There must be more to breakfast than porridge...

Food topics, including recipes.

There must be more to breakfast than porridge...

Postby misselaineous2 » Wed 06 Jan, 2016 1:22 pm

while I know porridge ticks all the boxes for a nutritious, light weight, multiday breakfast solution, by day 2 I'm bored and day 3 I just can't stomach it anymore and instead I start hitting the chocolate stash before sun up. Needing breakfast ideas and inspiration to fill the belly and nourish the soul...
misselaineous2
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: There must be more to breakfast than porridge...

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 9:20 am

Eat bacon and eggs for day one, that delays the boredom but honestly I am never bored with breakfast if and when I eat it
Powdered eggs for scrambled works for me but you do need to add plenty of extra butter and a small tin of Plumrose ham or smoked tuna / shredded cheese added in as well makes for a substantial feed
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby gayet » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 9:38 am

muesli has a bit more variation and texture than porridge. If you have appropriate gear you could whip up some pancakes one day - when not looking to get an early start.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby warnesy » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 9:51 am

Day 1 hashbrowns and bacon, day 2 pancakes and maple syrup, after that it gets a bit boring with muesli and porridge.
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby misselaineous2 » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 12:15 pm

Thx all for the tips. Pancakes is s solid suggestion - might play around with the dehydrator and try and make a berry compote to go on top.
misselaineous2
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby RonK » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 2:11 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Powdered eggs for scrambled works for me but you do need to add plenty of extra butter and a small tin of Plumrose ham or smoked tuna / shredded cheese added in as well makes for a substantial feed

I've never managed to make palatable scrambled eggs from egg powder. What is the secret?
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby walkon » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 4:22 pm

Try putting chocolate sachets in the porridge, I also put in a tad of cinamon. I do the same with muesl and also put in coconut milk powder as well to mix up the flavour.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby oyster_07 » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 8:06 pm

Oats, with a dash of cinnamon and honey, with either powdered milk or (for a bit of luxury) UHT milk.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 3:48 am

Porridge is never on my breakfast list. It's horse food.

Cold cereal.
Toasted bread and nutella.
Ramen soup.
Cake.
Eggs and tortillas.
Pancakes (rarely).

RonK wrote:I've never managed to make palatable scrambled eggs from egg powder. What is the secret?

The type of egg powder. Most I've tried are insipid, but the last one I used was so good I think it would possible to fool people it was real egg. Unfortunately they had a batch that was contaminated with salmonella and that kind of put me off from using the stuff for a while.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 7:22 am

RonK wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:Powdered eggs for scrambled works for me but you do need to add plenty of extra butter and a small tin of Plumrose ham or smoked tuna / shredded cheese added in as well makes for a substantial feed

I've never managed to make palatable scrambled eggs from egg powder. What is the secret?

Lots of butter [ and/ or rich hydrated full cream milk]and don't forget to add salt and pepper. I mix salt and pepper 3 :1 before I leave, sometimes salt/ground black pepper and cayenne 4:1:1 by volume Packs a punch so you don't use as much
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 10:30 am

I also like bars for a quick cold breakfast. No cooking a no washing up. There are a wide variety you can buy (including muesli bars, etc). However, my preference is for my wife's home made "Honey Oat Bars". Man, I just can't get enough of those things. I don't have the recipe handy, but its something like: oats, butter, sultanas, honey. Pressed into a lamington tin and baked. Soooooooo good! Makes an amazing breakfast (or a great snack for any other time of day).

I usually have bacon and eggs (sometimes on an english muffin) for short walks. Also pancakes with lemon and sugar occasionally.

For longer walks, I have porridge at least every second day, and for every other day, I vary it with honey oat bars, some other cold cereal (with powdered milk), bacon and eggs, or pancakes.

When it comes to using breakfast bars, be very cautious and make sure you try them at home first. I once did a multi-day bushwalk with breakfast bars that I couldn't stand (rotated with various other breakfasts). My mate and I came to seriously dread the second and last day when it was time for more of the breakfast 'bricks' on that walk.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby photohiker » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 10:51 am

Muesli with plenty of dried fruit and nuts. I either add them or choose a brand that includes them. In the UK, I'm a fan of 'Dorset Muesli', it's really good. The other day I was shopping at Coles and amazingly, Dorset Muesli was on the shelf in several varieties. Not cheap though like it was in the UK...

I prepack my muesli into glad bags with dried milk powder. Just add water, roll down the sides of the bag and you're good to go. Only cleanup is my spoon and stash the empty bag in the pack.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 11:10 am

Son of a Beach wrote:I usually have bacon and eggs (sometimes on an english muffin) for short walks.

Some people are just way too obsessed about food. Last time at High Moor there were discarded eggshells there - and quite obviously not from hard-boiled eggs. With the greatest care in the world I couldn't pack eggs in on that track and have them unbroken at High Moor.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Penguin » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 12:15 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Son of a Beach wrote:I usually have bacon and eggs (sometimes on an english muffin) for short walks.

Some people are just way too obsessed about food. Last time at High Moor there were discarded eggshells there - and quite obviously not from hard-boiled eggs. With the greatest care in the world I couldn't pack eggs in on that track and have them unbroken at High Moor.

Some people are just way too obsessed about food. +1

I take hard boiled eggs - quick and easy breakfast. I take my eggshells home. Hard boiled eggs last well on 3 to five day hikes.
Penguin

Postby MickyB » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 1:19 pm

north-north-west wrote:With the greatest care in the world I couldn't pack eggs in on that track and have them unbroken at High Moor.

I don't eat eggs so I've never had to worry about carrying them but I wonder if something like this would be useful for those who do.

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Coghlan- ... B00CHGT44I
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 1:48 pm

north-north-west wrote:

I wouldn't take eggs in to High Moor either. I only carry them on short walks (up to 3 or 4 days). They're a bit too heavy to carry much further than that.

Here's how I package them (note that you have to be prepared to sacrifice a tiny bit of weight and space)...

Using scissors, cut out the required number of segments from an egg carton, place the eggs in that, and then place that all into a hard plastic container. Fill any remaining space with other soft/squishy food items to make sure that the carton cannot rattle around inside the plastic container (eg, zip-locked bags of tea leaves, oats, whatever).

I've never broken an egg on a bushwalk using this method.

Of course it also helps to avoid dropping your pack or falling over. :-)

I do enjoy good food on a bushwalk. It makes a great walk even better for me, so carrying the little extra weight is worth it for short walks.

Packing out empty egg shells is also trivally easy. Just plonk them straight back into the egg carton. When they are all used, squash the egg carton flat (with shells still inside it) by stepping on it. Fold and squash again, if necessary, and then put in your usual rubbish bag (eg, zip-lock bag). Then you can use the empty plastic container to store other food items, or whatever, in order to make best use of the space in your pack.

There's no excuse for the mess you saw at High Moor. :-(
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 7:04 pm

Eggs OvaEasy are now back with a few ebay sellers. A toasting wire and some Toscano Bruschetta? (carries well).
Morning Sun Almond and Peach muesli seems to also make a fine porridge mix.
Mushroom and cheese filled DEB fritters!
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 9:18 pm

An easy breakfast (just add boiling water) is Maggi chicken flavoured 2 min noodles paired with Continental Dutch Curry and Rice Cos .
I put the dry ingredients into a 500ml screw top plastic container fill with boiling water seal and let it "cook" then eat ,yes I know it is high in salt but a nice flavour burst and around 1884 kj so a fair bit of energy to start the day with :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 8:09 am

Penguin wrote:I take hard boiled eggs - quick and easy breakfast. I take my eggshells home. Hard boiled eggs last well on 3 to five day hikes.

Why not just shell them at home?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 13 Jan, 2016 9:37 am

I find they keep better in the shell; once that protective shell comes of putrefaction steps in early, but fresh eggs keep for much longer than cooked.
I don't think I have ever taken cooked eggs away, even tho I may often take fresh for the first few days
I don't know what the new rules say but in the past we had to label eggs with the cooked date/peeled date and even tho refrigerated discard after 48 hours
Poaching eggs for a Caesar salad is a daily job
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby clance » Thu 14 Jan, 2016 9:25 pm

misselaineous2 wrote:while I know porridge ticks all the boxes for a nutritious, light weight, multiday breakfast solution, by day 2 I'm bored and day 3 I just can't stomach it anymore and instead I start hitting the chocolate stash before sun up. Needing breakfast ideas and inspiration to fill the belly and nourish the soul...

Mmm chocolate for brekky- yum

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
clance
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Eremophila » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 8:45 am

Made a batch of this last night:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/1 ... _21595072/

Added pepitas and sunflower kernels, then dried berries once the mix was baked. Very nice for brekky this morning and a little goes a long way.
Eremophila

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 12:47 pm

One thing not to do is take something like the "Up and Go" pre-made breakfasts.

My son wanted to take some of these for a school trip until I pointed out the amount of weight they contain in water.

I note that the Americans like to take pop-tarts out bush - no idea if that applies here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 6:04 pm

I make my own monster muesli from quinoa flakes, pumpkin, sunflower, flax, chia seeds and coconut, clarified butter, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, and dried cranberries. I'd add nuts but cannot due to a work requirement.

pop-tarts also known as toaster strudels, are so high in simple sugars, I wouldn't allow a student to bring them, I'd rather they eat slices of white-bread first, at least the crash will be slightly slower. Also if you look at the serving size and calorie load of the average "on the go breakfast" its no better than eating a banana, for those if us who need a big hit in the morning, they are pittiful. My "backup" breakfast is two packets of breakfast biscuits, a tin of pineapple chunks, and a coffee. That gives me enough to get myself sorted to eat about an hour later.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 4:15 pm

Just a really bad cholesterol raising thought
Take horrible plastic white bread, add two slices of plastic cheese, butter heavilly [ or even better 50/50 butter and bacon grease]and put them into sandwich sized plastic bags. Grilled cheese sandwich and a coffee.
The thing with using factory bread is that it is a keeper because of all the inhibitors added
Ditto the processed cheese
Of course you will need a tupperware sandwich box or similar to keep them in but that should be no problem for a 3 day or shorter W/E
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 4:35 pm

Good idea.

I've done a similar thing with mountain bread and with tortilla style flat-wrap bread. Works a treat.

I haven't thought of using it for breakfast before, but I usually do it with (real!) cheese and salami for lunch or dinner. Those flat breads keep for ages if you keep them in their original zip-lock packaging with the moisture/oxygen absorbing sachets that come in the packet. I've taken them on a 15 day expedition, and they were fine on day 15.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 4:47 pm

On the first few days of a trip I tend to lose my appetite. Often I have leftovers for breakfast reheated or cold. Usually very nice. This could be extended by cooking a double serve the night before. A lot to be said for a good curry for breakfast :roll:
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby onward » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 7:50 pm

Just use a good oat based muesli with powdered milk, if cold in the morning add hot water and call it porridge, if not cold just add cold water and call it muesli, if organised and no hungry night-time creatures pre-soak! I've done 30 days straight of the same mix, didn't seem an issue. Much like Mark I tend to lose my appetite when walking, but leftovers from the previous evening's dehydrated meal is going too far!!!
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 9:45 pm

Coffee or two with a banana and an oat bar. Something as a snack after that.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jitubisht » Tue 01 Aug, 2017 8:18 pm

Let me add something Indian in the mix :)

We get this -> Poha Breakfast vy NT (https://shop.mtrfoods.com/instant-regul ... -1629.html) This is primarily made of rice flakes.

Just add hot water, 3 minutes. That's all. Considered a very healthy breakfast in India , we love it!

Also - we have an Indian on-the-go snack which is 'salty-spicy'. Scroggin tends to get too sweet for me, I personally love Channa Jor Garam by Haldiram (main ingredient Gram) (http://www.haldiramsonline.com/chana-jor-garam.html)

Both these available in most Indian grocery stores in Australia
jitubisht
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Next

Return to Bush Tucker