2 person hiking tent

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

2 person hiking tent

Postby haki » Thu 15 Jan, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi,

Any suggestions for a good 2 person hiking tent?
Looking for one which is light and easy to pack.
haki
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: 2 person hiking tent

Postby Franco » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 8:52 am

Have you seen anything that you like so far ?
( just to give us an idea of what type of tent you like).
Apart from that, what will be the size of the occupants ?
What would you call light weight ?
Any price point ?
What sort of weather do you expect to use it in?
(snow/exposed areas or not...)
Do you use trekking poles ?
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby horsecat » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 9:09 am

I have a One Planet "Goondie 2" (which really is a one man tent). It is well made, light and packs up very well. The "Goondie 3" might be worth a thought
horsecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 9:47 am

With tents, in particular LW tents, apart from the more obvious physical size of the occupants, even just the type of mat (a 1 cm thick as opposed to say a 7cm one) can make the difference between a tent feeling palatial or a coffin.
I particularly like when I see the same tents described with both two terms, or similar, by different users.
Last edited by Franco on Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby highercountry » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:07 am

highercountry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Empty » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 3:25 pm

I recently bought a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 as a solo bike packing tent. It is luxurious for one and would sleep 2 okay. It weighs in at just 1.42kg which is lighter than my one mane Hilleberg so hiking with it would not be out of the question.

Fantastic tent in the style of Hubba Hubba and Mont Moondance 2 (which I also considered) but lighter. You will need to factor in a groundsheet as the material is very lightweight.

They also make a UL3 which is only 1.8kg. I paid well over $400 but noticed that Wild earth have them on special at the moment for $300 and something ( I have no affiliation with brand or reseller).
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 4:58 pm

A friend of mine has just ordered, or at least about to, a Double Rainbow from Tarptent. They have a few 2 person options that look good.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby aronwidforss » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 6:39 pm

I love my HB Rajd. 1160 g including stakes and everything for two persons.
aronwidforss
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby simonm » Sat 17 Jan, 2015 5:52 am

I have been looking at some of the LightHeart Gear tents recently and they have a 2 person version

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php ... -tents/duo
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Joomy » Tue 20 Jan, 2015 9:11 pm

I am feeling very tempted by the Stratospire 2. If I had a spare $400 I would likely have already bought one. I would likely pair it with Ruta Locura CF poles.
Joomy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Geta » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 10:55 am

simonm wrote:I have been looking at some of the LightHeart Gear tents recently and they have a 2 person version

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php ... -tents/duo

I got back from Lake Tali Karng last night and used my Lightheart Gear Duo for the first time.

Very pleased with it, quite easy to set up and pull down and a palace for one. In hindsight I'd probably have ordered it with an awning on either side for when I'm using it with my wife. We had two warm nights and then a cool one, with some light drizzle on the first night. I didn't have any problems with condensation and ventilation was good.

I spent months comparing tents, looking for a two man light enough for one to carry and I'm glad to say I'm happy with my decision!
Geta
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DanShell » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 11:05 am

Joomy wrote:I am feeling very tempted by the Stratospire 2. If I had a spare $400 I would likely have already bought one. I would likely pair it with Ruta Locura CF poles.

I have a stratospire 1 and love it.

There is a double rainbow on BPL at the moment for around $250USD with some extras.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Imprint » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 11:01 am

I have one of these.
http://www.kelty.com/p-779-tn2.aspx

Not the lightest on the market - all up with footprint around 2kgs - but it's a great little tent, and it packs into a rectangle style packing module which makes for easy packing in my pack.
Imprint
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby pulseevents » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 9:06 pm

Empty wrote:I recently bought a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 as a solo bike packing tent. It is luxurious for one and would sleep 2 okay. It weighs in at just 1.42kg which is lighter than my one mane Hilleberg so hiking with it would not be out of the question.

Fantastic tent in the style of Hubba Hubba and Mont Moondance 2 (which I also considered) but lighter. You will need to factor in a groundsheet as the material is very lightweight.

They also make a UL3 which is only 1.8kg. I paid well over $400 but noticed that Wild earth have them on special at the moment for $300 and something ( I have no affiliation with brand or reseller).

Have been looking around for lightweight two person tent now for a while and while had my heart set on a cuben pyramid tent just couldn't bring myself to hand over that many fun tickets especially with the dollar falling rapidly. Ended up buying a Big Agnes copper spur two after going to buy the fly creek2. copper spur two is a freestanding tent so no need for pegs saving 100g and taking out the bags and other packaging bring s the weight of it down to 1289grams. Add 120 grams for the footprint and that's damn good for a good size two door tent. The other good thing with this tent is the almost vertical walls meaning that pretty much all the floor space is usable.
My tip. go check out whatever tent you like somewhere you can see it up and take your sleeping matt with you so you can get a feel for size and space.
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Franco » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 7:48 am

"Ended up buying a Big Agnes copper spur two after going to buy the fly creek2. copper spur two is a freestanding tent so no need for pegs saving 100g "

In practice you still need to use pegs, as you do with any tent.
here is what they do in high (or not so high) winds :
however they can fly further than a non freestanding because they keep their structure allowing the wind inside.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joomy » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 9:59 am

That is a fantastic picture.
Joomy

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Franco » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 11:46 am

How about this one ?
this photo was taken just before the tent was blown off into the glacier below (just a Google image...)
you can see that there is still one guyline holding the tent but others were obviously in place so sometime even guying them out is not enough.
(regardless of the brand or shape ...)
Anyway the point is that in my humble opinion no one should go hiking without pegs for their tent unless of course relaying on guylines and rocks/trees or something like that.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Empty » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 1:36 pm

I am pleased you pointed that out. The concept of a free standing tent is a bit of a crock I reckon. Unless you peg all 4 corners (or unless you are in a vacuum) just the slightest puff of breeze turns it into a tumble weed.

Had that happen to my Copper SpurUL 2 in a crowded camp - most embarrassing.
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 3:28 pm

Franco wrote:"Ended up buying a Big Agnes copper spur two after going to buy the fly creek2. copper spur two is a freestanding tent so no need for pegs saving 100g "

In practice you still need to use pegs, as you do with any tent.
here is what they do in high (or not so high) winds :
however they can fly further than a non freestanding because they keep their structure allowing the wind inside.

Now that would spoil a good day out in the bush.

I remember a couple of mates that ski toured from Kiandra to Charlottes Pass one winter met up with
a group that had a free standinbg tent blow away never to be seen again up on the Main Range.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pulseevents » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 6:03 pm

mmmm I guess I must be the only one that will use whatever is around where I am to weigh it down..

cool pics though,
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby B3n » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:10 am

The Lightent 2 from Ferrino might be a good option. Minimum weight of around 1500g and a smallish pack size. Pick up a set of Ti pegs for even more joy ;)

Also, that Kelty further up^ looks cool.
B3n
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Adventure Friends

Return to Ultralight backpacking