The Bon Accord spur Sept. 5,6 2015

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

The Bon Accord spur Sept. 5,6 2015

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 08 Sep, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi
A friend and I went up the Bon Accord spur with the idea that we could get up there and cross the Razorback and camp at Fed. hut in one day. In snow .
The bridge at Washington creek has been rendered useless by a flood so we had to cross via a log( don't look down !) and then do a boots on river crossing. The water was flowing well because of the spring snow melt.
The Hike up the Bon Accord spur was a killer. It never ended and the last 2km ascended 460 M in elevation. We set off at 8.30 am and
It was past 4 pm when we reached the top of the Razorback. There was no way we were going to get close to Fed. hut. So I said let us snow camp next to the Diamantina hut and see what happens the next day. We were rogered ! That was tough .
It was sunny all day on Sat. and clear all night with some great views of the heavenly bodies. The snow was patchy and deep in some places on the Razorback and non existent in others so we did get to use the snow shoes and poles that we carted up on our packs from Harrietville.
After packing up early on Sunday a white out rolled in with cold winds and poor visibility and I said " I am not crossing the Razorback in these conditions !".Also in snow shoes it would have taken all day to get from The Diamantina hut to Federation hut and then slogging it down the Bungalow spur in the dark didn't appeal to me at all.
So we went back down the Bon Accord spur.
:-0
It was tough descending too.
Whoever built that track has good sense of humour . The views at the top of the Bon Accord spur were rather grand and dramatic I must say. There was nobody else dumb enough to try the Bon Accord spur that weekend. So it was not busy like the Bungalow spur often is.
It took us 5-6 hours descending :-0. So that was the last hike for 2015 with snow involved. I only have the Diamantina spur and the North Razorback track left in order to cover all routes up that way to Mt Feathertop and the Razorback.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Thu 10 Sep, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: The Bon Accord spur Sept. 5,6 2015

Postby north-north-west » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 8:58 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote: We set off at 8.30 am and it was past 4 pm when we reached the top of the Razorback.

You're making me feel a lot better about the time it took me to do it. I camped on High Knob and could easily have reached Molly Hills.
There was nobody else dumb enough to try the Bon Accord spur that weekend.

It gets very little use at any time of the year, but especially in winter. Pity, as it's a great walk. My favourite way up Feathertop.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 7:31 pm

The NW spur track is more overgrown than the Bon Accord track is but descending both of them is tough on the legs. I am still hobbling. I understand that in the days before the road to Mt Hotham was built the Bon Accord track was a pony track. I feel sorry for the horses!
I am heading back up there to cross the Razorback in snow in winter 2016. I will get it done somehow and some way, but I will allow two nights and start at Fed. hut next time.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 7:45 am

When I did the circuit the valley section of the track was a mess - lot of fallen trees etc. Once over the creek it was pretty good. Made the junction with the Razorback track at around 2:30. Very few people on the ridge and hardly any tracks. Different story once I hit the track from Fed Hut to the summit . . .
Attachments
b12352c.jpg
Track above the old hut site.
b12372c.jpg
Near the Razorback track junction
b12383c.jpg
Walking the Razorback in winter
HF010c.jpg
Camping on High Knob
HF017c.jpg
Good old Feathertop.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 4:36 pm

Wow, NNW, Oh man , You took some amazing photos and the weather seemed to be in your favour. I am going to try this circuit again next winter . I'll give it two nights and start from the Bungalow spur and Fed. hut on day one, head for the Diamantina hut on day two across the Razorback and then slog it down the Bon Accord spur on day three. Of course the weather can decide what happens up there in winter.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 7:09 am

I can recall going down Bon Accord after a 5 day circuit starting on NW spur to MUMC, Blairs, Dibbins, Derrick (to sit out a blizzard). We were buggered and swore never to do Bon Accord again. Your idea for next year is a much better. You can sit out bad weather at Fed hut and if need be can get back to Harrietville in a couple of hours. We have always wanted to the razorback in winter but have ended up elsewhere like the Crosscut for some reason. Your photos make me think it should be on the list for next year. I have read accounts also of the ski pioneers at Hotham and how they walked or pack horsed up and down Bon Accord and then took soft Melbourne tourists up it in winter to ski. Don't forget to call into Morrie's Ice Cream shop opposite the chain hire in Harrietville for the best food and home made ice cream anywhere close. Pete and Emma looked after us after that big 5 day walk and even gave me a lift back to the trout farm to pick up my car. We have been friends ever since.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 3:02 pm

Hey XPLORA
If you are keen we might consider joining forces next white season in 2016. Crossing The Razorback , the whole thing in snow is kind of a holy grail of winter trekking.
I will not rest until I get that crossed off my list.
As far as horrid downhill hikes go I swore I would never go near the NW spur again. I was hobbling for a week after descending Mt FT via that route in Dec. 2014.
The heat and the flies didn't help either. I don't get quite as hot and bothered trekking up that way in winter but carrying the extra snow and ice gear adds to the pack weight considerably
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kinsayder » Wed 23 Sep, 2015 12:32 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I only have the Diamantina spur and the North Razorback track left in order to cover all routes up that way to Mt Feathertop and the Razorback.

That's fantastic, PCV. I have a similar aim to have covered all routes up Feathertop (and join it all up to Bogong and all between). Next year will involve a night hike along the Razorback before joining up the section of the North Razorback that I've not done (I commenced it last year but had to turn back after getting gastro...I tried to keep going but repeatedly vomiting wasn't conducive to making summit). Anyway, my question is: are you including the East Ridge and the North East Spur?

Great report too, thank you, and glorious photographs, NNW!
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 24 Sep, 2015 7:10 pm

Champion spur, East Ridge and NE spur are routes up/down Mt. Feathertop/The razorback that are for masochists and heroes. I can hack a bit of scrub bashing and up and down hill exertion but I have a limit. They are not on my list.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kinsayder » Tue 29 Sep, 2015 4:04 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Champion spur, East Ridge and NE spur are routes up/down Mt. Feathertop/The razorback that are for masochists and heroes. I can hack a bit of scrub bashing and up and down hill exertion but I have a limit. They are not on my list.

Fair enough. I'm not quite ready for serious contemplation of them but I see them as needed for my own personal list. I absolutely agree with omitting them though, I would too if I wasn't a bit mad.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:00 pm

Some of my pic.s from the hike along the Bon Accord spur.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1135880762 ... Mn2mfP8sgE
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rsser » Sun 22 Nov, 2015 3:55 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote: I understand that in the days before the road to Mt Hotham was built the Bon Accord track was a pony track. I feel sorry for the horses!

Yeah, they supplied the Hotham Hospice that way. I gather that one horse at least was fitted with snow shoes for winter climbs!
Cheers,
Ern
rsser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rsser » Sun 22 Nov, 2015 3:57 pm

I did the BA spur once, going down after a visit to Fed hut and a walk back along the Razorback. That was when the tin hut was still standing. It was hot and the route as boring as batcrap I recall.
Cheers,
Ern
rsser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 22 Nov, 2015 8:30 pm

I would not want to walk the BA spur track in summer. That would be just unkind. Early Sept. was warm enough!
I thought it was wild , peaceful and remote and not like the conveyor belt that the Bungalow spur has become. The river crossing at Washington creek is now tougher because the bridge has been swept away by flooding. The 460 M. elevation gain in the last 2 kms with full winter packs with snow shoes strapped on was very steep and a real fitness test .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 7:09 pm

I have added more photos from the Bon Accord spur trek 5,6,/9/15.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1135880762 ... Mn2mfP8sgE
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 2:20 pm

Ahhh the days before I used snow for XC skiing. It was a different mind set :-).
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes