Camp Grounds With Some Facilities?

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Camp Grounds With Some Facilities?

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 10 Aug, 2007 8:04 pm

OK, I still haven't managed to go "car camping" since my last topic in this forum, and still haven't checked out the great suggestions I got there yet. I guess I've not yet adjusted to having a young family. :-)

In any case my requirements for camping grounds have changed... I'm now trying to find somewhere to go that has some limited facilities. This is because we're trying to arrange for a camping trip over the summer with a family who want to do their first ever family camp. They would like somewhere with at least toilets, and preferably showers (but I think they'd be OK with a portable shower). Not sure if they'll cope with pit toilets or not, so I'm open to suggestions for either long drops or for flushers.

The ones I know of off the top of my head are:

Bakers Beach (flushing toilets, and bathrooms, but requires camping fees)
Mt William National Park (long drops)
The Gardens (long drops)
Eddystone Point - Deep Creek (long drops)

All of these will be completely crowded at the time we want to go (immediately after Christmas), but there's not much we can do about that, I suppose. If petrol wasn't so expensive, I'd drive up and claim our spot before Christmas.

Any suggestions for other locations, or any recommendations for/against any of the above camping areas?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Sat 11 Aug, 2007 1:56 pm

Scotts peak car park - where the Junction Creek walk starts (Port Davey track / Eastern Arthurs) was a lovely place.
Pit toilets, camp grounds, a couple of picnic tables in a shelter. But check with the ranger at Mt Field for the latest on what's there and how busy it gets at your time of year...
Will give it some more thought too.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 11 Aug, 2007 2:15 pm

tasadam wrote:Scotts peak car park - where the Junction Creek walk starts (Port Davey track / Eastern Arthurs) was a lovely place.
Pit toilets, camp grounds, a couple of picnic tables in a shelter. But check with the ranger at Mt Field for the latest on what's there and how busy it gets at your time of year...
Will give it some more thought too.

Good idea... I've never stayed there, but have parked the car nearby a few times, and it does look nice! I reckon I'll use that one day, for sure... not sure if the other family will go for it on this particular occasion, as they've got kids (about 12, I think) who'll want something to do, which probably means a beach (don't think I'd be able to convince them to walk the track for a bit, unfortunately).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Sat 11 Aug, 2007 3:30 pm

bakers beach is good for family with kids. pletny of amenities and also the bonus of masses of wildlife.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Speculator » Sun 12 Aug, 2007 9:57 am

Lake Pedder?

It might need some further investigation, but I think there's toilets there but no showers or anything. I've never been but it's supposed to be a lovely spot.

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 13 Aug, 2007 2:18 pm

OK, I've talked to the other family again, and they are pretty dead-set on having flushing toilets for their first trip, and will consider trying something else another time if all goes well. They want to make sure they all enjoy it so that they will want to do it again, I think.

Anyone been to the Raspen camp ground at Orford?

It sounds ideal apart from the traffic noise at night, and having to pay to pitch a tent and to have a shower (but fees are unavoidable if you want facilities).

I've also found a good list from the parks department. Some of these look good. UBut not sure about flushing toilets. Some are clear about if they have them and some are not.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Mon 13 Aug, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 13 Aug, 2007 2:20 pm

Speculator wrote:Lake Pedder?

It might need some further investigation, but I think there's toilets there but no showers or anything. I've never been but it's supposed to be a lovely spot.

L8r.

Is that the one near Scotts Peak Dam (near the start of the walking track across the Arthur Plains)? It does look nice a nice spot. Or is there another one at Lake Pedder somewhere?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Speculator » Mon 13 Aug, 2007 2:55 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
Speculator wrote:Lake Pedder?

L8r.

Is that the one near Scotts Peak Dam (near the start of the walking track across the Arthur Plains)? It does look nice a nice spot. Or is there another one at Lake Pedder somewhere?

There ya go, it's in that Parks list. It seems there's 3 grounds and two are on scotts peak road.

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Camping at Mt. Field Nat. Park.

Postby flyfisher » Tue 25 Sep, 2007 6:54 pm

There is a very nice campground at Mt. Field Nat. Park which gives
good access to many interesting spots close by.
It is at low altitude,so not too cold, and has a large area for
kids to play

For fees and facilities Ph 0362881526
Cheers
John
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Re: Camp Grounds With Some Facilities?

Postby Natt » Tue 18 Dec, 2007 9:55 am

Just a few things with Car Camping

How do you feel about generators?

You will encounter them in your travels - and it can get annoying if its a noisy one (most tend to be)

Also there tends to be some ferals that gather in campgrounds - not many but we were rousted out of an area around Scotts Peak Dam as people were doing donuts at 2am in the morning

Still its worth doing - just pick your times away from the long weekends etc

These publications may help :)

Edit (SOB): See 'Bushwalking Books' topic HERE

PS I hope this was OK to post here - not taking any commissions etc 8)
Natt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby TassieMargie » Sat 05 Jan, 2008 12:56 pm

I think one of the best campgrounds in the state is at Dora Point near St Helens in the North East. It has flushing toilets and there are showers but they are freezing cold. The closest showers with warm water would be the marina in St Helens itself. At this time of year it might be a little crowded, you would just have to check it out.

There are plenty of beaches in the area and it is close to ST Helens. There are also lots of other campgrounds in the area that have facilities.

If you would like more info on campgrounds for car camping check out http://www.realtasmania.com. We did some car camping and wrote about campgrounds around Tassie and there are some reviews of campgrounds at the site.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 05 Jan, 2008 7:58 pm

TassieMargie wrote:I think one of the best campgrounds in the state is at Dora Point near St Helens in the North East. It has flushing toilets and there are showers but they are freezing cold. The closest showers with warm water would be the marina in St Helens itself. At this time of year it might be a little crowded, you would just have to check it out.

There are plenty of beaches in the area and it is close to ST Helens. There are also lots of other campgrounds in the area that have facilities.

If you would like more info on campgrounds for car camping check out http://www.realtasmania.com. We did some car camping and wrote about campgrounds around Tassie and there are some reviews of campgrounds at the site.

Hi Margie,

Would you please consider copy/pasting the relevant information that you've posted to the Real Tasmania forums here as well? (if it was posted by you, and not by another member there).

In any case, I hope that Real Tasmania and Bushwalk Tasmania can be a good resource for each other's users.

Cheers,
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 06 Jan, 2008 2:06 pm

No problems, Margie. Hey, I finally got around to having a proper look at the camp ground forum on Real Tasmania (car camping camp grounds), and you've got a great list there. I'll definitely be returning when looking for my next car camping location.

Looks like you do a lot of camping. How often do you do a car camping trip? I used to go a lot, but it's only about once a year for me these days.

I haven't looked at the rest of your forums yet, but will do when I get a chance.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TassieMargie » Sun 13 Jan, 2008 11:59 am

We like to car camp as often as possible. Sometimes returning to old, favoured spots and other times to places we've driven past before. We like to get out once a month at least and it also depends on the weather when we do get out.

Hope you enjoy the site and get lots of info that is helpful.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Cheesypigs » Tue 05 Feb, 2008 3:10 pm

Cloudy Bay at the Southern end of Bruny has a long drop only, and the best part is that area is free. Or there are two other caravan parks on the island as well.
Cheesypigs
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Between Bushwalks