Mt Read

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Read

Postby Chrisbulldog » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 4:50 pm

Walked Mt.Read "track" Sept.3rd with a group. Track in brackets because its the access road to the summit
that is walked on. Even so very steep sections. Amongst the snow at the top were a forest of communication
and a mine access road. Views to Tyndals and Murchison very good.
Access is via a gravel road half way up the Montezuma Falls road to the left. Not signposted.
Good signage on the way showing geology and fauna. Hard to believe a town existed here once.
For the supposed wettest place in Tasmania , we managed to complete the walk without a drop.
Permission is needed to use the road however.
Attachments
P1010371.JPG
View of the summit
P1010371.JPG (170.43 KiB) Viewed 14102 times
P1010380.JPG
View of the Tyndalls
P1010380.JPG (175.19 KiB) Viewed 14102 times
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Read

Postby Nick S » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 8:10 pm

Ah interesting. I did wonder about this Mt when looking at it from Murchinson. Kinda like being up Mt Barrow with all the comms equipment around.
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby vagrom » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks Chris. I had no idea about the permission needed.
There's a famous Huon Pine in the area somewhere, very old. The photos of the old mining town, highest in Tassie made the place look like a jungle shrouded in mists. Yet the top looks as bald as La Perouse. The Scouts may have a place on the way up too.
I forget how close Montezuma Falls are and wonder if they flow off the top, northwards. Looking up from the falls I wondered how many small mining townships had since been reclaimed by the jungle ( like on Mt Dromedary NSW) and what it would be like to come across some of these places. Mt Read Volcanics; the place has so much Tassie history attached to it but like St Valentines, must still be largely in private hands.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby eggs » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:45 pm

Yes - I have driven to the top of Read on two occasions - many years ago.
It seems access is more controlled now.
The area is certainly filled with the ghosts of past mines and towns and railway lines.
But the forest is quick to grow back and hide them away.
I think one of the most amazing places is Crotty - once a town of 10,000 people. Now all that is left is a flattened platform were the smelter once stood.
Although it might now all be under water - I haven't checked if / how far Lake Burbury overlaps the old map.

Montezuma Falls is more a runoff from Mt Dundas than Mt Read. It comes from the valley below Moores Pimple which is the northern arm of Dundas.
The Huon Pines on Read are part of a special reserve well down on its south slope around Lake Johnston. They have been undisturbed for a very long time.

I have been on some of the back roads with a student geologist looking for minerals just for fun.
A great area to explore.
Brian
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chrisbulldog » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 4:45 pm

Probably why the access road isn't signposted . In one way with all the towers up there you wouldnt
want too much open access ..but was surprised to find new signs along the way featuring the geology etc.
There is a boardwalk around the Lake Johnson area , which i believe is near the ancient Huon pine ...shhhhh.
Not sure who you need permission from but I can find out if anyone is interested.
No sign of habitation anywhere now ...you wouldnt know anyone ever lived there.
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 5:09 pm

I am not familiar enough with the history of Mt Read, but my impression was that the only historic development up there was on its western side below Mt Hamilton - at the Hercules Mine.

This photo is looking up the old tramway at Williamsford where you can see the residue of the Hercules mine above
http://bushwalk.com/forum/search.php?keywords=I+thought+the+scree+patterns+matched&t=2307&sf=msgonly

I have not been to Lake Johnston, but I was under the impression access was by tour group or research only.
I have seen tours advertised.
Was there a gate on the road?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 6:18 pm

eggs wrote:I think one of the most amazing places is Crotty - once a town of 10,000 people. Now all that is left is a flattened platform were the smelter once stood.
Although it might now all be under water - I haven't checked if / how far Lake Burbury overlaps the old map.

My understanding was Crotty was flooded when Lk Burbury went in.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 7:30 pm

eggs:
Yes, the road is gated not far in from the turnoff.

Funny, I didn't know you needed permission. I just parked and walked up. No-one seemed to mind.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby eggs » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 7:40 pm

NNW

I know the road up to Mt Read is gated. It was open the last time I drove up [1986]
I was wondering if the track off to Lake Johnston has an extra gate?

And I suspect the statement in the first entry "permission is needed to use the road" - refers to vehicle access rather than walkers.
Drivers would need to get a key.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 7:56 pm

Lake Johnston? Is that the side road that heads off to the mine? It was gated and thoroughly signposted when I was there:

b009272.jpg

I particularly liked the 'No Smoking' sign.

btw: for me, the most interesting thing was the King Billy regrowth at the roadside. Does anyone know if this is natural or if there's been some replanting/seeding done?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Chrisbulldog » Wed 12 Sep, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes the regrowth is natural.Also young myrtle forests growing too. Yes that barricade is still there ..i presume the track
to the lake leads off this road somewhere. Didn't see any other access road or track.
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes