Marysville (2013)

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Marysville (2013)

Postby ozgreg » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi All,

It's been four years since the fires at Marysville, so I took a day off and turned the cup day into a long weekend to hire out a house, stuff it full of friends and naturally go out and visit some of my old hiking spots around the area.. I was a little shocked at the poor hiking conditions in the area, clearly illustrating how the park rangers are overwhelmed with limbs constantly falling with every high wind.. (Our track was actually cut off on the way back with a newly fallen limb) but the area is still stunning in it's natural beauty even with the very visible remains from the fire which of course makes for some very visual backdrops..

So grab your camera and pay the area a visit and pick up some branches along the way to give the rangers a hand :-)
Attachments
PB020337.jpg
PB030698.jpg
PB030589.jpg
PB020499.jpg
PB020490.jpg
ozgreg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Marysville (2013)

Postby MickyB » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 11:21 am

Great photos ozgreg. Thanks for sharing. I have been to Marysville a few times since Black Saturday but it took me about 18 months to go there after the devasting fires. (I personally know a few families that were affected by the fires - no fatalities thankfully). It's great to see the town and houses being rebuilt and tourists returning to the area.

I have been on some of the tracks around Marysville since the fires and in some places it's just eerie.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby ozgreg » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 9:07 pm

MickyB wrote:Great photos ozgreg. Thanks for sharing. I have been to Marysville a few times since Black Saturday but it took me about 18 months to go there after the devastating fires. (I personally know a few families that were affected by the fires - no fatalities thankfully). It's great to see the town and houses being rebuilt and tourists returning to the area.

I have been on some of the tracks around Marysville since the fires and in some places it's just eerie.

I did a lot of walking around the area pre the fire and I found it initially really hard to return and the town is slowly coming back again.. The new conference centre will be open this time next year which I think will bring some more life back in the town..

I agree the walks are eerie, the wildlife has not returned so the "normal" noise of the woods is missing, you get some usually cheeky birds but it does not feel the same and the walking I found to be harder because you really got to watch your feet as their is left over debris partly hidden by a mass of green growth..

Don't get me wrong I love the area and you could spend hours taking endless photos of the riot of colours due to the undergrowth against the grey or the black, it's a great area that I always put on the revisit list..
Attachments
PB020354.jpg
PB040090.jpg
ozgreg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby eggs » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 11:07 pm

Very nice photos. Thanks
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby tibboh » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 7:01 am

eggs wrote:Very nice photos. Thanks

+1, eerie.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ozgreg » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 8:29 pm

eggs wrote:Very nice photos. Thanks

High praise coming from the man who sets the standard for some VERY nice photo's himself... :-)
ozgreg
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Gallery