The next stage

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The next stage

Postby Old Fart » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:14 pm

From the advocate, wonder what your thought are about this? :D Seems like the top end of town is getting a good run from these developments, might be too much too soon but am interested to see what others think.

Four bushwalking projects enter final stage Oct. 27, 2015, midnight

FOUR bushwalking experiences pegged for Tasmanian World Heritage Areas have been given the green light and progressed to the final development stage.

FOUR bushwalking experiences pegged for Tasmanian World Heritage Areas have been given the green light and progressed to the final development stage, three of them in the Cradle Mountain area. Picture: Jason Hollister.
FOUR bushwalking experiences pegged for Tasmanian World Heritage Areas have been given the green light and progressed to the final development stage, three of them in the Cradle Mountain area. Picture: Jason Hollister.
The projects are all operated by the Tasmanian Walking Company, and will offer multi-day bushwalking experiences.

State Growth Minister Matthew Groom announced on Tuesday morning that, after recommendations from the expressions of interest assessment panel, the projects had proceeded to the lease and licence stage.

The projects are:

The Walls of Jerusalem Lodge Walk: a four-day guided hut and lodge-based bushwalk, which will create 19 casual and three full-time jobs;

The Cradle Base Camp Experience: an overnight guided lodge-based bushwalk that will create 34 casual and three full-time jobs;

The Frenchman’s Cap Walk: a four-day guided walk that will create 12 casual and three full-time jobs; and

The Overland Track Experience: a second guided hut-based bushwalk on the Overland Track to create 33 casual and three full time jobs.

The four projects passed the first stage of assessment for development in February.

The Tasmanian Walking Company already operates the Cradle Mountain Huts walk, the Bay of Fires Lodge walk, and the Wineglass Bay sail walk.
Old Fart
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: The next stage

Postby bumpingbill » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 1:59 pm

Here's the link to the original article http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/345 ... age/?cs=87
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Osik » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 3:30 pm

Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Hermione » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 4:43 pm

I have mixed feelings about this, I guess creating jobs is good. Though I notice that most of the jobs are casual. Probably all you Tasmanians are better qualified to comment constructively.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NickMonk » Tue 27 Oct, 2015 6:25 pm

This means a plethora of new, private huts in the WHA. Private huts at Frenchmans, Walls and more at Cradle. MORE. Ridiculous.
NickMonk
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Genesis » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 6:31 am

I am not for this, We all travel to this part of the world to enjoy the WHA in a natural state and although huts are already there and are a necessary thing there is such a thing as too much. I see these proposals as an act of desperation by a government desperate for extra income. While I agree that it will create employment I am always sceptical as to the figures they originally claim as these higher figures will help with getting the proposal approved.

I wonder how long it will be before all these experiences will be along the same lines as the 3 capes walk?

Genesis
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MrWalker » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 8:58 am

NickMonk wrote:This means a plethora of new, private huts in the WHA. Private huts at Frenchmans, Walls and more at Cradle. MORE. Ridiculous.

The private huts on the Overland Track are very well hidden from the main track. If they can do the same with these other huts then I am all for it. The number of people directly employed is probably less relevant than the number of extra visitors that might come to Tasmania over the course of a year. If they are visitors that think spending $500 for 3 nights in huts is OK, then this is great.
It doesn't stop me walking wherever I like.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 10:06 am

MrWalker wrote:If they are visitors that think spending $500 for 3 nights in huts is OK, then this is great.

And the rest :)
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 10:29 am

It's WHA not Forestry, the concept of hiding collateral damage just out of view is woeful and insidious.
If the OLT can take more people why not release more places to the public pool? Facilities not up to it? Pressure to protect & maintain that status quo?

These other areas mentioned all have existing operators! What are the constraints to growth? No governmental support! And now no support with an interest in enhancing (protecting) the operations of bigger players.. Ok, maximum return to the state? maybe, then we wouldn't know would we, how much is the public return from huts (the direct return not that envisaged from job numbers rhetoric.. numbers that would be met from a small resort somewhere (else))

Note the term 'new' jobs finally absent..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Old Fart » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 12:38 pm

In regards to the OLT was wondering how the new huts will affect the number of people they'll let start each day? :o And if in time they'll look at putting a booking system in for Frenchmans as well?
Old Fart
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 12:56 pm

Old Fart wrote:In regards to the OLT was wondering how the new huts will affect the number of people they'll let start each day? :o And if in time they'll look at putting a booking system in for Frenchmans as well?

These are private huts only. Nothing to do with the booking system.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mountain Rocket » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 1:06 pm

MrWalker wrote:It doesn't stop me walking wherever I like.

Except if you want to go out to Cape Pillar ...
Mountain Rocket

Postby tastrax » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 2:45 pm

Well I hope the developers have deep pockets and realise the true cost to build in these environments, maintain them and supply them annually. If they all come off there will be so many opportunities I suspect some will fail to get enough clients to make it profitable. There are only so many times folks will pay (top dollar) for these experiences.

Parks will probably only get $30 a client (if that!) which will go nowhere on track maintenance on all those tracks

http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn. ... 7127733742
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Azza » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 3:10 pm

I kind of thought the government is missing a few clues here.

How many times do you see a query on this forum regarding transportation and logistic issues?
We don't seem to service the current visitor crowd that well, transport to / from the walks is a big issue.
The public transport options are limited, my impression is that private options are often prohibitively expensive, and who wants to hire a car to sit in a carpark for a week?
This is something NZ does quite well with their shuttle services between towns and to/from the trail heads.

All the options put forward seem to just service a narrow section of the market - people who want a package tour..
There are plenty of independent walkers out there that don't want to be herded around on a fixed itinerary or expect the comfort of a hut.
But I think once someone piles a heap of cash into developing something they'll expect a return on their investment and that will naturally mean keeping out those who aren't paying customers. Wouldn't matter what is said now, once $$$ are involved we know what the outcome will be.

The current strategy seems to be targeting the perceived cashed up segment of the market and ignoring the other 80% where the financial benefits are a lot harder to measure.
Azza

Postby MrWalker » Wed 28 Oct, 2015 5:01 pm

Robert H wrote:

I haven't seen anything about the 'Three' Capes Walk that stops me walking to Cape Pillar. In fact the track upgrades will make it easier.
MrWalker

Postby Wherever I may roam » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 1:06 pm

Let's look at this for what it is - purely a business proposition by the Tasmanian Walking Company. There is nothing heritage about commercial huts.

It's debatable whether it does create new jobs as it is likely that the departure dates across Tasmanian Walking Company's suite of hikes are likely to be scheduled so that the same staff move between hikes. It's all about making a profit.

Watch out for the European style refuge to appear on the Western Arthurs next complete with champagne on arrival!
Wherever I may roam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ben.h » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 7:48 pm

MrWalker wrote:
Robert H wrote:

I haven't seen anything about the 'Three' Capes Walk that stops me walking to Cape Pillar. In fact the track upgrades will make it easier.

Camping though?
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 31 Oct, 2015 6:54 pm

'Lodges' in the Walls. Private huts at Frenchmans. More private huts on the OT. And no funds for upgrading the infrastructure that has to deal with this supposed influx of visitors . . .

Do all politicians have lobotomies before being installed, or is it only in Tasmania?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Nuts » Sun 01 Nov, 2015 4:14 pm

Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Graham17 » Mon 22 Apr, 2019 7:01 pm

Mt William NP.....Thought I was having a secluded swim at Ansons dunes till I saw the lodge looking down on me !
Graham17
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Mechanic-AL » Wed 24 Apr, 2019 1:44 pm

I dont think the words PRIVATE and WORLD HERITAGE even belong in the same sentence let alone on the same land together.
Im just wondering how much of a precedent Tasmania is setting here? Is it common to find privately owned infrastructure and businesses operating in previously undeveloped WHA's in other areas/countries ?
World Heritage should mean forever.........Private businesses come and go overnight.
Not a fan of the idea.
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Tasmania