litres per bottle but if weight is a concern then I'd personally go for the tablets. Both are a great replacement for the Steripen.... and much cheaper!
Tom Box

Managing Director
The Outdoor Company | Online Store
TheOutdoorCompany
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Outdoor Company

Postby John Sheridan » Wed 20 Feb, 2013 2:54 am

Finally have seen a Hiker Pro for sale in Australia, I have a Hiker Mini, but want a decent one that can do 1 liter a minute, and has a charcoal filter built in as well, looks like a nice filter.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Wed 20 Feb, 2013 4:37 am

With regards to the Sawyer Squeeze filter, their website says that the flow rate depends not only on head pressure but also the altitude.

Can anyone explain to me why alitude (air pressure) affects the filter flow rate?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby hunsta » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 5:46 pm

From what Ive read I may try one of these Sawyer Squeeze filters. Ebay has them from the US for $49.20 and $14.75 shipping. Is that a good price? Comes with a 0.5l, 1.0l and 2.0l bags.
I REALLY AM A NICE GUY. JUST ASK ANYONE WHO HASN'T MET ME.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/gympieregionalhiking/
hunsta
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 8:40 pm

Theres a place in the states selling them for $36.00 + freight and there the new version with the improved bladder.

Sorry not at home, cant remember the website at this moment.

Ive got one of the new versions on its way, I purchased mine from, Mountain Laurel Designs.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 9:00 pm

I use a steripen freedom, and made a "adapter" from a large Gatorade bottle ( BPL have a post on it), and can UV 1LT at a time ( 2 x steripen UV lamp rounds). If my water is crap ( almost never happens), I use a contraption made of cutting off a Gatorade bottle about 3rd the way down, then stuffing it with aquarium filter wool. It will filter out pretty much any "macro" debris. Weighs nothing and can replace for about 5 cents.
Don't know why so many people are against the Steripen - it is light, reliable and user friendly.
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 9:02 pm

quicky wrote:I use a Steripen and collapsible Nalgene Cantene system. Micropur as back-up.
The system is quite robust and stable, versatile, and functionally simple.
Process: Fill up the Cantene ....sterilise...pour into Gatorade bottles. Done in 1.5 minutes.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

* CR123's are stored out of Steripen to avoid parasitic drain when not in use. When on trips, the batteries stay in.
** Never had a problem with my Steripen in 5 years. If I do, my back-up weighs in at 3 grams.

LOL- why in all your posts you have to have an Apple Mac product in the phot???????
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby Mark F » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 9:18 pm

Having just lost a Steripen Adventurer in the swamp behind Wineglass Bay camp site I decided to replace it with a Steripen Freedom (74 g) matched with a 1/2 litre cut off flexi drink bottle (9 g) - the unit only does 1/2 litre batches. If the water is dirty it gets a filter though my Jif cloth.

Being a USB recharge system it is the same as my Petzl Core and phone. All are charged easily with a PowerChimp Nut (25g) which holds either 2 AA or AAA batteries. The PowerChimp does a great job on recharging the AA and AAA batteries through solar or USB input. The solar unit (200ma) is 80g. swapping in and out the AA/AAA batteries covers my GPS and my SPOT in an emergency thus covering all my power needs at a reasonable weight.

I agree that one should always have backup and so carry Micropur tablets but have only needed them when I lost the Steripen - before that it had worked flawlessly.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment