Headlamp

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Headlamp

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 10:18 am

blacksheep wrote:Phil, your pics have me wondering if I'm looking at overgrown sandpits or under grown vege patches ;) Or maybe just mixed terrain for tent peg testing?

:lol: It's my attempt at gardening. I hate mowing so I thought I should make a couple garden beds in the middle of the yard to minimize mowing. This is the honest truth, but it was a while back I done this. I had some great fruit and veges come out of this patch over the years. I been thinking about leveling this ground out and reintroduce grass.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby Joomy » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 1:33 pm

Strider wrote:
Joomy wrote:Wait what? The website says you can use Alkalines and that's what I've been using so far.
They will work...but only properly for about 5 minutes until they become unable to run the light at full output.

Oic. Well yeah I don't use mine at full output very often so no biggie. I have Eneloops ready to go, just waiting for the alkaline to actually run out...
Joomy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 28 Jan, 2014 4:33 pm

Quick update on my new Zebra Light. I love this light. It's a bit heavier than I would have liked, but the battery lasts a long time and it's easy to use and has a very strong light when required.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby David M » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 9:30 am

I am a flashlight fanatic but I am struggling to choose among the diversity of Zebralight's headlamp offerings. I was originally against using a 18650 battery as most in a group wouldn't use these but I figure as long as I have one torch that uses a common battery then all will be ok. Any ideas?
David M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Paul » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 7:34 pm

Spikelight.

Paul
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 8:57 pm

Like my Zebralight very much but not needing to use it on a regular basis means I kept on having to revisit the instruction manual. I really should put together an abbreviated summary on my iPhone. :(
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 9:00 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Like my Zebralight very much but not needing to use it on a regular basis means I kept on having to revisit the instruction manual. I really should put together an abbreviated summary on my iPhone. :(

It's really not that difficult. Sounds like you need to start making excuses to use it more often!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby David M » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 6:29 am

I was thinking of getting the Zebralight H600w Mk II 18650 XM-L2 Headlamp Neutral White. What do you think?

The Australian Spikelight looks fantastic too but much more than I want to spend right now.
David M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 9:03 am

Strider wrote:It's really not that difficult. Sounds like you need to start making excuses to use it more often!

True. I do need to carry it more often. Yet again, I rarely need to change mode, one that leads to memory block when it's called for.
These days, I am having trouble remembering all the functions of each gadget I own... Either I've finally collected too many gadgets or I am getting "old" and reaching capacity. :roll:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mountain Rocket » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 9:16 am

Haha speaking of 'understanding' Zebralights, my friend recently borrowed mine and spent ~20 minutes trying to turn it off. Apparently pressing a button once can be too confusing for some. ;-)
Mountain Rocket

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 9:58 am

Robert H wrote:Haha speaking of 'understanding' Zebralights, my friend recently borrowed mine and spent ~20 minutes trying to turn it off. Apparently pressing a button once can be too confusing for some. ;-)

True. Double click is so logical and natural when one is used to computer mice with dodgy buttons...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby forest » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 10:04 am

I find myself grabbing my H600 FW MkII most often out of my light collection. It packs some serious punch for the size and I really like the floody beam. If you need to spot stuff off in the distance the regular might be good with more throw but if you only need to see out to maybe 40-50m at the most the full power setting will achieve this on the floody H600. It's a pretty powerful little headlight (And I own a spikelight so I don't say that lightly)
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Postby Supertramp » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 6:25 pm

Paul wrote:Spikelight.

No lumens quoted, so no interest from me.
I know lumens aren't everything, but they help you gauge a rough idea.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 3:59 pm

My H600F sits on my bench beside me all the time. I always grab it when I need light. It's the best light purchase I've made, very happy with mine.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kitty » Thu 20 Mar, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi,I have twice purchased directly from zebralight, once via Dhl and the other through their free shipping. No hassles, arrived within expected time frames. I have the H502w and Sc52w. Love them both, easy to use, configurable brightness, can switch on v.v.low light first, then cycle up the brightness. I use eneloops, and i like that it uses only one battery only, not three :)
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby roysta » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 8:30 pm

Got a Fenix HL30 today.
I already have a BD Icon, both 200 lumens but the BD has 4 x AAs and weighs 210g while the Fenix has 2 x AAs and is 97g.
Will be testing the Fenix on Monday/Tuesday.
roysta

Postby Empty » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 6:37 pm

roysta wrote:Got a Fenix HL30 today.
I already have a BD Icon, both 200 lumens but the BD has 4 x AAs and weighs 210g while the Fenix has 2 x AAs and is 97g.
Will be testing the Fenix on Monday/Tuesday.

Any feedback on the Fenix Roysta? My headlight died Saturday night so I am in the market for something. Notice they sell these at Bunnings of all places for $65.90
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Empty » Tue 15 Apr, 2014 6:00 pm

Pressure's off Roysta. I ended up buying a black diamond spot.
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Tue 15 Apr, 2014 9:37 pm

I have a few for different uses.
BD icon (older model) which doesn't seem as much use, but is great for when I need gobs of run time, it also sits well on my mountain helmet, which is nice.
BD gizmo Great little light. Its my general purpose, around the house light, and for hikes. I don't tend to need much light for walking, so the gizmo does well paired with something throwy like my fenix E11.
Fenix HL10 interesting little light, I've been using mostly at work when i just need a few hours of light on a dark packdown, to find things in the shadows. Not enough runtime to replace the gizmo for walking, and I'm not in love with the UI, but it gets the job done, is pretty solid, and provides a great light. best of all, its nice and compact in my bag-o-doom.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby shurik » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 3:48 pm

Hey guys, have a read of this thread and thinking of getting the zebralight.
One thing I dont understand, one their website they have 2 similar models, H52 and H52F. Which one is the newer/better model? Or are they good in their own ways?
Basically, if I buy it - might as well get the latest/best version.

Also, how are these for trekking/running? Is the headband ok? I've read somewhere that it can get shaky. Lastly, how is it in rain, can it get damaged or is water resistant?

Thanks
shurik
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 4:11 pm

shurik wrote:Hey guys, have a read of this thread and thinking of getting the zebralight.
One thing I dont understand, one their website they have 2 similar models, H52 and H52F. Which one is the newer/better model? Or are they good in their own ways?

Also, how are these for trekking/running? Is the headband ok? I've read somewhere that it can get shaky. Lastly, how is it in rain, can it get damaged or is water resistant?

Thanks

This might help:
From: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... convention

All are water resistant:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... -standards
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby shurik » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 4:42 pm

icefest wrote:
shurik wrote:Hey guys, have a read of this thread and thinking of getting the zebralight.

Thanks

This might help:
From: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... convention

All are water resistant:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... -standards

I got the water resistant part, but the other part I still don't, sorry :-)
Need a simpler explanation or if you know a store in Sydney I can visit and ask there, would also be great.
Thank you
shurik
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 5:51 pm

Simple explanation:

The "F" means the front is frosted, so it spreads the same amount of light out at a wider angle.

This means it doesn't throw as far.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 8:35 pm

icefest wrote:Simple explanation:

The "F" means the front is frosted, so it spreads the same amount of light out at a wider angle.

This means it doesn't throw as far.
But provides a much nicer light for all round usage IMO.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 11:25 pm

"Frost"? Or "Flood"?
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby icefest » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 12:21 am

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:"Frost"? Or "Flood"?

Does it matter? Both spread out the light.

From their website:

Floody beam from frosted lens, with 90 degree beam spread)
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 12:51 am

The Frosted lenses still utilise a reflector behind the emitter so there is still 'some' throw from the light.

Zebralights flood lights do not have a reflector. Ie. the H502 series. Personally I'd get a std light with reflector or buy a pure flood light. You can add a diffuser to the first if needed but if you buy a light with the frosted lens you are stuck in the middle, average throw average flood.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby stry » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:11 am

I have both the H51 and the H51F. I don't know if the beam pattern changed when the model number changed.

For all round use, I prefer the H51F. Also quite OK for walking at night. I prefer the H51 for walking at night. For running, I would expect the standard H51 to be better.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Travis22 » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:55 am

Your H51 uses a smaller emitter stry, so despite only a small change between reflectors on the H51/H52 the H51 has less spill and a tighter hot spot (will throw further with less output) and the H52 has a naturally more spill light / and a much larger hot spot because the emitter is twice the size of that in the H51.
Travis22

Postby stry » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:30 am

Travis22 wrote:Your H51 uses a smaller emitter stry, so despite only a small change between reflectors on the H51/H52 the H51 has less spill and a tighter hot spot (will throw further with less output) and the H52 has a naturally more spill light / and a much larger hot spot because the emitter is twice the size of that in the H51.

Don't tell me that. That's close to a reason for (yet) another light. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Ultralight backpacking