Oxley Falls

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Oxley Falls

Postby Lones » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 9:04 pm

Evening all, could somebody please give me some basic info on walking to Oxley Falls? I've googled but haven't managed to find basic info - how long a walk, can you camp at or near the falls, is it safe to leave the car overnight....
Thanks, any info is appreciated :)
Lones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Oxley Falls

Postby MrWalker » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 6:05 pm

You start at the beginning of the Lees Paddock track. There are several parking areas close to the start, each with enough room for about 4 cars. I doubt if many yobbos wander past that area, so your car is fairly safe. Quite a few people stay at Lees paddock and explore from there so cars often stay for several days.

The track to the falls is a sidetrack (about 400m) off the Lees paddock walk and is not signposted. Look for extra tape and small cairns. Lewis Falls is first, around 2.6km along the track, then Oxley Falls about 3km. Both are worth a visit. The sidetracks are not easy to follow, even if you are lucky enough to find the start of the track. Our family went through a few weeks ago and we each saw only one of the sidetracks so none of us went to both falls.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lones » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 8:39 pm

Fantastic, thanks so much! :)
Lones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 04 Feb, 2015 3:30 pm

G'day, Lones.

One thing to watch - in some places, the 'Lees Paddock Track' is another name for the 'Venetian Blind Track', which goes from Lees Paddocks up to join the Arm River Track near Lake Ayr. But others think of it as the track from the Mersey Forest Rd to Lees Paddocks, which of course in the one you're after.

Here's a map from the following very useful site ( sorry re the double post of the map - i can't work out how to delete one of them)
http://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/app/list/map At 'Basemaps' at the top right of the page, select 'scanned maps' and zoom in.

lees paddocks.jpg
lees paddocks.jpg

As the map shows, Oxley Falls are only about 3kms pretty flat walking from the road. Is there a particular reason you'd like to camp there rather than doing it as a day walk, or on the way to camp at Lees Paddocks (which is well worth it if you want an easy overnighter)? I can't remember if there's appropriate places to camp near the falls as I've never been looking for that.

Been quite I while since I was there, but the sound of the waterfalls have always alerted us to start looking out for the side tracks.

Never had or heard of anyone having problems with leaving a car at the start of the walk. I've been in a few times. There were probably 7 cars there when I went past a few weeks ago. I don't have good directions for describing the carpark. Someone else here must have, though!

Cheers
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lones » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks Tortoise, appreciate it! :) We plan to do a proper long weekend at least in the Paddocks sometime soon, but this weekend we only have a small amount of time - were hoping to head off late arvo for short walk and overnight...
Lones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 10:19 pm

Lones wrote:We plan to do a proper long weekend at least in the Paddocks sometime soon, but this weekend we only have a small amount of time - were hoping to head off late arvo for short walk and overnight...

That'd be a reason.

Have a look on Google earth. I've grabbed a screen shot - i think Oxley Falls are at the bottom towards the left. What I can't remember is where a couple of clearings the track passes through are in relation to the falls. Maybe not too far away going by the pic below? There may be some other options for a different walk this weekend, depending on where you're coming from.

Have a good walk anyway. :)
Attachments
Oxley Falls.jpg
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 8:06 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Lones wrote:What I can't remember is where a couple of clearings the track passes through are in relation to the falls. Maybe not too far away going by the pic below?

You go through a clearing on the way to Oxley Falls and have to change direction a bit while going through the untracked clearing. Go half right as you cross it, not straight ahead.
MrWalker

Postby caedencekuepper » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 6:04 pm

We went looking for Oxley and Lewis Falls the other day, however we couldn't find the start of the walk. Looking on Google Maps and TheList, it looks like the road follows along near the river. We definitely drove past the turnoff to Walls of Jerusalem, but ended up just driving through the bush for ages without finding anything, and we were never very close to the river.
Are there any other roads or something?

Very confused. :/

We did check out Gads Falls and Arm Falls instead, though. Both were very nice, especially Arm. The track in to Gads was in a pretty bad state though.
caedencekuepper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 6:39 pm

caedencekuepper wrote:We went looking for Oxley and Lewis Falls the other day, however we couldn't find the start of the walk. Looking on Google Maps and TheList, it looks like the road follows along near the river. We definitely drove past the turnoff to Walls of Jerusalem, but ended up just driving through the bush for ages without finding anything, and we were never very close to the river.
Are there any other roads or something?

Very confused. :/

We did check out Gads Falls and Arm Falls instead, though. Both were very nice, especially Arm. The track in to Gads was in a pretty bad state though.

These Falls are on the Mersey just off the Lees Paddocks Track I can only think you were on the wrong road because the Mersey Forest Road terminates around 2km past the track on your right(did you get to a dead end?) that takes you down to the suspension bridge that takes you to Lees Track.
I suggest you get a copy of Tasmap 4236 Cathedral Map and have a good look at where you went wrong :) Chapmans Cradle Mountain Lake St Clair and WOJ NP fifth edition book would also help you in this area and with respect bone up on your Map reading skills :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby caedencekuepper » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 7:08 pm

Hmm yes, I have been looking on TheList maps, I can't see how we could have been on the wrong road, as we definitely passed the Walls of Jerusalem turnoff and followed the road signed as the Mersey Forest Road. Perhaps we missed the track or something? Are there any signposts? There was a 4WD track a few kilometres before the end of the road, could that have been it?

Sorry about all these questions, as you can see I'm pretty new to this.
caedencekuepper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 7:50 pm

caedencekuepper wrote:Hmm yes, I have been looking on TheList maps, I can't see how we could have been on the wrong road, as we definitely passed the Walls of Jerusalem turnoff and followed the road signed as the Mersey Forest Road. Perhaps we missed the track or something? Are there any signposts? There was a 4WD track a few kilometres before the end of the road, could that have been it?

Sorry about all these questions, as you can see I'm pretty new to this.

No problems in you asking did that 4WD track have a barrier across it ? it would have been on your right hand side and with some obvious parking areas? and there are no signposts ,as I mentioned previously around 2 km prior to the end of the road .
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby caedencekuepper » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 7:56 pm

I think it had a barrier, although I didn't think the actual track started as a 4WD track so I didn't look very hard. Seems that might be it though.

Next time! :)

Thanks for the help, anyway.
caedencekuepper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 8:46 pm

Now you know :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby waterfallman » Tue 05 Jan, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi to caedencekuepper.. Yes, the whole thing is a pain in the proverbial isn't it. But don't worry, you were on the right track!
I've been down there just recently, (jan 2015) and you are not going mad. Hang in there.
After you passed the sign for the dirt road up to the WOJ entrance, you would have veered to the right, and continued on down that very long and rocky bumpy potholed excuse for an access track that is annoyingly called a "Road"!
So.. 3.2k after Dublin road, just after the Fish River, there is a turnoff/sign to the WOJ Nat Pk. This track is called "Walls of Jerusalem Track". It leads up to Trappers hut.
And, a further 6.5k after this turnoff, there is ANOTHER turnoff to ANOTHER entrance to the WOJ Nat Pk. (Lake Myrtle Track).
And.. another 2.1k after this, is the "parking area" (Loosely called) for the track start to Lewis and Oxley Falls. There is room for about 10 cars to park roadside here. Sometimes you see horse floats here too, as the access track is also used as a bridal track. No, the horses don't cross the suspension bridge, they divert and cross on a shinglebank upstream. lol.
In any case, the track you saw goes steeply down, and through a timber gate/barrier which is usually open. It is painted bush green and is hard to see from the main road. Don't drive down here. you will be stuffed. You need a 4wd ute with balloon tires, high clearance and a low ratio diff. Just walk it. About 500m to the bridge.
Also, about 1.7k further on from here, is the end of the Mersey Forest "Road". It is a non-descript clear area/turning circle, unsigned and sometimes has a couple of cars locked up there, as their owners walk in the WOJ Nat Pk. This is via ANOTHER entrance! Which just happens to be leading off into the bush heading SSE from the turning circle. Again, UNSIGNPOSTED!! Dammit! This looks like an overgrown small vehicle track with two grassed wheel ruts.
I am starting a friendly email war with Parks over this. They know that the next time I go down there, I am going to strongly nail two triple laminated signs to the trees, in order to help avert troubles for newcomers. There is no point in having these wonderful natural features if no one can ever find them to look at them!
Directional uncertainty in the bush is intolerable, as the Emergency services well know, having been called out on average of 4 times per week since this july, to help rescue people. Now, some of this is due to their own inexperience, but it is also incumbent on those of us who are bush savvy, to help ease the way, for those who are interested in these things and only need a helping hand! We are not all "Great Explorers" etc. (rant over).
So.. hang in there.. Have another go. You were so so close.
Also, some 500m up the road (NE) from the timber gate, there is a small piece of blue tape hanging precariously from a bush. Head about 25m into the bush, west of this, and you will arrive at a high and dangerous cliff! Use great care here. Beware loose edges etc. But you will look down and see the West Rowallan Rapid, a long tumultuous cascade on the Mersey River, which is a rip snorter in high water! Bit average when dryish, but ok.
Cheers.. Take care and have fun!
waterfallman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Happily retired!

Postby caedencekuepper » Thu 07 Jan, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks Waterfallman, definitely will be going back sometime in the nearish future.
caedencekuepper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes