Wyperfeld

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Wyperfeld

Postby Earwig » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 2:43 pm

After reading posts on this site about places that offer wilderness/solitude (and I didn't like the comment about the Carlton Footy Cub in September being a lonely, desolate place - just wait) I decided to visit Wyperfeld. The place is magnificent; different to where I normally go, and the feeling of being away from everyone was quite strong. It must be a true wilderenss because my mobile couldn't get reception. Great for birds, would be fantastic after rain. The waterholes and lakes were all but dry when we were there. You can read about it and see a few pics on the following links.

My hiking blog => http://ian-folly.blogspot.com.au/
Some Wyperfeld pics => http://www.flickr.com/photos/follypics/sets/72157634607255324/

Disappointments - I wanted to climb Mt Wycheproof (the world's smallest mountain) on the way but ran out of time. I actually didn't notice it - I think it was behind the pub somewhere. I will return to Wyperfeld, hopefully after winter when there is water but before it gets too hot, and I will climb that mountian when I go.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Wyperfeld

Postby Earwig » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 2:47 pm

I forgot to mention that we only did day walks out of the southern camping area, which is quite large with plenty of space given there was only one other group there. There is scope for overnighters with have the potential for some real "out on your own" experiences.
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 3:39 pm

I love the mallee country. I've done Murray-Sunset, Hattah-Kulkyne and Little Desert, only Wyperfeld left. You should try the pink lakes, hard to beat as a camping spot. Birds are plentiful, so are Western Grey Kangaroos, a nice change from the Eastern greys we see all the time. It's a very relaxing area, I wish I had a 4WD to explore even further. Although even in late October I had freezing temperatures at night, how were yours ?
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Earwig » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 6:15 pm

Nights were two or three below zero. The tents were frost-covered each morning and took an hour of sun to thaw.
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 7:17 pm

Hey earwig
I've wanted to do wyperfeld for awhile now and after researching that my great grand dad was a driving force in the creation of the park I have a renewed interest. Had to laugh about the mountain heights there, the one named after him is 96.7 meters lol and its the highest.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby walkon » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 7:18 pm

Hey earwig
I've wanted to do wyperfeld for awhile now and after researching that my great grand dad was a driving force in the creation of the park I have a renewed interest. Had to laugh about the mountain heights there, the one named after him is 96.7 meters lol and its the highest.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby vagrom » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 8:51 pm

Wyperfeld; Western Vic. Great choice. Desert wilderness, within reach.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby peregrinator » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 5:18 pm

If anyone's planning walking in the NP, I'd advise that the Desert Walk 7km loop (begins SW of Wonga Camp, off Nine Mile Square Track) is best ignored for some time. Unless you enjoy looking at black sticks and sand. A recent burn-off covers most of the area. It's a depressing sight and looks like rehabilitation will take quite a while.

There is also a smaller area burnt along most of the length of both sides of Cameron Track between Black Flat and Everard Track. It's not as savagely burnt, but has promoted weed growth.

Otherwise, the place looks good after some reasonable rainfall during autumn.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby philthy » Fri 27 Jun, 2014 4:22 pm

Did you get a look at the northern section of the park? Interested in visiting the Mallee for the first time in mid-late July and unsure where to go...
philthy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby peregrinator » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 12:57 pm

I've done quite a few walks in both the southern and northern sections. I've enjoyed all of the walks in both sections and couldn't recommend one over any other. The country is very suitable for off-track walking so there's no reason to be confined to tracks. Murray-Sunset NP is similar in this regard (generally sandier though). The 2 to 3 day loop walk is worth considering.

On my recent Wyperfeld trip I got as far north as the Northern Remote Camp for walkers only. Started and finished at the Nine Mile Square car park. Unless you particularly need a table, dunny and water tank, I think you're better off camping elsewhere, as it's not a hugely attractive spot. I camped in the dry creek bed not far from there (Outlet Creek). Not hard to find a fallen tree branch to sit on and only a stroll to the official camp for the other facilities if required.

Just remembered that when I was there in the first week of June, the Devils Pools on the loop track from Wonga Camp had water and ducks, so you might find that walk of interest in July.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes