funny bushwalking stories

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

funny bushwalking stories

Postby wayno » Fri 18 Jan, 2013 8:27 am

has there been a thread on funny stories?

anyone got any they want to share? true ones.

couple of guys walkied into a hut high on a ridge in the tararuas. they were in hysterics, an hour later another guy staggers into the hut, looking exhausted, drops his pack, slumps down, he knows the first two guys, he's just climbed a thousand metres to the hut... he says "my pack feels like its got rocks in it" the other guys break into hysterics, he opens his pack, inside is one large rock they have put in the pack...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: funny bushwalking stories

Postby nq111 » Fri 18 Jan, 2013 6:49 pm

wayno wrote:couple of guys walkied into a hut high on a ridge in the tararuas. they were in hysterics, an hour later another guy staggers into the hut, looking exhausted, drops his pack, slumps down, he knows the first two guys, he's just climbed a thousand metres to the hut... he says "my pack feels like its got rocks in it" the other guys break into hysterics, he opens his pack, inside is one large rock they have put in the pack...

Oh yeah - I have done that in my youth. To slow down fitter and stronger participants to a respectable pace. Outcome very similar to your story :D
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby alanoutgear » Sat 19 Jan, 2013 7:56 am

Years ago (in the '80s) a group of friends and our kids climbed around Bogong from Mountain Creek along the Moncrieff Gap track, eventually camping at Big River. It was a longish walk on a warmish day in January and I found the going particularly tough, especially after our lunch stop when the going got steeper.

When we got to Big River I was absolutely stuffed, and I was a pretty fit marathoner at the time. When I found the energy to open the top of my pack I found ten cans of XXXX beer that a couple of my so-called mates had stuffed in and around my other gear (apparently while I was having a nanna nap at lunch time).

We put our tents up and sat in the river enjoying what was then a particularly nice drop. I still couldn't forgive them though. Unfortunately, the church youth group who had camped near us regarded our drinking of alcohol on the Sabbath as a blasphemy, and struck their tents and moved off.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Sat 19 Jan, 2013 10:01 am

he he, nice one...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taswegian » Sat 19 Jan, 2013 11:36 am

Not funny at time but matches were back home.
Trangia's are hard to light with 2 sticks or a couple stones banged together.
Once was enough. They then formed a permanent part of my pack NEVER to be removed! :)

The stones in a backpack are an old postie trick in the days of pushbikes or deliver on foot.

drinking of alcohol on the Sabbath as a blasphemy
stuffy lot!
taswegian

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 19 Jan, 2013 7:44 pm

I once camped at Shelf Camp as part of a group of four people who'd walked up Mt Anne that morning for my brother's birthday. After setting up the tents, I pulled out a six pack of beer as a nice surprise to share with the everybody. Turns out that all four of us in the group had exactly the same idea and each person had secretly carried a six pack to share. So between the four of us we'd carried an entire slab all the way up there!

It was a very nice evening sitting on the edge of the Shelf Camp cliff on a calm and warm evening with a few beers.

(no, we didn't drink the lot)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby wayno » Sun 20 Jan, 2013 3:47 am

you'd just about qualify for the Mount at Bathurst with that lot!
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blackbutt » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 11:38 pm

Funny in retrospect. Probably also qualifies as bizarre. We were once stopped for a rest below a cliff line at The Castle in the Budawangs NSW - about half way up where the water is for those that know it. My mate was sitting there minding his business when a medium sized red belly black snake fell on him. It landed literally draped around his neck / shoulders. It took him a nano-second to realise what it was before he levitated / thrashed / scrabbled / screamed and managed to flick the poor thing off and away - alive. The entire thing was entirely weird because there were no overhanging trees the snake could have fallen from and this cliff is tall - 100m?? How does a snake get on top of the castle - the entire thing is cliff bound; did a bird of prey drop it? how does a snake manage to fall off a cliff? How does it survive a fall from that height - but there it was. Anyway since that day I have understood that levitation and road runner legs thrashing in the air are both possible. BEEP BEEP.
blackbutt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 7:12 am

Hubby son and I had gone for a day walk in Morton NP. Crossing a creek I must have picked up a few little bloodthirsty friends, and I had bled through my clothes in several places. So I stripped off to knickers and bra, washed my pants and shirt off in the creek and they were hung on some branches to dry in a clearing. Hubby had marched off to climb some cliff for a few hours, son was swimming in the creek, and I'm reading on my mat in the shade of a tree, when a NPW 4WD hurtles down a rough track with 2 blokes in it and stops next to me for a chat. Very hard to look dignified when you're standing there in your underwear and hiking boots.
Last edited by Onestepmore on Wed 30 Jan, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 7:23 am

Another leech story.....In my early 20's I'd gone for an overnight walk to Blue Gum Forest with some uni friends. I must have had a leech somewhere in my nether regions, and of course I didn't feel it. It was only after we'd climbed up out of the valley, caught trains and walked through built up areas and I was at home in Newtown that one of my flatmates told me to turn around and look in the mirror. I had a HUGE bloodstain all down the inside of and back of my legs - very obvious.

I'm still friends with them. But they're not forgiven!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby raider » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 9:05 pm

When I was about 13 I went down Bairnsdale way to Camp Icthus ?. Some of the memories have stayed with me - Den of Nargon , jumping off a large bluestone broken dam wall into the river and some great hikes. Money was a bit tight at home so we had borrowed hiking boots from the Scouting family next door. From memory they were a tan vinyl looking pair but probably the ants pants back then. While hiking ,came to a river crossing at the wrong spot but had to cross at some rapids. Took the boots off and shoved them in the top of my rucksack. Battled the rapids ( may be the Mitchell River ) and got to the other side only to find one of the boots had fallen out during the crossing. Total dread and embarrassment but luckily had runners with me and had to wear them for the rest of the camp. Can't remember what mum and dad said or whether they had to replace them. Traumatic at the time but funny now when I think of the range of boots available and their relatively cheap price.
raider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 13 Feb, 2013 7:21 am

The walk started from the Mersey Forest Road access to the Walls of Jerusalem. The group was in Melbourne, but one person, best identified only as T, had moved to Canberra. He booked a flight to Tullamarine that arrived just before our Devonport flight flew. No we said, come the evening before, your flight might be delayed. He said that he would be okay as is.

He wasn’t. The Canberra flight was late, and he missed us. Catching a later flight to Devonport was not a problem, but getting into the Walls was. He got a lift with another party, way behind us. We spent two days in lovely snow (it was summer) at the Walls. On walking out we stumbled across T, camped between Lake Ball and the Junction Lake Track, waiting for us. In those days there was no track, or even a pad. T was about to give up and go home.

When the walk was over, we had to walk from Cynthia Bay to the Lyell Highway and our bus. Dreadful. T’s boots had been giving him bad blisters, and he resolved to give them a walker’s funeral. (The boots, that is, not the blisters.) On the upstream side of the Derwent River bridge he took off his boots, put what was left of his socks in the boots, and tied the laces together. He had no use for the stove fuel, probably shellite, so he tipped the fuel into the boots. The boots floated, and he lit them, pushing them into the current. Away they went.

There was a scramble to the bridge to see the boots flaming and floating to their Valhalla. What we didn’t expect was an audience. A busload was standing on the downstream side, gesticulating madly at the floating burning boots. Japanese tourists. We declined to clarify matters.

I would have dearly loved to witness the story they told when back in the land of the falling Yen. Before Photoshop the pictures would have been evidentiary.

Moderation note: Making your entire post in large font size is like shouting continuously and generally regarded as bad etiquette. Fixed.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby trekker76 » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 11:23 pm

As a teenager I used to explore a relatives large property. One area bordered a thick tea tree swamp which the neighbouring cattle guy had permission to clear. I used to go in across both exploring with a cane knife. Decided I would try and walk all the way into town at one point which was about 12km or so as the crow flies. About an hour or two in I crossed a cleared path, remember thinking I don't know who's track this is but he is making a hell of a *&%$#! mess. Had circled around and crossed my own path . Well there's a lesson says I.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Bushwalking Discussion