A nude day walk in the Blue Mountains

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Postby FatCanyoner » Tue 15 May, 2012 9:50 am

A few mates had been nagging me to actually run a deliberate nude bushwalk, rather than just the occasional impromptu stuff that occurs. We managed to chose one of the best days of the year last week, with warm air, crisp blue skies, sunshine streaming down and best of all the stunning Grose Valley gorge all to ourselves!
You can read my full trip report, and admire plenty of photos, below. FYI, there are bare bums in the pics, but no dangly bits!

http://fatcanyoners.org/2012/05/09/nude-walk-in-the-mountains/
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Re: A nude day walk in the Blue Mountains

Postby forest » Tue 15 May, 2012 11:16 am

I'm sorry I just don't understand this. Amused but still :roll:

Have to ask.... Why ??

Good onya, but each to there own and not for me but I'm interested in your drive to do this.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby FatCanyoner » Tue 15 May, 2012 11:39 am

I was the same as you years ago. It was probably four or five years ago that I was first introduced to nude bushwalking by a friend. It was a similar sunny autumn day. We were a couple days into a multi-day trip, and hadn't seen a soul. He decided it was perfect weather for some nude walking. I just kept walking ahead. A year or two later he finally convinced me to do some nude walking, and I really enjoyed it. It is just another way of experiencing the bush. I think it heightens the sensory experience. You feel more of the sun, the wind, the foliage, the rock. You feel more intimately connected with the bush.
It might not be for everyone, but I didn't think it was for me when I first saw it. If you enjoy stripping off the clothes and diving into a cool water hole after a hard days walking then this is the next logical step.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Tue 15 May, 2012 2:34 pm

Quite amusing indeed! I'm not so sure I would enjoy a sausagefest celebration. Back in the army days we had a homosexual in our platoon who suggested a nude pack march. I was away on course when it happened but funny how nobody ever spoke about it afterwards.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby north-north-west » Tue 15 May, 2012 4:36 pm

FatCanyoner wrote: You feel more of the sun, the wind, the foliage, the rock ...

...the leeches, the ticks, the stinging nettles, the prickly Hakea, the thorns, the mosquitoes and sandflies, the sunburn . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby michael_p » Tue 15 May, 2012 5:41 pm

You were lucky it was a warm day. The walk to Lockleys is pretty exposed to the elements in parts and can be very cold on a windy day. :wink:
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 16 May, 2012 12:16 am

michael_p wrote:You were lucky it was a warm day. The walk to Lockleys is pretty exposed to the elements in parts and can be very cold on a windy day.

It wasn't luck. I was watching the weather pretty closely for this one. It was a toss up between organising it for the Wednesday or Thursday. The Thursday was slightly better (hottest Sydney day in 60 years) but the Wednesday wasn't far behind! A couple wet summers have made the amateur meteorology half the fun of trip planning.

north-north-west wrote:
FatCanyoner wrote: You feel more of the sun, the wind, the foliage, the rock ...

...the leeches, the ticks, the stinging nettles, the prickly Hakea, the thorns, the mosquitoes and sandflies, the sunburn . . .

All that was taken into account with the chosen route. I've never seen a leech in that area, or a tick. It's too dry for nettles and the scrub isn't too bad (a large section is very low heathland). The sun was probably our biggest risk. Although I did kill one or two of those little biting flies.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby juxtaposer » Thu 17 May, 2012 5:45 pm

You should change your nom de plume to "The Bare-Bottomed Bushwalker".
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes