water at cooyoyo creek budawangs

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

water at cooyoyo creek budawangs

Postby roshall » Sun 28 Oct, 2012 7:20 am

Hi I'm planning on camping 2 nights at cooyoyo creek within the next 2 weeks. I'm worried that there might not be water there considering how dry it has been. Does anyone know if it could be completely dry? Or any tips on other nearby water sources? Thanks Ros
roshall
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: water at cooyoyo creek budawangs

Postby colinm » Mon 29 Oct, 2012 6:29 pm

I was there Oct 2008, very dry on Kaliana ridge (no water at all, until the foot of the climb to the Castle saddle where there was a small soak.) Cooyoyo Ck was flowing, a little sluggishly. I was there again this year, Kaliana ridge had water dripping from the Castle, Cooyoyo Ck was *much* more sluggish ... even though the first trip was at the end of the drought, and the second had ample rainfall. You'd want to treat it in either case. After the last trip, I can imagine C.Ck being nearly dry, but in view of its flowing during the drought, I can't imagine it being bone dry. The number of people there, though ... maybe they drank it dry :)

Along the track from Castle Saddle to MV there are cliffline drips/small bodies of water. At the Northern end of MV (green room?) there's a creek which would have to be perennial. That's quite a way further along. You'd have to get an early start to be able to get there and back to Cooyoyo before nightfall (or be a much faster/lighter walker than me, which is distinctly possible.)

BTW, I wouldn't expect to find firewood around Cooyoyo - it's picked clean ... so best to rely on stoves (as per the mgmt plan.) Also, you'll get to check out the dunny with the best view in the universe.
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby roshall » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 7:00 pm

thanks colin for your very useful reply. I'm also a bit short of time so that, plus the water issue, means I'll opt for a long day walk and overnight some other time when there's been rain.Ros
roshall
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby colinm » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 10:16 pm

I may not have made my meaning clear, so to save any confusion. There was water there in Oct at the height of the drought, I reckon there'd be water in the creek now.
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hanna » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi, has anyone been to Cooyoyo creek in the Budawangs, near the Castle lately? I'm planning to go with my family, including my 14 year old son, next week. Is there any water there?
Also, how safe is the rope, to climb the castle?
Thanks, Hanna
hanna
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 7:51 pm

hanna wrote:Hi, has anyone been to Cooyoyo creek in the Budawangs, near the Castle lately? I'm planning to go with my family, including my 14 year old son, next week. Is there any water there?
Also, how safe is the rope, to climb the castle?
Thanks, Hanna

I think everyone has answered you in the other thread. But there's been good rain recently so you'll have water there. It takes a lot to dry it up. As for the rope you should always check it before trusting it. It could be fine one day, frayed or damaged the next. All depends who used it last and the castle gets its fair share of visitors. You can climb the castle without using the rope. It's just steep so take it slow.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby hanna » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 9:25 pm

Thanks for that. Reassuring to hear a fellow bushwalker confirm that.
hanna
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none

Postby Bush_walker » Fri 28 May, 2021 1:31 pm

Hi All,
I am planning to go walk from long gully and camp at Cooyoyo Creek via the castle.
Would like to know do I need to carry drinking water or I can collect from Cooyoyo Creek or close by creek.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby crollsurf » Fri 28 May, 2021 1:43 pm

You'll want to be fit and have good knees to do the Castle in a day. Should be right getting water at Cooyoyo. If its your first visit, you'll want more water than your planning, it's a bit of a workout. I'd say 3 litres just to get to Cooyoyo/saddle. An overnight at Cooyoyo wont disappoint.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bush_walker » Fri 28 May, 2021 4:30 pm

Hi, I am not doing day walk but want to camp near Castle and thinking to camp at Cooyoyo or any other campsite near by and would like to know do I need to carry the water from green gully or can take the water near campsite pls.
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby crollsurf » Fri 28 May, 2021 4:47 pm

You'll find water at Cooyoyo, just take a filter. Also carry some water to get there. 2-3 litres.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bush_walker » Sun 30 May, 2021 1:16 pm

thx
Bush_walker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby FionaShedden » Mon 31 May, 2021 2:39 pm

Have heard that the last section of road into Long Gully is really bad. 4WD passable only. Anyone able to confirm? Was hoping to get down there in next couple of weeks but might divert elsewhere if this is true.
FionaShedden
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby puredingo » Mon 31 May, 2021 8:53 pm

I did it in March in my 2WD Ute but it does have good clearance with bigger tyres.

I do remember thinking I wouldn’t like to driving anything less. If it’s deteriorated since March it will be very rough indeed.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sandym » Thu 10 Jun, 2021 11:41 am

Anyone have an update on the last bit of road into Long Gully? We went as far as the Clyde River a few weeks ago and the road had been graded to the Clyde but the bad bit is after that.
sandym

Return to New South Wales & ACT