upcoming ultralight gear

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

upcoming ultralight gear

Postby wayno » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 12:05 pm

Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2014 – Gear of Interest for Lightweight and Ultralight Backcountry Travel – Sleeping Pads, Shelters, Backpacks, and Trekking Poles. Plus the Lightest Rain Jacket on the Market, Made Lighter.

http://southwestultralight.blogspot.co. ... -2014.html
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: upcoming ultralight gear

Postby andrewa » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 7:55 pm

Some interesting gear there, Wayno. Thanks for posting.

Sleeping pads seem to have come along in leaps and bounds.....I can see some new ones ending up in our house soon.

None of the tents really tweaked my interest, but then I'm happy with my Zpacks hexamid for lightweight bushwalking.

Similarly, backpack design didn't seem to offer any major innovation.

Berghaus rain jacket is very light. Is it breathable? I've been extremely happy with my Zpacks Cuban jkt, except for the colour, which doesn't suit my interests so well, but I note that my recently ordered black one has just been posted!!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby walkerchris77 » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 8:36 pm

Nice link.... thanks
walkerchris77
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wayno » Sun 24 Aug, 2014 4:51 am

you fussy fussy man andrew....
the berhaus has a water permeability rating of 10,000g/m2/24hrs

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2014/0 ... trade-show

review of the current version from outdoors magic doenst recommend using it with a heavy pack
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/product-re ... 11976.html

the seaa to summit air matresses seem to have had a lot of thought and technology gone into them to stop htem becoming one puncture wonders..
i think i read somewhre else thers a divider down hte length as well as other divider compartments, if you puncture it, it will only go half flat where the puncture is.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Orion » Sun 24 Aug, 2014 7:18 am

The Adventure Medical Kits emergency SOL pad is quite silly. Who would carry a full length emergency pad? Even an obsessive ultralighter would scoff at the notion of a pad that weighs only about 30 grams less than the smallest NeoAir and yet isn't rated for regular use. I knew a guy, back in the day, who slept on bubble wrap to save weight. It was hilarious camping with him since whenever he rolled in the middle of the night we'd hear "POP! POP! POP!" At least his solution didn't go totally flat all at once like the SOL pad might.

I know that SOL means "Survive Outdoors Longer" but that acronym has another meaning that comes to mind in this case.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby beachcruiser » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 3:15 pm

The new Sea to Summit mats look really nice, had a quick look at them at the Australian Outdoor Retailer show back in June and a more thorough look at OR USA last month.

Full Specs are up on the STS website now:
http://www.seatosummit.com.au/sleepingmats/
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby walkerchris77 » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 4:48 pm

Orion wrote:The Adventure Medical Kits emergency SOL pad is quite silly. Who would carry a full length emergency pad? Even an obsessive ultralighter would scoff at the notion of a pad that weighs only about 30 grams less than the smallest NeoAir and yet isn't rated for regular use. I knew a guy, back in the day, who slept on bubble wrap to save weight. It was hilarious camping with him since whenever he rolled in the middle of the night we'd hear "POP! POP! POP!" At least his solution didn't go totally flat all at once like the SOL pad might.

I know that SOL means "Survive Outdoors Longer" but that acronym has another meaning that comes to mind in this case.

He he. Bubble wrap pop pop. Lol
walkerchris77

Return to Ultralight backpacking