Popular question - Why do messages stay in the Outbox?

Discussion about this site, including these forums (eg, suggestions, comments, queries). Topics may be manually deleted occasionally (eg, after suggestions dealt with, or changes bedded in).

Popular question - Why do messages stay in the Outbox?

Postby tasadam » Wed 09 Jun, 2010 10:59 am

Hi all
This is a popular question, so I thought I'd make this post to explain.
When you send a PM, it goes to your Outbox.
This gives you the opportunity to edit it until such time as the recipient reads the PM.
If you do edit a PM in the Outbox, the PM will show Last edited (date), edited X times total when the recipient receives it.
If you are in the process if editing a PM when the recipient reads the PM, the edits will be abandoned, it won't let you.

Once a PM is read, it is then in your Sent messages folder.

If you send a PM to multiple recipients, it will be moved to the Sent messages folder once it has been read by any one of the recipients.

Hope that helps.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Re: Popular question - Why do messages stay in the Outbox?

Postby mjdalessa » Fri 04 Nov, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for that! I remember once I noticed a message was staying in the outbox so sent the unfortunate person 5-10 messages of the same thing! :oops:
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Rob A » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 8:42 am

With regard to inbox/outbox, I dont quite understand;
Is the "new messages" at log on, not related to the PM box? And no, the screenshots were not taken out of order.
Buried lower in this sub forum is a Quick Tute help. Can this or something like it be made a sicky for new bods to easily find? Or maybe this and similar could be stuck in 'Testing and Learning' which is where, being not so bright, I first went looking for stuff about using the site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 9:08 am

The number of "new messages" shown at the top of most forum pages is related to the number of new messages in your PM inbox since you last viewed your inbox, whether you've read those messages or not. So if it says "3 new messages" and you then click on it (or otherwise view the list of messages in your PM inbox), but do not view the contents of any of those messages, and then got back to the index page, it will say "0 new messages", even though there are still 3 unread messages in your inbox.

I find this to be rather annoying, and I've no idea why they decided that was a good way to implement it.

I can see the confusion of the "Testing and Learning" site. I might go and remove the "Learning" bit from that forum name.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Rob A » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 10:06 am

The top screenshot is at first log on. The reason I knew to check my inbox was the notification sent to my gmail. Maybe I did open my PM Control Panel some time yesterday after the message was sent and didnt notice the inbound PM to open it.
More likely I was trying to re re send the message that seemed stuck in my outbox :oops: :mrgreen:.
There are a number of things that are a bit quirky to this forum and it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to have somewhere with threads like WalkinTas' held at the top.
Anyway, thanks for that.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 17 Jan, 2012 11:51 am

There is also the official phpBB FAQ linked to at the top right of every forum page (doesn't have all the answers, but can be helpful sometimes).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tasadam » Wed 31 Jul, 2013 10:03 pm

A small change has been made to the forum.
When you send a PM, you will briefly see this message -
Your message has been sent successfully. It will remain in your outbox until read by a recipient, where it will then appear in your "sent items" folder.

It has been reworded due to the influx of questions relating to mail sitting in the "Outbox".
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Mountain Rocket » Thu 01 Aug, 2013 12:21 pm

Welcomed change.
Mountain Rocket

Return to Forum & Site