Day walks from Daisy Lakes?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Day walks from Daisy Lakes?

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm planning to camp near Daisy Lakes in a few weeks time. I may have company as far as the lakes themselves, at which point the other guys will be fishing, and of somewhat less walking company. So I'd be doing two day walks (morning and afternoon) from there, coming back to have lunch with the other guys in between.

I was planning to just walk along Long Tarns, and maybe pick out a few other lakes (amongst the thousands nearby) that looked interesting. But I thought I'd ask here if there are any particular locations that people here think would be worthwhile visiting as an easy day walk from Daisy Lakes?

Otherwise, I'll just have a very cruisy wander around that area (I've never been to Daisy Lakes before).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Day walks from Daisy Lakes?

Postby RiverFly » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 9:46 am

I've done a little bit on that side of the plateau.I would'nt say there's many day walks from Daisy though, with the exception of Mersey Crag.
It would take about 1 hour or so of rough going to get down to Powena from Daisy, and then another hour or three to get up towards Mount Jerusalem. With that said, you'll find it's pretty much too wet to get across the various creeks and broadwaters, and there are bugger all campsites around Daisy, but plenty of places to break a leg amongst scrub-covered scree if there's snow around. Nutting has better spots to camp around, but again, the creeks etc will make it super difficult to move around. It's a wet part of the plateau up there.
I'd base yourself around the top end of Long Tarns instead (there's informal campsites on teh southern side already), and move around for your day walks from there, targeting the various crags of the western side of the tiers.
RiverFly

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 1:42 pm

If we have trouble with the camping prospects, I may end up dropping back to my usual camp site a little before Daisy Lakes (if it's not too wet there as well) but I'm sure we'll find something in the general vicinity, knowing what some areas nearby are like.

It's worth noting that I don't need to climb mountains - I'm quite content to wander around the lakes and tarns (of which there is no end up there). So perhaps a wander across to Mersey Crag and/or Turrana Heights, visitting some of the more interesting looking lakes and Tarns here and there. But if it ends up still being too wet, I might just be content with very lazy wandering around the general area without going too far at all.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RiverFly » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 3:35 pm

Which way are you going up?
RiverFly

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 4:24 pm

Current plan is: Trappers Hut, Golden Gate, Zion Vale, Lake Thor. Are there easier/shorter alternatives? I'm not familiar with other tracks into that area.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 4:32 pm

I've camped near the Daisy Lakes on various trips - and its a most beautiful and interesting area to wander around - especially with a camera. There are plenty of small campsites - and some are quite sheltered. There are pockets of scrub around - but they are not too hard to avoid if you are prepared to wander around a bit. To go from the Daisy Lakes to the Long Tarns is not too hard and the going is generally more open. Mersey Bluff is also a nice side trip.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 9:29 pm

Thanks Dave, that's reassuring.

Is the route I outlined above the easiest way to get there?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Wed 16 Sep, 2009 10:23 pm

I'm not sure what the easiest way to get to the Daisy Lakes would be - but the route I have used has been via the south east side of Lake Tyre - via Gate of the Chain or Jaffa Gate - down the valley to boggy areas - and then up open leads to Lake Tyre (a nice place) - then follow open slopes slightly north east to the south end of the Daisy Lakes. I think it may be scrubbier via Lake Thor - on the steeper slopes above the Lake (at least it looks that way from above). I think the southern route is generally more open - it suffered a lot in the bushfires of the 60's - and still has a lot of dead trees and open rocky areas. Around the Daisy Lakes is more pristine and very beautiful.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flyfisher » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 6:40 am

Nik, have you considered coming up from the Little Fisher river valley. It certainly looks a lot shorter on the map.

ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Robbo » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 7:07 am

flyfisher wrote:Nik, have you considered coming up from the Little Fisher river valley.

I'd second this. I walked to the plateau this way in January this year and found the walk through the beech forest and up to Long Tarns very picturesque and more interesting than the way you suggested in to the area.

TR
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 8:08 am

Thanks FF & Robbo.

Little Fisher River looks interesting. I can't see any track marked on my map along the Little Fisher River, although I recall Devon Annie having posted about walking that way to Turrana Bluff. Is it easy to find the start of the track from the road? It is an easy track/route to follow? How steep is it compared to the walk up to Trappers Hut?

I'm thinking of my walking companions for this trip who are not particularly keen walkers, but more interested in the fishing.

Thanks for all the tips so far everyone. It's great to get this variety of information.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robbo » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 8:14 am

Son of a Beach wrote:I can't see any track marked on my map along the Little Fisher River

Chapman gives a good description of the track. It is obvious all the way to Long Tarns. No steeper than Trappers, except for one little notch that has a rope to help you up - nothing too difficult. Similar elevation gain from car park to plateau. As I mentioned, I think it is more interesting and easier for that side of the plateau.

TR
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 8:19 am

Excellent... I've actually been wanting to walk this route anyhow, ever since seeing Devon Annie's photos. :-) I just didn't connect the dots between this route and Daisy Lakes (despite it having been suggested to me a few days ago) - Doh!

EDIT: It looks like there is (or was) a 4WD track that follows the Little Fisher River a fair way up the valley. Is that still open/navigable by car, or do you have to walk that track?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Robbo » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 8:45 am

The roads are closed a couple of ks from the falls, but it is good open walking and the falls should be great at the moment.

TR
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 6:39 pm

Yes Nik this would be the great way to go (I wish I had time to do a similar walk). It is a bit of a long drive into the carpark, when I went to Rinadena F I just took the old car, and followed the instructions I was given and had no trouble getting in or out. The walk as far as the falls is very easy going.

AccessDaisyLakes.jpg
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 7:47 pm

Nik, at the eastern end of long tarns Ritters track comes across the plain and up the bank heading wsw approx. towards the walls.
On a fishing trip a few years ago a mate and I came across it and also the cross in memory of William Nutting, which I think was placed there by Reg Dixon, at the spot where they found his body.The cross is not actually at Lake Nutting but a couple of k's to the east. Not too hard to find and it adds a little to the trip.

ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 8:23 pm

I continue to be amazed at the wealth of information available by asking questions here. Fantastic stuff guys. Thanks very much for all of this! I almost feel like I'm cheating, instead of figuring it all out for myself. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 19 Oct, 2009 7:15 pm

RiverFly wrote:I've done a little bit on that side of the plateau.I would'nt say there's many day walks from Daisy though, with the exception of Mersey Crag.
It would take about 1 hour or so of rough going to get down to Powena from Daisy, and then another hour or three to get up towards Mount Jerusalem. With that said, you'll find it's pretty much too wet to get across the various creeks and broadwaters, and there are bugger all campsites around Daisy, but plenty of places to break a leg amongst scrub-covered scree if there's snow around. Nutting has better spots to camp around, but again, the creeks etc will make it super difficult to move around. It's a wet part of the plateau up there.
I'd base yourself around the top end of Long Tarns instead (there's informal campsites on teh southern side already), and move around for your day walks from there, targeting the various crags of the western side of the tiers.

DaveNoble wrote:I've camped near the Daisy Lakes on various trips - and its a most beautiful and interesting area to wander around - especially with a camera. There are plenty of small campsites - and some are quite sheltered. There are pockets of scrub around - but they are not too hard to avoid if you are prepared to wander around a bit. To go from the Daisy Lakes to the Long Tarns is not too hard and the going is generally more open. Mersey Bluff is also a nice side trip.

Dave

Well, I've just returned from a trip to Daisy Lakes, Long Tarns, Pencil Pine Tarn and Lake Lexie. We walked up via the Little Fisher River and Rinadeena Falls. Having now completely circumnavigated the northern of the Daisy Lakes, as well as several lakes to the East of Long Tarns, I now know some parts of that area a lot better than I did last week.

Thanks to all for your replies, especially to those who pointed me to the Little Fisher River track, as well as for the two posts quoted above with their very different points of view regarding camping prospects at Daisy Lakes. I'll post details of my trip later (maybe tomorrow, if I have time).

Robbo wrote:Chapman gives a good description of the track. It is obvious all the way to Long Tarns. No steeper than Trappers, except for one little notch that has a rope to help you up - nothing too difficult. Similar elevation gain from car park to plateau. As I mentioned, I think it is more interesting and easier for that side of the plateau.

When I watched my mate pull himself up this section on the two ropes, and then looked at the quality and age of the ropes, I decided to give them a miss completely, and just used the rocks and trees. One day those ropes are going to break, and I'm not going to be holding them when they do! :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Oct, 2009 1:52 pm

In order to clear up some of the confusion from earlier replies about camping at Daisy Lakes, here are just a few of the camp sites I found at Daisy Lakes. As you can see the camp sites are not as tent-perfect as some locations, but they are certainly decent. The sites are also not as plentiful as some locations, but they are not hard to find. Some of the sites are a little rocky, so you'd need to be careful where you put your tent on those sites, but some are rockless with no such problems.

There were other sites that I didn't take photos of, and two in particular that I did photograph, but which I'm not planning on sharing in case you get there before I do next time! :-)

There are no sites (that I could find) in the north eastern area of the lake where the hillside is very steep. And sites were very limited on the Western side (although the forest there is prettier). But there were several sites on the Eastern side.

I didn't get time to check out the southern lake, so all of this information applies only to the Northern lake.
Attachments
IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
IMG_0073.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg (50.32 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg (55.59 KiB) Viewed 8652 times
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 6:41 am

Son of a Beach wrote:There were other sites that I didn't take photos of, and two in particular that I did photograph, but which I'm not planning on sharing in case you get there before I do next time! :-).

An option for the Forum Anniversary walk perhaps?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 6:46 pm

I didn't notice any sites with space for that many tents. :( Otherwise it would be a great spot for it.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania