Transport to Katoomba side of six foot track

Chatting about the Six Foot Track

Transport to Katoomba side of six foot track

Postby New User » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 2:12 pm

Hey all me and some mates are planning on doing the six foot track in about a months time

Firstly I was wondering about transport I don't have acces to car and, therefore, was wondering about public transport and if I need to book any companies etc. anything would be greatly appreciated :)

Next was wondering if anyone that has done it has any specific tips suggestions for things to bring etc.

Thanks,
William
New User
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Transport to Katoomba side of six foot track

Postby Krudler » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 12:27 pm

If you can get yourself to a train station then you won't have any issues. Train to Katoomba and walk to Jenolan.

Bus back to Katoomba through https://trolleytours.rezdy.com/37614/je ... olan-caves
Krudler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 6:32 am

Take something to purify the water. Don't drink from the streams or tanks without treating it first. There is no water along Black Range and do not rely on the water tank at the end. Fill up at Little river. Hot time of the year to walk it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby New User » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 3:56 pm

Xplora wrote:Take something to purify the water. Don't drink from the streams or tanks without treating it first. There is no water along Black Range and do not rely on the water tank at the end. Fill up at Little river. Hot time of the year to walk it.

Cheers for that mate there is seven of us we bought 100 tablets will make sure to fill up wherever possible, we are going this time of year because it's the only time we can get off ideally we would have gone In spring
New User
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby New User » Sun 13 Dec, 2015 3:57 pm

Krudler wrote:If you can get yourself to a train station then you won't have any issues. Train to Katoomba and walk to Jenolan.

Bus back to Katoomba through https://trolleytours.rezdy.com/37614/je ... olan-caves

Cheers much appreciated
New User
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 6:24 am

New User wrote:Cheers for that mate there is seven of us we bought 100 tablets will make sure to fill up wherever possible, we are going this time of year because it's the only time we can get off ideally we would have gone In spring

If you are using tablets then maybe something to add to the water like lemon juice or a bit of cordial to take away the taste although you may be used to that. If you are boiling the water for cooking then there is no need for tablets. Remember that tablets take about 2 hours to work so having a couple of water containers would be handy so you can rotate. Micropure forte from memory were not too bad. I can understand the timing and it is a good walk to get you started. Some challenging hills and a few good views. I have done it many times and also used it as an intro to bushwalking for people. Also have run it many times and even there and back once. Get an early start before the heat but I doubt you will be over Mini Mini saddle before the hotter part of the day. Also the mobile phone reception is getting better so if there is a group of you then a PLB would not be essential. Quicker for someone to get the top of a hill and call. Mostly black snakes around the Cox's but plenty of browns on the trails. Wear gaiters. It's also quicker to ditch the suspension bridge over the Cox's with a large group and either rock hop it underneath (if you can jump) or continue on the original track past the bridge and cross the river at the reserve. The bridge is a one at a time thing but does provide a good view and a pic. Be mindful there is a road to the reserve from Mini Mini and it is used frequently by trail bikes and 4wd's. Good luck with it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Six Foot Track