Preston & Delaneys Falls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Preston & Delaneys Falls

Postby walkinTas » Sun 05 Aug, 2012 1:42 am

As you turn into Raymond Rd the sign says "Waterfall 1". There are in fact three sets of falls in Preston Creek. The first set of falls are just on the corner as you enter Raymond Rd from the Preston end. There is an old track into these falls, but it looks to have been closed long ago. The local authorities have erected signs telling visitor of the dangers presented by slippery rocks and exposed cliffs. The track leading to the base of the falls once boasted treated pine steps and railings, but much of the wood work is falling apart now. The track is slippery and a little perilous and the falls are not easy to reach. I don't know if these falls have a name but since they once had a track they might also have a name (even if it is just a local name). I've called them "Upper" Preston Falls to distinguish them from Preston Falls.

About 800 metres down Raymond Rd there is a car park and sign the invites you to view "Preston" Falls. A well constructed path and stairway lead down across Preston Creek over the top of the falls to the viewing platform where you can see the full drop of Delaneys Falls. This is the third set of falls, and this set of falls is marked on Tasmaps and on theList as Delaneys Falls. The narrow fall drops into a very steep ravine.

The third set of falls is the smallest drop at 4-5m, but the broadest of the three falls. It is about mid-way between the other two falls. There is the hint of a pad up along the creek from Delaneys Falls, but it is choked with blackberry and very slippery under foot. These falls are marked on Tasmaps, but not named. They are referenced on theList as Preston Falls.

This article can be edited and improved on the WIki

PrestonCrkFalls.jpg
Upper Preston Falls, Preston Falls, Delaneys Falls.
PrestonCrkFalls.jpg (209.91 KiB) Viewed 16392 times
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Preston & Delaneys Falls

Postby walkinTas » Sun 05 Aug, 2012 12:54 pm

Ok, finished playing with this (for now :) )! I hope this helps those setting out to bag these falls. I also hope I have the facts correct and that I have cleared up some of the confusion (well I was a little confused anyway - but no more). If you do have any additional or different information on these falls please let us know (or add a bit to the Wiki page if that is your pleasure). ;)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RSD » Sun 05 Aug, 2012 1:47 pm

For those of us who are new to the bushwalking caper what is "theList" and where is it found? I'm guessing it's a list of waterfalls but I could be wildly wrong.
Has backpack - will travel...
RSD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Sun 05 Aug, 2012 2:07 pm

TheLIST is a gov website. You can use it to search for locations and view maps (among other things). Its a handy resource.

Start here --> http://www.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/listmapstart.jsp

http://www.thelist.tas.gov.au/docs/about/about.html wrote:The LIST (Land Information System Tasmania) is a whole of government service that delivers integrated land information online.

Information available through the LIST can be divided into two areas:
  • Online access to title and property information held by the Department of Primary Industries and Water....
  • Online delivery of spatial information through LISTmap...

Bushwalk.com does have a list of waterfalls on our Wiki. The co-ordinates given for the falls in the wiki list have all been cross referenced using theLIST and/or 1:25000 Tasmaps. Of course the real authority on what name belongs where is the nomenclature board.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sun 06 Apr, 2014 7:27 am

The North Western Advocate and the Emu Bay Times, Wednesday 8 March 1905 wrote: ULVERSTONE
A meeting of the Ulverstone Progress Association was held in the Town Hall on Monday night... It was decided to have a track cut to River Falls at Preston and that Mr W. Delaney be requested to have the work done; also that 25 copies of the Tourists' Guide be presented to the Primate of Australia on his leaving the district.

The North Western Advocate and the Emu Bay Times, Wednesday 16 September 1908 wrote:TOURIST ASSOCIATION.
A meeting of the committee of the Tourist Association was held on Monday night. Present : Messrs. A. R. Ellis (in the chair), A. C. Solomon, R W. McGowan, R. P. House, G. P. Taylor and the secretary, Mr. E. Frith. The secretary reported having spoken to Mr. Wm. Delaney about the desirability of maintaining Preston Falls in their natural beauty; that gentleman had informed him that the owners of the property had decided to keep the land surrounding the falls in its natural state. (Hear, hear.) A desire was expressed that some members of the association might make it convenient to visit the locality and interview the proprietors of the land.

I don't know for certain if William Delaney is the Delaney after which the falls were named, but he was a pioneer of the Preston region and a land owner. He donated the 1 acre of land where the first Preston State school was built. He was also an elected member of the Leven Road Trust and he is possibly acting in that position when mentioned in the two articles.

At some time the falls were registered with the Nomenclature Board - Nom-Reg-No: 14785W, Delaneys Falls, Object ID: 22895.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Davo1 » Mon 07 Apr, 2014 8:04 am

Hi walkinTas,
Nice to see the falls named as they should be. :-)
The top falls are Upper Preston Falls and it is a shame to see the track let go as it is.
There used to be a bridge across the creek at the top of the falls but this has been removed when they deemed the track not fit for public use.
Many of these small treasures around the northwest are no longer accessible and it appears these closures seem to happening more regular these days.
It is a real shame because many of these features are still listed on tourist information sites and brochures.
It must really peeve the tourists when they find the anticipated short walk is no longer available, must do wonders for the Islands reputation!
Cheers
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby waterfallman » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi all.. Waterfallman here, from Victoria, but soon to be a Tasmanian! My partner and I had a crack at these 3 falls in 2012, helped by the posts here. Upper Preston Falls were er.. somewhat hidden. This is an understatement! It was all so overgrown. I had to scramble down the damp soft bank, under the willows on the south bank, to get a look. What I did see was small, but very pretty. However, the old tin shed and water pump there, detracted from the "ambience". lol. I reckon the bloke on the property to the south of Raymonds rd has stuck his polypipe in there and was accessing water. Possibly illegally? Not sure. Delaneys Falls were easy and lovely. A large stunning drop over a magnificent open valley. Now, Preston Falls, (the ones in the middle) presented more of a challenge. In fact, because we were pressed for time, Only I pressed on up the stream, fighting the blackberries all the way, until I gave up, scratched and weary, and returned defeated. We backtracked up Raymonds Rd, to a point where I thought the falls may be, and I trekked down the bank till I could hear tumbling water, but again, I was defeated by steep soft slopes and thick blackberries. and did not actually see anything. Oh well. We must persevere. Who dares wins etc. Cheers all.
waterfallman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Happily retired!

Postby MickyB » Sat 03 May, 2014 11:41 pm

Steve - PM sent
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Cascade » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 8:27 am

Waterfallman.... Perhaps you should collect facts before making assumptions and posting about legality. Unfortunately our local council does not pipe water as far as Preston, as your's might do to where you live. But, you will be pleased to know that 4 properties between the road bridge and the main fall have legal easement and access to Preston Creek in their land titles, this being for household and stock water supply. Assuming the tin shed (with Aurora power supply) and poly pipe you referred to happens to be the one on the eastern side of the creek near the road bridge, this is actually on titled private property (un-fenced) and this supplies two properties on the eastern side of Preston Rd. The next pipe some 30 meters down on the western side of the creek supplies the 1st house in Goulds Rd and further down the next small tin shed also on the eastern side of the creek is the supply to the old Preston Primary School which is now private property and no longer a government school. Had you asked a local, two methods of easier access (one being through private property on the eastern side of the creek) to the middle fall could have been advised.
Cascade
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MrWalker » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 9:45 am

waterfallman wrote:Upper Preston Falls were er.. somewhat hidden. This is an understatement! It was all so overgrown. I had to scramble down the damp soft bank, under the willows on the south bank, to get a look. What I did see was small, but very pretty.

I visited the falls on the weekend and the uppermost falls are now accessible. There is a parking area with a couple of loads of gravel piled up and sign saying "No Dumping". It might become a real parking area later.
About 20m upstream from the parking area a rough track heads downhill and all the blackberries have been sprayed, so you can easily get to the base of the falls. The rocks are quite interesting and it is nice mossy area, quite different from the main falls.

About 100m up the road from the "carpark" (towards Preston) you can see a wooden fence through the trees. You can easily scramble down from the road to the fence to see the top of the falls.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby waterfallman » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 11:11 pm

Ah.. Thank you for your advice Cascade. I stand corrected. I have now retired here to Devonport, and am now a "new" Tasmanian.
Preston is one of the most delightful areas of Tassie I have come across. I love it! And I hope to get back and see Preston Falls proper and Upper Preston Falls at some point.
I shall make a point of enquiring of the locals for their advice on the appropriate access. Cheers.
waterfallman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Happily retired!

Return to Tasmania