ULTRALIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

ULTRALIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY

Postby wayno » Tue 01 Apr, 2014 4:40 pm

For the dedicated ultralight backpacker, photography has always been something of a burden. You spend hours and hours working out ways to shave grams from the weight of your shelter and clothing, cutting off labels and extraneous pieces of cotton, repackaging food, and carefully weighing spoons in order to find the lightest one. And then, having finally got your pack down to sub 6kg levels, you grab your 1.2kg of (minimised) camera equipment and curse the day you picked up your first instamatic and pushed the button on a slippery slope towards ultra heavy image perfection.

http://www.backpackingnorth.com/blog/20 ... hotography
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: ULTRALIGHT PHOTOGRAPHY

Postby photohiker » Tue 01 Apr, 2014 9:09 pm

Amusing, but he is still talking about a 1.2kg DSLR.

Anyone interested in reducing weight left their DSLRs at home years ago.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Tue 01 Apr, 2014 10:41 pm

photohiker wrote:Amusing, but he is still talking about a 1.2kg DSLR.

Anyone interested in reducing weight left their DSLRs at home years ago.

I'm expecting much more cameras like the A7 in the future; lighter, less material, less moving parts.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Wed 02 Apr, 2014 4:07 am

it was an april fool joke, why else would he talk about saving a gram by taking the label off and the more you read the more ridiculous the article becomes
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby photohiker » Wed 02 Apr, 2014 8:48 am

wayno wrote:it was an april fool joke, why else would he talk about saving a gram by taking the label off and the more you read the more ridiculous the article becomes

55% Could try harder. :D

It's not easy to do an April Fools article well. I didn't read it all but it read like nonsense from the start. The object is to suck people in, anyone walking LW is already highly unlikely to carry heavy camera gear unless they have a very good reason.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Supertramp » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 3:22 pm

Yeah part of the reason I don't carry my gear when hiking, my camera body & one lens weighs over 3kg's!!
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPPJ » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:37 am

What is that one lens? a 70-300mm zoom?

A plastic 50mm, eg f1.8 nifty fifty Canon?

I would be most tempted to take my faithful f3.5 20mm prime, a nikkor, years old but its gold.

Most would go for a zoom I suppose.
Ross
GPPJ
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:48 am

This!

Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPPJ » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 11:06 am

Ironic - why wasn't the pad sketched I wonder?
Ross
GPPJ
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Supertramp » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 4:57 pm

GPPJ wrote:What is that one lens? a 70-300mm zoom?

A plastic 50mm, eg f1.8 nifty fifty Canon?

I would be most tempted to take my faithful f3.5 20mm prime, a nikkor, years old but its gold.

Most would go for a zoom I suppose.

The lens would be the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM II, I don't think I would want to risk not having a lens that isn't water resistant.
If I was to go lighter, I'd take my 17-40mm, but the setup would still weigh 2 kg's!!

I wouldn't bother with the nifty fifty these days, I'd get nearly as good photo's from my phone.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 6:14 pm

You could always try the binocular retina system with on-board storage. Main problems are the conversion of images for others to enjoy and no zoom. But Gps's offering provides a add on solution to these shortcomings.

Zero weight, zero cost. The perfect SUL solution.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 8:45 pm

It's interesting isn't it? Walkers of past years could only sketch what they saw. I wonder how the experience is altered by the fact that one would need to sit down, study every detail of a scene and transfer it all to paper? Versus point and click a button and then move on.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPPJ » Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:48 pm

Um, no, point shoot is old hat. Join a photography club - its a sport nowadays. DSLRs are everywhere - so many retiree dream treks snapping portraits thru Tibet, Thailand, Tanzania, Trinidad. Everyone wants to be Steve McCurry.
Ross
GPPJ
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby headwerkn » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 11:14 pm

I've pretty much come full circle.... well, almost.

Started out dragging several kilos of all-metal film SLR and several prime lens....eventually got a modern digital SLR with a couple of zooms... got sick of weight, bulk and risk to a few grand's worth of gear... bought a cheapish point and shoot... realised I got better images from my phone, so just used that (comes along on hikes for emergencies and backup nav anyway)... have now realised I take very few photos (most are panoramas) due to the iPhone's fixed lens... so I'm literally a week away from throwing down cash for a EOS100D, will probably carry a 18-135mm STM and be done with it.

Given how much weight I've managed to shed from going UL in the first place, I can afford the 900gr or so for a 'proper' camera setup. Photography has a been a passion of mine for a long time, so it hardly makes sense to come back from a great trip only have to a few panos and a couple of average 28mm equiv. snapshots of the trout I've caught.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby icefest » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 12:53 am

I've been in a similar boat, headwerkn, and have just bought the A7. It'll get tested over the weekend with a 15 year old Nikon lens, while I'm waiting for the sony e mount lens to come.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Ultralight backpacking