Day trip to Mount Bogong - May 17th

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Day trip to Mount Bogong - May 17th

Postby Travis22 » Tue 19 May, 2015 1:28 pm

With perfect weather forecast over the weekend, a group of friends were heading up to Mount Bogong.

Despite finding out about the hike with less then 24hrs notice my lovely wife gave me the all clear and with that i started packing. (With 2 kids 'under 2' impromptu adventures like this have been a thing of the passed until now!)

I arrived in Tawonga around 11pm Saturday night and tried to get some sleep. In the morning we would set out from the bottom carpark and hike around to and up Eskdale Spur to the Mount Bogong summit and then come down via the Staircase Spur (and then drive home!)

The weather was perfect and rising up above the treeline on Eskdale Spur the first magnificent views streached out and beyond the snow covered Main Range!

As we climbed higher we were excited to see there was still some snow atop Mount Bogong too. After a few quick photographs at the summit we started making our way down the Staircase Spur and pulled up in a nice little spot for a late lunch.

Coming down the staircase my legs gave out and i really struggled. It seemed so much more difficult from my memories from a previous trip in my younger days! My calfs wanted to explode and without my hiking poles i think i might still be up there right now!

Arriving back at the cars we said our goodbyes and with that i was driving home and at 11:30pm i was unloading the car and having a well earned hot shower.

Travis.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Day trip to Mount Bogong - May 17th

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 19 May, 2015 1:39 pm

Thanks for the report Travis - nice photos too.

Very usefull as soon I hope to have more time for weekend trips and was thinking about doing something around Mt Bogong. Was worried about the snow line but it looks quite minimal....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Travis22 » Tue 19 May, 2015 1:49 pm

Thanks for the kind words Erich.

Im far from an expert there but Bogong isnt to be taken lightly expecially in winter. Not knowing what snow was up there we all had Crampons in our packs a bit overkill given the weather since the last snow fall up there i didnt expect any to remain but it was still better to be safe then sorry etc.

The previous time id been up the Staircase, the snow was a fair way below Bivouac Hut. And it was over waste deep before even getting out of the tree line. If you do head out there with full snow cover you really need all of the gear. Skis/ splits etc. snow shoes, crampons, ice axe etc etc etc.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 19 May, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks for the advice. I don't have any real snow gear - so warning noted.

I crossed the Bluff once in full snow and never want to wade through such snow ever again....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes