Walkon on the AAWT

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Walkon on the AAWT

Postby andrewbish » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:29 pm

Bushwalk.com stalwart Walkon is currently mid the AAWT and for the most part is having a ball. Here's some of the posts he's been sharing with our bushwalking group.

Section 1: Tharwa to Kiandra, Australian Alps Walking Track

Day 1: What a perfect day to start out few clouds, not too hot, magic. In the first few k's I passed several groups of schoolkids. When I told them where I was going they were all whooow and the questions were all sir this and sir that. By the second group I wasn't hanging around for the questions, just said I had to move on, and by the third group I just smiled and said g'day! I guess the leaders hope for someone doing a big trip, they said to the kids Hey guess what. Hey Andrew apparently my pack is pretty cool for 15 year olds :) so there. Pretty tough going as far as I did with a full pack and I was glad to get here at orroral river. Beautiful camp spot. Animal count. Echidna 1. Kangaroos a billion, not counting them. Wablies 10. Goannas 2.Eagles 3. No blisters. Started with 9 toenails, wonder how many I will finish with.

Day 2: Been an interesting day, good country through cotters gap area. Scenery changes from dry lowlands bush to alpine and you reach the gap. Little grassy glades lots of wildflowers, big *&%$#! rocks everywhere. Interesting changes in everything from scrub to insects. A bit of a rabbit fell out of tree and nearly hit me! Turns out an eagle was having a feed.There's a controlled burn nearby and all of a sudden a chopper circled me and landed. I thought the fire must have been coming my way, but they were stopping for lunch. Good blokes I was amused and learnt a bit more about all sorts of stuff. Funny what life throws at you.At the end of a big day, it wasn't supposed to be so big, but I reached camp, it was a *&%$#! of a camp, so walked up to Murrays Gap, steep, finally reached the top. Saw couple stick insects on way cute as purple wings. Currawongs chatting away. Ah the serenity. Body and feet feel better today despite the last climb. Tonights camp on the NSW/ACT border.

Day 3- 31.3 Stopped for lunch at Oldfields hut. Really good looking hut, rustic chaff bagged interior slab wooden walls big 3 roomer. Read history of hut and area, amazing what they put up with. I’m in the high plains now -big grassy expanse horse dung everywhere. I saw 55 brumbies. Met 2 hikers got track info which saved me carrying full water for 3 k’s. Arrived Bill Jones hut to a sea of school tents. Pleasant evening, jokes, tricks and good company. In bed at 8.40 late night for me.

Day 4-1.4
Lazy start to day drying tent. Should be called horse dung plains. So many feral horses, 37 or more on way to Hainsworth hut. Warm and sunny no one around. Bath time. 3*/#@ cold. Plains are massive, called long plains, another 33 brumbies. Untracked part of walk, Murrumbidgee res, prob should have concentrated more on navigating but got here easy enough. Pretty rolling grass plains just go on and on. I do feel lucky to enjoy the country. Nearly fell in the Murrumbidgee river crossing it on tired legs. Pushing on to get a day ahead as there is rain forecast.
Last edited by andrewbish on Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Walkon on the AAWT

Postby andrewbish » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:32 pm

Bushwalk.com stalwart Walkon is currently mid the AAWT and for the most part is having a ball. Here's some of the posts he's been sharing with our bushwalking group.

Section 2: Kiandra-Thredbo, Australian Alps Walking Track

Day 5 – 2.4 First morning with a dry tent. Camped at Tantangara river on softest alpine grass last night. Up early to awesome sunrise, the day got better I decided to put in some k’s today to get a rest day when it rains next week. Nice walking through this country over the next hill always another beautiful plain surrounded by snowgums. Stopped counting at 10 brumbies, some real close. Lyrebirds, eagles....past the 100 k mark just after I started today. Got my food drop at kiandra and am in my first hut for the trip. Four mile hut slab timber walls covered in kerosene tins inside is so homely. Best hut yet. Saw my Jugungal today and got excited. Atm lying in bed with fire going all toasty listening to dingoes. Not a bad way to live.

Day 7- 4.4 Camped at Jugungal saddle. Climbed Jugungal in pouring rain, clouds, loved it. Had to bush bash to get here which made it special. On way down clouds cleared and view was magic, high on life after that. Been in bed last hour warming up and having tea. Tent dry when I got back, very happy I bought my new shell jacket and pack liner still dry after heavy rain. Thurs and Fri did over 70 k’s. Last night got into Mackay’s hut on dark, still felt I could do more. Met a nice couple in hut with a fire going -bonus. Legs are hard as rocks but still got a tummy and love handles! Wherever I end up tomorrow I will have an RDO at this stage.

Day 10- 7.4 Staying another night at Seamans hut. The big snows didn’t come, but it did snow today and supposedly snowing tonight, though not as much, should be pretty in the morning. On my RDO today I walked up to Mt Kosciuszko, it was clear this morning, can’t believe how many people come do that walk. Even when it was damn cold some parents pushing their hypothermic poorly dressed children to keep going. I lit the fire in the hut and I had a lot of friends drop by all shivering.
Last edited by andrewbish on Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrewbish

Postby andrewbish » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:35 pm

Section 3: Thredbo- Omeo Hwy(Mt Wills) Australian Alps Walking Track

Day 12-9.4 With not many k’s I thought it would be a real quick trip to Thredbo, but all the metal grids from Kozi were frozen over which made it a slow walk. Walked in snow beside them so I didn’t break my neck. At 9.30 I had a big spiced chai soy latte, banana bread mmmmmm. Hotel and shower good, but not as good as the chai. Got clothes washed, they smelt after walking for a few days in wet gear. Lunch smoked salmon mmmmmm. Nirvana. In the afternoon- sorted food drop, supermarket, fresh salad, batteries, kitkat and snickers, cucumbers. Tea was going to cost a fortune so I settled for a pizza instead and loved it.

Day 13-10.4 From Thredbo pleasant walk to cascade hut which I found amusing. Pushed on to Tin Mine hut where I met lovely retired couple and had tea by a fire.
Day 14- 11.4 Saturday was off to Cowombat flat and a big milestone…Victoria. Yay. Very pretty area had a good look at crashed aircraft remains, met more people. I thought I would see no one for 9 days. Sat back and chilled.

Day 15 12.4 Found the border marker which was easy enough. Didn’t find the official start of the Murray River, had fun trying, found many springs that were good enough to be called to the start, but they weren’t THE one. Arrived at the Cobberas. I wish I did the border thing yesterday, very heavy bush bash up on the North and I spent too much time rock scrambling with/without the pack. What fun, then the mist kept coming and going, making everything wet and no vis to see the way. In short I came off the range as I wasn’t going to make it to camp in daylight. The idea of soloing a rock scramble off track in fog by torchlight didn’t appeal. I climbed some peaks that were great but I will be back! Very tired.

Day 16- 13.4 Today is my first down day for the trip. Over reached yesterday, now glad I didn’t push through on to rest of Cobberas. Started walking today, but thighs sore as from pushing through scrub. Only did 10 kms today. Lime stone creek atm. Ankle deep, so I’m not sure where they reckon you can swim. Last night got down to -4, washing on the bushes was stiff and tent was frozen. Leftover coffee in my mug frozen over. Enough sooking and whinging.

Day 17-14.4
I’m on top of Davies Plain ridge. Heading toward Mt Murphy mine. Was a bit down yesterday, disappointed I couldn’t get to all the Cobberas. Thighs were really killing me. Better day today, even though I’ve had a branch fall on my head and stung by about 10 bees. Thighs are getting better.
Last edited by andrewbish on Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewbish

Postby andrewbish » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:37 pm

Bushwalk.com stalwart Walkon is currently mid the AAWT and for the most part is having a ball. Here's some of the posts he's been sharing with our bushwalking group:

Some bogan has ripped up the new plastic posts with the AAWT arrow on them and put them in a ditch so that they can drive over it on the Buenba Creek, near the gate at the 354.6km mark Chapmans book page 140.
andrewbish

Postby Travis22 » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks Andrew,

Glad to hear Walkon is having a great trip thus far. When you can id love to read any future updates as his trip progresses.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby neilmny » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 10:17 am

I second that motion. Thanks Andrew.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Suz » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 8:26 am

I third it.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Travis22 » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 3:10 pm

Any more updates Andrew?

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Snowzone » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 8:32 pm

Travis22 wrote:Any more updates Andrew?

Travis.
Hi Travis, Walkon has his wife walking with him this week so all has been quiet on the update front. :wink: He's more than likely been trying to keep warm.
Snowzone

Postby andrewbish » Sun 26 Apr, 2015 7:55 pm

Section 4: Omeo Hwy (Mt Wills)- Hotham

Day 21-23 Well what a trip. I finally got to see my lovely wife after 21 days i think and she was bearing gifts of food! Some fresh food to boot. Oh yeah some others were there as well. On the climb up to Mt Wills it started snowing and it was beautiful with lots of smiles all round. Up to this stage i haven't missed a turnoff but when your attention is on a conversation i stuffed up and we saw a but of track that we wouldn't have otherwise :). Camped at Big River saddle and whilst it was a very windy night the site was reasonably sheltered. Headed up Big spur the next day with the occasional shower of snow or rain, very cool day with the wind picking up as up went up. My sore leg was traveling well until i drove it into a broken branch which was a bit of a bugger. Made camp between Madison hut ruins and Cleve Cole in the most sheltered spot i could find and after a rest we went for a play down to Howman Falls. A lot of fun was had and in hardcore fashion we climbed on, in & over them.

Day 24 - Tues 21/4 Part 1. After a snowy night we headed off to Summit Bogong & going past a white Cleve Cole hut rising above Tadgel point wind dramatically picked up in intensity & chill factor. The group was well equipped for this & was traveling well until we got to Hell pass. Here the wind started pushing us around making walking harder and it was nice to get past it. From the top of staircase spur ascending towards the summit the wind noticeably picked up. The winds now were gusting well over 100kph knocking some of the team over and even though we were so close to the peak i pulled the pin. Some relieved faces greeted the news, so close, yet it was the right decision. Two weeks before on the main range i walked in 107kph winds and these were stronger pushing me around alot more even though i had a walking pole for support.

Tuesday part 2. Have to say i was on a high dealing with the conditions in a magic location and i thought life couldn't get any better than this. Then on the way back down the clouds parted gifting up a view of Mt Bogong, with sunlight highlighting the summit cairn & the ice on it lighting up like a Beacon from high above. Everyone was in awe at this religious type expedience screaming & yelling out their elation to each other over the noise of the high winds. This by far has been the highlight of my trip so far and fills me with joy just writing/thinking about it now.

Tuesday part 3 after crossing Big River and climbing up onto the Bogong Plains again the group split. One lot supposedly running around summiting peaks, couldn't see much running, but heard lots of laughing and giggling eventually we all ended up at Edmondson hut where we were met by Shep United high school. They were nice enough to have a fire going and make heaps of room for us before leaving the hut altogether. We thought the hut was toasty warm only to discover that it was 5 degrees. Well it was cold outside.

Day 25 - Wed 22/4 Bit rainy this morning and the group eventually split again as the day went on with the giggling squealing summiters off bagging all that came by. I was a bit envious of this as i was trying to be nice to my leg and ease off a few extras. The Bogong Plains are very nice and throughout the day the clouds lifted showing us the views. It's a small world at times, when i was doing my food drops i came across a Healsville High group and imagine my surprise when i passed the same school teacher this time with another grade. After a catch up we went on to Dibbins hut where at a lower elevation it was much warmer.

Day 26 - 23/4 Hotham day. That means a cuppa out of real ceramic cups and food food food Oh yeah a shower as well but guess where my priorities lie. I know that I've lost a fair amount of weight despite eating well but i was surprised when i saw myself in front of a mirror. I have to wear a belt with my shorts and over pants now, my thermals are a tad loose luckily my jocks still stay up :). I've also had to get a smaller waist belt for my aarn pack as it was at the limit for tightening up. The good news about that is i have to eat up while I'm at Hotham so for lunch i had a large pizza and chips. Gotta say i was certainly full and probably could have missed out on tea, but i didn't!!!!! I'm resting my leg here for a couple of days and it has nothing to do with watching my beloved pies play on Anzac day, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Snowed heaps this morning and i genuinely wish i was out walking in it instead of at a resort. This thought from a warm room drinking a chai latte :)
andrewbish

Walkon on the AAWT

Postby andrewbish » Sun 26 Apr, 2015 7:59 pm

Section 5: Hotham- Rumpff Saddle, AAWT

Day 29 - Sun 26/4 - Clouds lifted today which was something different and from hotham it was a bit of a road bash until The Twins, on top outstanding 360 views and i got to see the Viking, mt spec, crosscut saw, Macalister Springs area for the first time on the walk which lifted my spirits immensely. I got a real buzz from that as it's my favorite area. Also could see King Billies i feel so close now. Just looked and there's only 216km to go fancy that! Arrived at my camp at the same time as some 4wds came through. Had a yack for a bit and the reaction when i told them i had walked 450km was a pisser. Obviously they aren't Walkers. Generous blokes asked if i needed anything and i scored some water, which saved me a 2k walk, they were surprised that was all i wanted but i just said I'm easy to please :)

Day 30 - Mon 27/4. Whahooee i changed my strapping and have had the first pain freeish day walking in 1.5 weeks and it was a sunny wind free day to boot Ohhhh the joy of walking has come back. I hope it lasts. Had some off track work today :) and loved it. Lunched on top of mt selwyn looking at the viking circuit much closer than before with a grin a mile wide because of all the above. Log hopped up sth selwyn which was fun walked about 100m from one log to another there was that much timber laying around far easier than climbing over them and the top there is seriously good looking sad to go on. Parks vic warned my wife when she chatted to them on bogong Plains that selwyn + barrys were log strewn, they have pretty much been right so far and I've got half the barrys to go. Walked through a burned off area this arvo and some parts were heavy going clambering over/under fallen logs, where i was going to camp was burned off as well so i didn't stay there as i was worried about more trees coming down. Camped beside the road as it got too late to go on, no burnt forest around me here. Only 6k till i get to The Viking sooo excited
Last edited by andrewbish on Tue 28 Apr, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
andrewbish

Postby Suz » Mon 27 Apr, 2015 7:21 pm

I love reading these instalments. I had been wondering how he'd been going during the terrible storms last week. Seemed to rather enjoy it…I thought we might be hearing that he had to get off the trail!
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Snowzone » Mon 27 Apr, 2015 9:40 pm

Suz wrote:I love reading these instalments. I had been wondering how he'd been going during the terrible storms last week. Seemed to rather enjoy it…I thought we might be hearing that he had to get off the trail!

Nah, he can be pretty soft at times, (likes his jelly babies etc.) but on the whole he's Hardcore!
Snowzone

Postby andrewbish » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 8:30 am

I've added the day 29 instalment in the last update, above.
andrewbish

Postby Travis22 » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks again Andrew for putting these up for us to read!

(I think you meant day 30, the previous update was 29).

Travis.
Travis22

Postby andrewbish » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 1:33 pm

Travis22 wrote:(I think you meant day 30, the previous update was 29).
Travis.

Indeed I did. Corrected now.
andrewbish

Postby andrewbish » Fri 01 May, 2015 6:54 pm

Section 5: Hotham- Rumpff Saddle, AAWT (continued)

28th part 1 Today was the stuff of dreams for me. I've been waiting to get onto the Viking circuit section of the walk for a long time & I'm finally here. The walk to get up from the back of Viking can only be described as grueling. At times it was damn steep, other times #/@^en steep, toss in loose footing & it was a cracking climb with good views on the way. Toughest day yet. On summiting, clear sky's, warm, no wind & well I'm surprised you didn't hear me living it up. I kicked back had lunch dried out some gear & just soaked it all up The walk has had kick *&%$#! views on this leg so far. Had bush tea this morning The water tank at barry saddle is very tannin stained - looked bad, tasted good.

28th part 2 Arrived late at mt spec the same time as a timbertop crew. The school kids' question time was the usual - don't you get lonely?, if i get scared and what do you eat? The boys usually worry about food whilst the girls lonely/scared/how do you keep clean and wash? One thing I say to them is that I'm not lonely. I'm by myself You feel lonely in a crowd of people at times, don't you, so it doesn't matter where you are really. This all-girls group was no different. I like the school kids' responses because they are an ego boost, like I'm doing something heroic :)

29th Yesterday was a big day & it was physically hard to finish at mt Spec, had to push myself to get there but i wanted a mt Spec dawn photo & it was even better than i had hoped for, with the wonnangatta fogged in, looking like a lake going right around the back of The Viking & flowing over the Barrys like a waterfall. Then the colours lit up the clear sky, with the morning light shining on the crosscut - it was magnificent. I knew i was going to feel yesterday's effort today, though the reward was certainly worthwhile. If ever you get bored of a track, try doing it the other way. I mainly do the Viking circuit clockwise & it puts a new spin on it going the other way for sure. Had lunch parked up on top of the Crosscut, posting pics in the warm sun. Hope you like them as the sun was too bright to see the screen properly for the best ones. Oh, the hassles of a sunny day -not that I'm complaining mind you
andrewbish

Postby GBW » Sat 02 May, 2015 10:00 am

Enjoying the updates Andrew. Any pics that you can post here?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewbish » Sat 02 May, 2015 7:57 pm

Section 6 - Rumpff Saddle-Walhalla AAWT

I have done over 500 kms now and the physical changes to my body are showing. The legs are leaner and I’m sporting some ripper calves, but it’s my arms and chest that have surprised me. I have lost so much bulk from them. The repetitive action walking with poles has taken away size and they are lean as well. Apparently I “look” like a real hiker now (wife’s comment) lol. Yeah the tummy has reduced a bit and so have the love handles. Yay. The other AAWT walkers have lost a lot of weight too and like me, are eating well. Perhaps when I reach Walhalla I should turn around and go back and get the rig really tuned up

Food on the trip:

Breakfasts: -muesli -rolled oats plain -rolled oats, cinnamon and dehydrated apple -rolled oats with jarrah sachet asstd flavours
Lunches: -wraps with fillings i.e. boiled egg (when I can get it, early on the trail), parmesan cheese, dehydrated hommus, salmon or tuna sachet, fresh vegies if poss -muesli bar

Dinner/Tea: -dehydrated vegies and sachet of sauce (various flavours) with dehydrated cooked rice or dehydrated rice and coconut milk powder or dehydrated potato or rice noodles-dehydrated spaghetti bolognaise with angelhair pasta and powdered parmesan (nirvana!)-dehydrated chilli con carne and dehydrated potato, rice or pasta(very good)- cous cous is easy nice and cheap too- I add dehydrated peas and mushrooms to tea sometimes to add volume and taste.

Desserts: I only have dessert every second or third day-dehydrated fruit and instant powdered quick custard -backcountry apple crumble (backcountry apricot crumble not as good) for a special treat -chocolate bar sometimes

Track food: -scroggin mix of nuts and dehydrated fruit, no lollies I’m afraid- muesli bars, cheapest have been the lightest and best for me, with highest calories
andrewbish

Postby andrewbish » Mon 04 May, 2015 10:11 pm

Some pics from the journey:

Section 1: Tharwa to Kiandra, Australian Alps Walking Track

[One image removed by moderator as requested]

Section 1-2.jpeg
Section 1-2.jpeg (186.92 KiB) Viewed 34990 times

Section 1-3.jpeg
Section 1-3.jpeg (179.14 KiB) Viewed 34990 times

Section 2: Kiandra-Thredbo, Australian Alps Walking Track

Section 2-1-mackays hut.jpeg
Section 2-1-mackays hut.jpeg (187.68 KiB) Viewed 34990 times

Section 2-2.jpeg
Section 2-2.jpeg (182.22 KiB) Viewed 34990 times

Section 2-3-rawsons pass loos.jpeg
Section 2-3-rawsons pass loos.jpeg (190 KiB) Viewed 34990 times

Section 2-4-mt northcote.jpeg
Section 2-4-mt northcote.jpeg (192.26 KiB) Viewed 34990 times

Section 2-5-seamans hut.jpeg
Section 2-5-seamans hut.jpeg (179.08 KiB) Viewed 34990 times
andrewbish

Postby andrewbish » Mon 04 May, 2015 10:16 pm

More pics from Walkon's journey on the AAWT:

Section 3: Thredbo- Omeo Hwy(Mt Wills) Australian Alps Walking Track

Section3-1.jpeg
Section3-1.jpeg (197.47 KiB) Viewed 35003 times

Section3-2-cobberas dawn.jpeg
Section3-2-cobberas dawn.jpeg (135.23 KiB) Viewed 35003 times

Section3-3-food maybe.jpeg
Section3-3-food maybe.jpeg (191.16 KiB) Viewed 35003 times

Section3-4.jpeg
Section3-4.jpeg (206.78 KiB) Viewed 35003 times

Section 4: Omeo Hwy (Mt Wills)- Hotham Australian Alps Walking Track

section4-1.jpeg
section4-1.jpeg (185.23 KiB) Viewed 35003 times

section4-2-howmanfalls.jpeg
section4-2-howmanfalls.jpeg (227.55 KiB) Viewed 35003 times

section4-3.jpeg
section4-3.jpeg (184.28 KiB) Viewed 35003 times

section4-4.jpeg
section4-4.jpeg (208.8 KiB) Viewed 35003 times
andrewbish

Postby Travis22 » Wed 06 May, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks for the updates Andrew.

Love the photos, also great to put a face to a name.

Is Walkon still on track to finish the AAWT this Saturday?

Travis.
Travis22

Postby andrewbish » Wed 06 May, 2015 8:19 pm

Travis22 wrote:
Is Walkon still on track to finish the AAWT this Saturday?

Travis.

Yes, he is.
andrewbish

Postby andrewbish » Wed 06 May, 2015 8:37 pm

Section 6 Rumpff Saddle-Walhalla - Australian Alps Walking Track (continued)

Day 35 - Sat May 2nd- Bit short of water this morning. As I walked out to find the spring the clouds rolled in. Bush bashing my way around, across, down, back up, further down and nothing. Tried to look for the tea tree but that's hard when you can see is 6m. So I was thirsty as all get up as I climbed 300m back up. Then the clouds lifted and there was a big stand of tea tree and water 20 m up the hill. Finally got back to camp 1hr40 mins later (water was 400m away) Thankful at least I found water. Then I was packing up and the gas canister decided to stick open. Tried a few things to stop it, but ended up having to leave the burner attached. Mmmm the day is not starting off great. Mt McDonald was a bit of a pain today and can't say I enjoyed it much. It's not often that I tell a mountain to go erode itself. I will be back to give it a second chance at a later date though. Had fun getting another lot of water later in the day. Involved a rock scramble up a gully with two bottles in my pockets and one in my mouth. Memo don't just follow other's paths. Walked onto Mt McKinty on dark. OK, so it was dark. Trying to push through to meet my wife for a food drop. Big winds are forecast and I don't want a fallen tree to stop my food delivery! Then I would be pissed. Got to say the Mt Sunday track is a doozy for 4WD's. Car parts all over the place.

Day 36 - Sun May 3rd- Started early. Saw some massive deer and then the day was very ho hum until I got to the Jamieson Licola road. I got stuck behind some cattle being rounded up so I stopped for lunch. I had a bunch of 4WD's passme, with one stopping and wondering what I was doing. I scored a Snickers and a lemonade. Bonus! Then I had a copper pull me over. Handed over all my details to police. He was a good bloke and said "at least when you go missing I can say where you were last seen alive!" (NSW Police said same thing). This bloke had seen lots of hikers over the years and also rescued some in his time. He questioned me about my gear and was satisfied it was up to scratch. I must be getting fitter, I decided to push on past the 25km mark so I would definitely meet my wife on time. Did another 5km up 700m to Black River. Had a real close look at fungi today from a lying down position today.....after I went *&%$#! over.

Day 37 - Mon May 4th- met up with Jodie for a food drop and supplies at the base of Mt Victor. My dogs came to say hello and got a pie, pastie, fresh chicken sandwiches and home made chocolate mousse
andrewbish

Postby walkon » Mon 11 May, 2015 8:29 am

Hi guys, this is it through to the finish. Got to say that I was surprised when I heard that it was put up here. Andrew knows me well so no issues there though I did wrack my brains trying to recall anything really embarrassing. Will put up some pics soon.

May 4th- Jodie had food… lots of it...I ate lots, heaps actually, a pie, pastie, 1.5 sandwiches, fruit, cucumber, chocolate mouse and soft drink, bit piggish to have the soft drink as well but... :) I thought this afternoon is all downhill and I didn’t want to upset the boss. Hadn’t had a stitch so far but for some reason I had two after lunch, wonder why?! Had a hot chocolate drink for tea, nothing else. Not long after I lit the fire I had some guests drop in. Two on motorbikes and three walkers. All arrived at the same time from different directions. They all knew each other and had arranged to meet here, talk about timing. Good people. Haven’t laughed so hard in ages. The wind got right up late that night and a branch went through one of the guys tarp tent ripping it right open and missing the sleeping mat by a foot. Then it started raining so Marci ended up in my tent as there was no room in the others. Lucky we are going in the same direction so it looks like I will have company for two nights.

May 5th-after a big night started late and checked out Red Jacket. Cute little cemetery and a chimney. Headed off in drizzle, went up a big slippery steep hill and the wind got cranking. For about 6km the nerves were on edge. The noise was incredible and the sound of falling trees real calming! Coming up to edge of a forest coupe a couple of trees fell across the track mmmmm. We waited against a bank and when the wind backed off went like the clappers. Got a pic of the two Eastons though I didn’t muck around and straight down the Easton ridge. Bit disappointed as the last time I was there it was a nice track and now it’s a fire break. Arrived at Thompson river and decided to set up camp as the wind is still high up top. Turns out this place should be called leechville. Last night with my guest tonight, by the time Marci arrived at camp the tent was set up, me in sleeping bag with a hot cuppa.

May 6th-Said goodbye to visitors early and pushed on. Was glad to get on a bush track up near Stronachs until it was over and under logs that really slowed me down. The wind got right up. In the tall mountain ash forests it is really noisy and when a big one falls it is so quick. More branches coming down than anything. Nerves, what nerves, I was too scared to be nervous. Luckily as you rise the trees get lower and less noisy compared. Finished nearly 30 kms just past 4. As I was about to set up campsite some branches speared into the ground where the tent was going f#@$so I shot out onto the plains and found a spot. Very windy here, forecast 70kph, but the tent is good for it. Snow, rain and wind atm. I don’t think I am going to get much sleep

May 7th- day 39-Last night lived up to expectation. The tent was handling it well so I was confident. Though fresh batteries had been changed into the gps, headtorch, phone and everything else bagged up. With earplugs in the noise wasn’t too bad, but the tent shaking in the wind kept waking me. Tent all iced up this morn and pond beside me was a slurry of ice. Forgot to bag my boots, they were in the vestibule, but had ice all over them and inside- buggar! I came down the mountain and met another school group and some other people. Given up on solitude- I have had 5 lone days on the whole walk. Coming off the mountain it really warms up as you get lower. I’m off the mountain atm and glad cause I can hear the wind up high.

May 8th- Wow the walk is nearly over. It's sad in a way that now another day is all that's left. The last few days there have been people congratulating me, even a number of photos and some kids wanting autographs lol :) which has been humbling seeing strangers really excited for me. 13 kms to savour of what's been a damn fine journey. Walkon

9th May. The last few kms were the easiest for the trip & I couldn't decide if it was excitement or sadness that I was finishing. I ran through the entire walk in my mind with the clarity of the memories surprisingly clear. Before I reached the end I sat for a bit, just thought about the walk not from the experiences but of what I had accomplished. Then delaying no longer rose up and strode out those last few steps. Rounding a bend i meet my wife and children with lots of hugs, kisses and tears, not all of them theirs. Hearing cheers coming from down at the Brass Band Rotunda, family and friends were rousing me to finish my adventure. After wading through more hugs and tears I took those last steps up to the finish. I couldn't believe it had ended or so many had turned out to welcome me home, still don't know what to think of either really. When I took the pack off everyone was surprised at how much weight I had lost. After that the only thing left for me to do was to deliver a post card from the girls at the Namadgi Visitors Centre to the Walhalla general store, scored a free cuppa for that then celebrated a bbq with the welcoming mob. Good day though a tad surreal. Still haven't come to grips with it yet.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 11 May, 2015 8:51 am

Your reports have been very interesting and readable. Many thanks. The falling timber sounds scary. You said "It's sad in a way that now another day is all that's left." On all my long trips I've felt the same: I want the trip to continue but want the comforts of home. The trip will sink in eventually. On trips where I lose weight it finds me in a month or so.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby cajun » Mon 11 May, 2015 9:18 am

Bravo Walkon - bravo!
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby walkon » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:19 pm

Snowzone wrote:
Travis22 wrote:Any more updates Andrew?

Travis.
Hi Travis, Walkon has his wife walking with him this week so all has been quiet on the update front. :wink: He's more than likely been trying to keep warm.

Usually I text my lovely wife the updates and she forwarded them on to the groups website. Though on The Bogong Plains where I had good reception it was high winds and snow at the time so I wasn't sitting around posting.

Snowzone, my wife was zipped up in HER sleeping bag keeping warm and there was no prying her out of it when we stopped for camp :lol: , said she doesn't understand how I don't mind the cold.

Suz wrote:I love reading these instalments. I had been wondering how he'd been going during the terrible storms last week. Seemed to rather enjoy it…I thought we might be hearing that he had to get off the trail!

:D I did enjoy it! Its a load of fun immersing yourself in the power of mother nature especially when you know from experience that both you and your gear are up to it. Still got to be careful all the same but...
Last edited by walkon on Mon 11 May, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby GBW » Mon 11 May, 2015 3:46 pm

walkon wrote: my wife was zipped up in HER sleeping bag keeping warm and there was no prying her out of it when we stopped for camp :lol: , said she doesn't understand how I don't mind the cold.

That sounds very familiar.

Great achievement walkon.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 11 May, 2015 8:52 pm

Well done Walkon, looking forward to some more pictures.
So this trip is why you needed to change up from the F10 Helium :lol: :wink:
Neil.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to AAWT