Oven Baked Pizza (Bemco Backpacking Oven)

Food topics, including recipes.

Oven Baked Pizza (Bemco Backpacking Oven)

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 16 Mar, 2013 1:06 pm

Using my Bemco Backpacking Oven, today I tried out a Pizza recipe and was very happy with the results.

The oven I used packs down and is light enough to carry on my hikes. I've only acquired the oven in the past few days, thus far have not had the chance to take it out on a hike. Today for this trail run I used my Gas cooker.

Pizza Dough:
1 Cup flour
Just over half cup warm water.
Teaspoon Yeast.
Pinch of salt.
1 teaspoon olive oil

Sauce:
2 tablespoons tomatoe paste.
2 tablespoon water.
1 teaspoon olive oil

Toppings, what ever you like to use.
Today I used fresh tomatoes and bacon.

Prepared the dough, left to stand for a while covered.
Than spread out onto seasoned, oiled pan.
Add sauce. Added barbeque sauce to the 2nd pizza in the deep pan.
Add toppings.
Bake for apx 21 minutes at 400F on the temp dial on my Bemco Oven.

Results followed.
Attachments
IMG_5916.jpg
Press out dough onto oiled pan
IMG_5917.jpg
Add sauce
IMG_5918.jpg
Add toppings
IMG_5921.jpg
Place into Oven preheated at 400F
IMG_5923.jpg
Rotate halfway through cooking process to ensure even cooking
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Mon 18 Mar, 2013 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Re: Oven Backed Pizza

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 16 Mar, 2013 1:09 pm

21 minutes later, at 400F, Pizza cooked to perfection for my liking and it was very yummy.
Attachments
IMG_5925.jpg
Results
IMG_5926.jpg
IMG_5927.jpg
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 16 Mar, 2013 1:13 pm

Today I used my gas cooker. Oven taken a couple minutes to reach operating Temps. Used 14 grams of gas to bake two pizza's.

I've also used my PackaFeather XL Metho Stove. This stove can simmer. 60ml of metho will bake for 35 minutes at 400F.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 12:27 pm

Baked 3 more pizza's in my oven today. Yummy.
Attachments
IMG_5934.JPG
IMG_5935.JPG
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 1:04 pm

The recipe above, I think is possible for extended backpacking trips. Curious on the toppings. is there bacon available of some sort that don't require refrigeration?
I'm thinking the tomatoes I can dehydrate, than hydrate them with a bit of water before cooking.

Tomatoe paste is the other ingredient I'm not sure on. Does it require refrigeration after opening?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 2:45 pm

Tomato paste you can purchase in sachets and you can use salami for your pizza. Certain salamis can be kept in your pack when cooler weather. Or even slice striker salami sticks length ways for longer pieces.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby matagi » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 3:31 pm

Phillipsart wrote:The recipe above, I think is possible for extended backpacking trips. Curious on the toppings. is there bacon available of some sort that don't require refrigeration?
I'm thinking the tomatoes I can dehydrate, than hydrate them with a bit of water before cooking.

Tomato paste is the other ingredient I'm not sure on. Does it require refrigeration after opening?

RE: bacon, there is a version of salted and smoked bacon from the Balkans which keeps fine without refrigeration (called "slanina"). All you need to do is find a deli run by a Serb, Croat or Macedonian and you will probably find some.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 3:33 pm

Bluegum Mic wrote:Tomato paste you can purchase in sachets and you can use salami for your pizza. Certain salamis can be kept in your pack when cooler weather. Or even slice striker salami sticks length ways for longer pieces.

Thanks Bluegum Mic.

Good idea with the sachets, i will purchase some of those and put to the test through the week. Good excuse to bake more pizzas.

Salami, I'm generally not all that fond of, i find them a bit hot for my liking, unless theres a very mild version out there, that tastes similar to bacon.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dplanet » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 5:17 pm

Like beacon for breakfast and salami for pizza. It would be better to have some pinapple on the pizza. Recently got myself a bread baking guide with over 100 recipes to make at home. Thanks Phil, will try it on a base camp trip in the future.
dplanet

Region: Victoria

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 8:17 am

No pineapple!
Pineapple on a pizza is an abomination and those who dare should be hung, strung and quartered!
Ask any Italian

Now, anchovies and olives.....mmmm :)

Phil - possibly try proscuitto? It's not refrigerated, but it's pretty expensive. We usually just take salami with us as a meat source (the hotter the bettter though for us!) - I'm sure you can find a mild Danish variety. Or what about the mild twiggy stick cut lengthways into slivers? Hard parmesan cheese won't need refrigerating either - shave a few thin bits off with a knife or peeler. (Don't use the vomit smelling prepowdered stuff in the tin)
I dehydrate the excess cherry tomatoes we grow, and store in olive oil. It's really easy to have a go. A few of these with the oil in a small plastic container would cover two bases, and the oil is flavoured with the tomatoes and dried herbs, so more flavour.

I'm waiting for my oven now, will be fun doing some experimentation.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Oven Baked Pizza (Bemco Backpacking Oven)

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 9:09 am

Yesterday's pizza's I added a bit of cheese. I had no pineapple in the house. Next time I will add pineapple.

Australian pizza's have to much topping's for my liking. It's all about the base and sauce with italian pizza's. My parents are italian. There's a little Italian Bakery in the Gold Coast I like a lot when I'm down that way. They make great italian pizza's. So yummy and cheap. Up here it's just the regular, pizza hut, dominoes etc. oh and there's a new mob that has just opened, called Pizza Cappers. I went there once a few weeks back. My thoughts there expensive, use way to much topping and drain the pizza with sauce, in particular barbeque sauce, all I could taste was barbeque sauce, it was one of the worst pizza I have ever eaten and was undercooked. I can't see what you all rave on about with Pizza Cappers, YUCK!

I'm looking for ingredients I can use on a hike, that don't weigh to much or has to much preparation involved. The pizza's I made with just the sauce tomatoes and bacon tasted great. I think that was my favourite. Was my mums favourite as well.

I just had a thought, Mushrooms. There light enough and easy to prepare. The fresh variety that is, not the ones you buy in a tin. I never take tin food with me on a hike.

My mum loves anchovies and olives, I hate them. I don't like hot spicy food, olives, garlic, I don't mind garlic bread. I use very little if any seasoning in my foods, mostly I season with a pinch of salt and I never found a salami that I liked, maybe it's because my mum buys the more hotter variety as I've only ever tried the ones she's purchased or the ones you get on meat lovers pizza's at dominoes, first thing I do is take them off, I never purchased any for myself. I don't know what it is, but to me it's like a sugary taste, I hate sugar. I eliminate as much suger from my diet as possible.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Oven Baked Pizza (Bemco Backpacking Oven)

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 1:17 pm

Phil you can get dehydrated/dried mushrooms and onions the Asian section at Coles and Woolies. I usually use them when I make cous cous/risotto etc on the trail.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Bush Tucker