Falls Creek and PV camping area

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Falls Creek and PV camping area

Postby bailz66 » Mon 20 May, 2013 12:20 pm

Will be walking or skiing through there on 17th of August on our way to Hotham might say hello

-Bailz
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 20 May, 2013 1:03 pm

We may even be able to offer you a cuppa tea in that case
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sim1oz » Sun 26 May, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Moondog,

I've been following this thread for a while and meaning to write. Which weekends in August will you be there? I had a great time in PV last Spring (walked to Hotham and back) and it would be fun to see it in the snow. Since we've missed your big dropoff we'll have to cart stuff in. Do they let backpacks or sleds on the chairlift? (A little lazy shortcut, I know!). Any other tips are welcome! eg. best place to park our car

Cheers
sim1
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 27 May, 2013 8:15 am

Sleds I am not sure, probably not. To know the answer you should call FCski lift Co
rucksacks are a YES and if you know the road I always park at Turnback, just before the turn-off to McKay power station where the road doubles around.
You can drive in to the village for free if you stay no longer than 10 minutes or so and it is only a 4 k walk [ I always hitch back] I will be there the first 3 week-ends in August. August 01 to August 21
Andrew and I left the essentials; Firewood and port; and I will still be dragging in a sled
What we also left was some strong tall A-poles to put a shelter tarp over the picnic table
Yes PV is one of the prettiest areas in the whole High Plains and very good CC skiing
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sim1oz » Thu 30 May, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks, Moondog. I've put it in my diary, and I'll see how we go farming out our kids to decide which weekend. I do hope we can make it - sounds like lots of fun. A tarp over the picnic table is a brilliant idea.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 31 May, 2013 7:52 am

Are the kids too young to bring or do you need a week-end off?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dplanet » Fri 31 May, 2013 5:47 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Sleds I am not sure, probably not. To know the answer you should call FCski lift Co
rucksacks are a YES and if you know the road I always park at Turnback, just before the turn-off to McKay power station where the road doubles around.
You can drive in to the village for free if you stay no longer than 10 minutes or so and it is only a 4 k walk [ I always hitch back] I will be there the first 3 week-ends in August. August 01 to August 21
Andrew and I left the essentials; Firewood and port; and I will still be dragging in a sled
What we also left was some strong tall A-poles to put a shelter tarp over the picnic table
Yes PV is one of the prettiest areas in the whole High Plains and very good CC skiing

CC trail map is down. See the link http://www.fallscreek.com.au/Maps
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby sim1oz » Tue 04 Jun, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi dplanet, thanks for pointing out the CC trail map.

Moondog, we could bring the kids... I was just thinking others might prefer not to have them around :D I guess we'll play it by ear...
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 12:47 pm

Hell I'm a grandfather, bring the kids they will love it [ if the correct preparations are made and they stay warm and reasonable dry] I was going to bring the big Fairydown "Plateau" anyway, and you are welcome to borrow it and if you ride the chairlift to the summit the walk in is reasonably short too, I would say with kids that was worth paying for.
Kids are a joy as well as a burden and responsibility
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sim1oz » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi Moondog,

That's a very generous offer on both counts. I'm hoping to take the kids for their first snowshoeing experience at Lake Mountain during the school holidays, and then maybe a snowcamp (or two) somewhere 'closish' to Melbourne, like along the AAWT near Baw Baw. If that all goes well, I think we may bring them along and then I'd love to take you up on the offer of the Fairdown Plateau for the weekend. Is that a two or three person tent? We'll make up our mind mid-July and hopefully now which weekend by then

BTW, if you make it an annual event then I really like the term someone coined earlier - Moondog Muster!
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 10:03 pm

The Plateau is really a 2 person tent but if you leave your gear outside it will fit Mum Dad and 2 kids It is just a touch larger than a Macpac Olympus. Different design to the current Plateau Twin equal sized vestibules and an external frame.
No problem as I was going to bring it anyway, it needs using
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes