Leda falls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Leda falls

Postby biggc » Tue 21 Apr, 2009 6:14 pm

im trying to find leda falls in st helens, i was wondering if they were near the mini golf course on private property or on the other side passed st helens golf club :?:
biggc
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Leda falls

Postby MrCAMEL » Wed 06 May, 2009 6:35 pm

No takers!

Alright then, similar, around St Helens earlier this year, I was cruising around and noticed a couple of falls marked on the map. Ferntree and Ironbark Falls. So I headed off down the Trafalgar and Transit tracks. Not expecting to find anything. And I didn't. All I found was that a Dirty Commo is probably not the best vehicle to use there. I couldn't get up the hill and reversing back over the small creek, nearly lost a front bumber. But Commos are tuff 8) .
So where are Ferntree and Ironbark Falls and what do they look like?
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby holleysguide » Sun 17 May, 2009 8:59 am

Leda Falls was last identifed in 1888 in the Australasian sketcher as being on Saxelby Creek, there is a pic on the Vic library website.

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/b/5/ ... 1042.shtml

Since then there has been a lot of tin mining and several dams have let go, probably rearranging the original site. Just above the junction of Saxelby Creek with Golden Fleece Rivulet there is a gorge with a drop of about 30 metres over 300 metres where the falls may have been. I suspect it must have been much wetter back then from the gothic description of the darkness of the area and the number of manferns described. There is very little water in the creek these days and the bush is very much dry eucalypt on granite.
holleysguide
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joe » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 8:34 pm

I have been into Ferntree and what is now referred to as Leda by locals of the area. Ferntree are about 100m from the road you were on...there is a bend in the road at one stage with a driveway leading up to a house. Stop where you can on this bend and follow the cleared area down the water. Falls are small but really pretty. In spring climbing over the top is worthwhile as the wildflowers are very pretty.

Leda falls (or what is known as leda nowdays) are best accessed by wading up the creek. Lovely way to spend a summers day. The falls are very pretty.

Both were on Taswaterfalls before i let it lapse and lost the domian :( I am considering redoing the site sometime this year. I will try and dig up photos for you. For the geocachers out there that make it to Leda there is a cache hidden to the left of the falls about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the bank that never got released. My trusty travelling companion on that trip lost the coordinates and I have never made it back ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Joe » Mon 01 Feb, 2010 8:57 pm

ferntreeweb.jpg
Ferntree Falls (well before I owned a slr :D )
ferntreeweb.jpg (193.21 KiB) Viewed 3749 times

leda web.JPG
leda, low water flow
leda web.JPG (218.46 KiB) Viewed 3749 times

Leda is a very pretty swimming hole. above the falls is a very pretty gorge. Great picnic spot.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Return to Tasmania