Geryon North, Massif, Falling Mountain, Horizontal Hill

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Geryon North, Massif, Falling Mountain, Horizontal Hill

Postby naturelover » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 8:21 am

I see I haven't done any updates since the Eldon trip. Since then I have done a report on Geryon North, Massif and Du Cane HP, and just now, posted one on Falling Mountain / Castle Crag and Horizontal Hill. There were to be more peaks on the second trip, but a stone falling off Falling Mountain attacked my foot, and we had to quit after only two two mountains to our credit. My head is full of the beauty of what I've seen, even if my foot does keep trying to claim my attention.
For either, turn to natureloverswalks.blogspot.com. Cheers
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Geryon North, Massif, Falling Mountain, Horizontal Hill

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 9:06 am

Was the walker you met on day 1 aware of how close to death he came? To wander through a white out all night in the labyrinth and happen to stumble into people is a huge stroke of luck.

Obviously the story about Claire Hutchinson is still not enough to wake people from their slumber of irresponsibility.

The track that leaves Pine Valley to the Labyrinth (IMHO) needs a big sign prohibiting anyone without overnight gear from proceeding into that area.

He's an amazingly lucky individual.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby naturelover » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 10:33 am

Well, he did thank us for saving his life, so I can only assume he had an inkling - but probably not the full realisation.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 12:42 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:The track that leaves Pine Valley to the Labyrinth (IMHO) needs a big sign prohibiting anyone without overnight gear from proceeding into that area.

Oh . . . piffle!
The Parthenon, Cyane, Elysia, Dombrovskis Tarns, Pool of Memories, even Walled Mtn & The Minotaur, are all comfortable daywalks from Pine Valley in decent conditions.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 7:55 pm

Piffle yourself :)

I agree with exactly what you wrote. The problem... How do people know if it's going to be "decent" conditions for the day? If you've just come up on the ferry from Lake St Clair - fair enough.

If you've been out bush for a significant number of days, then you have no idea of the conditions which may occur in a short amount of time. If I had a recent forecast I'd head up to the labyrinth for a day of exploring. If not, I'd be taking a bunch of gear with me.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:24 pm

Well I can remember leaving Pine Valley Hut one day and heading up to the Labyrinth in thick mist. Our goal was Geryon North Peak. When we climbed out of the Labyrinth it was still misty, so we waited an hour or two, then the mist gradually cleared so we headed up and climbed the Geryon. On top, the weather cleared completely, so I left my companions and traversed across Big Gun Pass to Mt Massif and then on to Failing Mtn, then down to Du Cane Gap, and along the track back to Pine Valley Hut. OK - it was 13 hours (6 am start, 7 pm finish) - but not a super hard day, nor a foolhardy excursion.

Now you can carry a PLB and a mobile phone (good reception on the tops), and get an up to date weather forecast from Pine Valley Hut (good FM radio reception), or on the tops - use a phone to check the forecast online.

Or look further back to trips Keith Lancaster did - huge, long and often solo day trips in those ranges.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hermione » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 8:45 am

I don't think it's so much the length of the day as perhaps about experience. I would be extremely surprised to find you, DaveNoble, stumbling around with no map or compass.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby aloftas » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 8:52 am

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:Piffle yourself :)

I agree with exactly what you wrote. The problem... How do people know if it's going to be "decent" conditions for the day? If you've just come up on the ferry from Lake St Clair - fair enough.

If you've been out bush for a significant number of days, then you have no idea of the conditions which may occur in a short amount of time. If I had a recent forecast I'd head up to the labyrinth for a day of exploring. If not, I'd be taking a bunch of gear with me.

Nail, meet head.

Its about time, the older "wiser" heads, allowed for some due safety considerations and allowances for different levels of experience, without the acerbisms.
Last edited by aloftas on Tue 16 Feb, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 8:52 am

Nice pics.

SAH concerns are justified (for mere mortals anyway), heard of a few incidents up there. Several years before Claire went missing, a member of our group spotted two ladies disappearing into the mist, heading west (most likely to stumble down into the Murchison Valley and likely not return). We had spoken to them minutes earlier and within 100m they were gone from view and from the track, heading down a wombat run and completely disoriented. It must have started as a nice day as we'd not have been there otherwise. Some sort of shelter at least wouldn't hurt on long day traverse (as a general recommendation).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 10:26 am

Loved the report naturelover.

As for the side issue - it is true that Pine Valley offers a lovely platform for day trips into the area.
But it is still quite remote and folk need to treat the area with the respect it deserves.
Not sure what the sign should read, [I can understand NNW reaction to being "prohibited" unless carrying overnight gear], but the prospect of getting lost especially in rain and cloud means that you should be prepared for the conditions. So perhaps a warning regarding the pad nature of the tracks and the potential for false leads?

I have been up there twice now, both times having the security of all my gear with me. Both times involved rain and cloud at stages, so it was important to be able to navigate.
Curiously, on the way in we met a seasoned couple on the way out. They had been for a day walk in pretty poor weather and the lady had slipped and gone into one of the lakes.
As a result, she was starting to freeze up and they were moving urgently back to Pine Valley Hut and their gear there to avoid hypothermia.
Given the tragic lack of preparation/gear that some have on the overland track, I suspect there will always be the lucky stories of people who barely survive or are saved by other walkers.

In the end, people have a duty of self care, and there is only so much you can warn them about before you start making rules that spoil it for everyone else.
It is unfortunate - but tragedies will always keep happening because people are sometimes silly and ill prepared.
[And I should add, I suspect everyone who walks have stories of near death experiences - all delivered by near misses or lucky timing. So even the well prepared know that there is no such thing as riskless walking]
It is remarkable though how many close escapes there are with the result that there are lot less tragedies than one would actually expect.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 10:35 am

north-north-west wrote:
South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:The track that leaves Pine Valley to the Labyrinth (IMHO) needs a big sign prohibiting anyone without overnight gear from proceeding into that area.

Oh . . . piffle!
The Parthenon, Cyane, Elysia, Dombrovskis Tarns, Pool of Memories, even Walled Mtn & The Minotaur, are all comfortable daywalks from Pine Valley in decent conditions.

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:Piffle yourself :)

Still doesn't justify "a big sign prohibiting anyone without overnight gear from proceeding into that area". It's a daywalk to all the areas NNW listed, just as are the Acropolis, Ossa and all the other higher-altitude side-trips off the OLT (which are also far enough away from the trackheads to not necessarily have an up-to-date weather forecast). If the Labyrinth was to be singled out for specific warnings (or worse, prohibitions without o/night gear as suggested above), I'd be concerned where the line ends up being drawn... warning signs on every OLT sidetrip? Maybe instead of prohibitions or warnings a simple sign outlining what is in the Labyrinth's "day walk" area and what isn't might be helpful, but even then I (personally) think that would be overkill and would seem to warn against more competent people venturing further afield (as in Dave Noble's example above).

As a general observation (and notwithstanding the very sad events referenced in this thread) I think the more things are spelt out to buttress against specific risks the less common sense and personal accountability will be applied more broadly. Theoretically you could end up with a situation where Parks have to go around putting warning signs up all over the place, lest someone get into strife by interpreting the lack of a warning sign as a green light to go and do something stoopid. IMO the common sense approach is to continue to rely on peoples' common sense... doesn't always work but better than foisting prescriptive regulation on the sensible majority.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 2:04 pm

I never said it need be enforced. I don't think anyone on bw.com thinks Dave Noble or NNW or any other experienced hiker should have to lug their gear around on a day trip knowing the weather will be fine.

However, it may stop newbies from progressing unprepared into an area which becomes very difficult to navigate in poor weather.

I don't think Parks should enforce it, nor put signs on every side trip along the OLT. But the fact remains that the Labyrinth because of geography and the numerous animal pads which exist in all directions continues to catch people out.

This was very close to another death.

Anyway, thanks once again for the trip report. The scrambling involved most likely puts Geryon out of reach for me.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby Hermione » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 2:22 pm

It's just that putting up big ugly signs is yet another manmade blot on the landscape and I question how much attention people really pay them. Anyway probably off the topic which was Naturelover's great trip report.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bumpingbill » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 3:14 pm

For the purposes of visitors in the future, this is the permanent link to the article in question:

http://natureloverswalks.blogspot.com.a ... -high.html
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 3:15 pm

eggs wrote:... the prospect of getting lost especially in rain and cloud means that you should be prepared for the conditions. So perhaps a warning regarding the pad nature of the tracks and the potential for false leads?

Yep.
If there's going to be a sign it should warn people about the ease with which they could get disoriented and lost and the speed with which the weather can change. But a supposed (and unenforceable) ban on daytrips is just another meaningless attempt to stupid-proof the bush. Which. Can't. Be. Done.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby naturelover » Fri 19 Feb, 2016 8:10 am

"In the end, people have a duty of self care, and there is only so much you can warn them about before you start making rules that spoil it for everyone else." Isn't this excellent comment by eggs the crux of the matter??
Once you have an advisory warning to take gear that is unnecessary if you have any sense, Parks will use it as an excuse to slippery slide that into a prohibition. Their junior rangers seem to be quite power hungry and zealous in their efforts to stop seasoned bushwalkers from doing exceptionally reasonable things.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 19 Feb, 2016 10:01 am

How many visitors to the Labyrinth carry a full overnight kit? On our visit, the 3 of us each carried more than any of the few we crossed path with. They had as little as a bum pack. We didn't have shelter/pots etc but just had clothing for cold and rain, and food for the day.

On a separate note, does WPS have the power or practical tools to forcefully remove walkers who insist on heading into adverse weather?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby eggs » Fri 19 Feb, 2016 11:37 am

Someone once said there are 10 forms of power and only one was legitimate.
However, the most common [non-legitimate] was the power of bluff.
I suspect the WPS have quite a lot of that power.
However, they should not have the power to force people as per your question.
But sadly, the main reason they would like such power is to avoid the blame that a culture nurtured on suing loves to wield.
[But also to avoid the hazard of trying to rescue people in terrible conditions - again partly because everyone will blame them if they do not try.]

The idea of "duty of self care" is going against the modern tide of political correctness and everyone else being to blame for whatever happens to us.
Sadly, this modern phenomenon is a sign of a civilisation in terminal decline.
People with such attitudes would never have built the civilisation they currently enjoy.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 19 Feb, 2016 11:58 am

I agree and have to say that I have only seen rangers advise and never force.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 19 Feb, 2016 3:44 pm

GPSGuided wrote:On a separate note, does WPS have the power or practical tools to forcefully remove walkers who insist on heading into adverse weather?

Legally, I doubt it.

This is not a problem I've ever had in Tassie. Rangers have always been polite and reasonable when we've bumped into one another and discussed things.

For instance, I did a snowshoe trip up over Rufus and Hugel last winter while the tracks were all officially closed. Ranger at Cynthia Bay saw me heading out, asked where I was going and, when he saw I had good snowshoes and a sensible plan, simply wished me luck and waved me on.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 19 Feb, 2016 4:11 pm

The only official removals I've heard have been by the police with incoming bush fires or floods. I wonder if rangers would do similar when there are bush fire threats. Guess that's the only serious condition where forced removal _may_ be justified. Snow and blizzard are in a different category.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rolfe » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 2:23 pm

It might be worth mentioning that the lost walker referred to by naturelover had been out photographing the stars, relying solely on his phone for map, compass and torch (!) Of course, his battery went flat.
No, you can't stoopid-proof the wildernesses.
Rolfe
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 6:26 pm

Did he get any good photos?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby naturelover » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 7:51 am

He got a great one of stars and an aurora behind cradle, but had none to boast of on this night - clouds came in, which is what disoriented him. I have known bushwalkers to get lost because they went too far from the tent to go to the toilet. I know another who went to the toilet on the way up the southern ranges, finished his business, came back to the track and then headed downhill, causing a forty minute delay while everyone waited for his return, wondering what unearth was wrong. Not even a map and compass would help people of this quality. The lost guy of so much discussion here got lost at the pool of memories, and was found near Pine Vally hut next day after 13 or so hours, yet was not even able to comment on whether or not he had come downhill to get there!!!!!!
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 12:49 pm

I like that eggs, 'duty of self care'. I took a pic of this sign at the falls:

2016-02-24 10.47.33.jpg

And otherwise see only positive though. Intrusive perhaps, I guess that is the point in being noticed, but if its a part of educating new walkers it's an attempt to help.

Really needs to be part of a more solid framework though, from the start. 'Fostering a mindset' or re-set, rather than giving instructions along the way, not at all easy to achieve. Still we pass people struggling with drop cloth rain ponchos, sold locally.

I can't really picture how the newest walkers see these signs in relation to their own safety. Can't say i'm the most diligent sign reader. It would definitely help to have inexperienced walkers slow down -at the start and realise it's their lives at risk and each risk needs some thought. Read and relate the signs to themselves. The one above may be in place to absolve parks more than anything but the education framework (I think) is a worthy goal of 'sacrificing' The Overland Track and some of the popular side country.

Emergency shelter/bivy after eg. Pine Valley hut? (advice..), I mean the things are so cheap and light..
(and, in limiting campsite sprawl into places like The Labyrinth.... uncomfortable enough)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 1:37 pm

I guess another option would be to add a brief note of how many have died in the area.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 1:55 pm

Like roadside markers of injury or sad tragedy? I guess if there is a to be a sign it should have maximum impact.

Anyhow.. I find another point interesting. There are a growing number of modern influences on park management, maybe P&W (via young parkies) increasingly need to exert more control by other, less 'community spirited' means? Especially in the case, for instance, with counteracting authors & bloggers who now control the impact and recreational creep in the absence of any easy legislation or policing.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Oldfatanddodgyknees » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi I'd like to add more details on the lost photographer. I headed up the labarinth as a day trip with my 11 year old son on his first overnight bushwalking trip on the morning in question. It was misty with visibility coming and going...all pretty normal for the Lab. When we got to the main lake we met another party who told us about the guy in question, who had gone to take photos from the pool of memories but didn't come back. His tent was left open with his sleeping bag soaked by the rain. He was apparently only wearing a light jacket. I hadn't heard the phone,map story but I'm not surprised. We abandoned our plans for the day and joined the land search. The other party called the police at 8:00 but the fog prevented the police chopper flying up until mid morning. When the chopper turned up it circled and searched for a while then the message came through he was found, but details were confused. So the chopper landed and we all waited an hour or so until it was confirmed he was at pine valley hut. The police packed up his gear and flew it down to pine valley hut to deliver it, and confirm his story. Only to have to fly it back to the labyrinth when they didn't find him. Meanwhile he had started back up the laberynth with a large experienced party keeping close watch on him. We then abandoned the rest of our plans and headed down off the labynth. We met him at the top of the climb up the lab. He couldn't or wouldn't tell me what happened. I figured he dropped off from the pool of memories to the east and somehow made his way down hill without falling off one of the many cliffs. There is actually an old track down to the climbers camp, but he didn't seem to recall it, he couldn't even tell me if he spent all night heading down or what, nor did he mention meeting dave novels group, he told me he hit the track leading up to the Acropolis, he actually recalled seeing the sign to the Acropolis at the unmarked trail up to geryon climbing camp. But that's about I could get out of him. I also informed him he was still officially lost until he spoken to the police directly, fortunate someone in the group had a sat phone, he spent the next 15 on the phone to the police.
For the record, I think equipment is important but doesn't replace experience.
I have no problem with going up the labarinth on a gear less day trip, but I know it can be a shocker for navigation when the mist roles in, it's just one of those places
I don't believe in signposting and fencing the wilderness away from harm
However there is a growing sentiment in young people that they have thr 'right' to go where they want, rather than earning that right by experience skill and sound judgement.
More information on risks, issues and weather advice may help, but you don't know what you don't know and that young bloke had no idea what he didn't know.
At the time when we found out about him being missing I gave him a 30 percent chance of being found alive.
I just hope he has learnt.......its been a good lesson for my son.
Oldfatanddodgyknees
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes