Rats Castle and Wild Dog Tier

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Rats Castle and Wild Dog Tier

Postby naturelover » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 8:07 am

Thanks to the helpful advice from Tortoise, I tried her suggested route up Wild Dog Tier yesterday. I haven't tried the book's route to compare, but it sounded unenticing, with many kms of dull brown-green scenery. This route had a few contours to trip over, some semi-dry myrtle forest - but at least there was forest - and it was wayyyyy faster - I was home for a late lunch (out before lunchtime, but then I had the drive to do). A shorter drive is another bonus. There WAS the hole, and it was scary, but I survive to tell the story. Map of my route, story, pics, and the hole waypointed for those who want to know when trouble is coming, are all in my blog
[url]natureloverswalks.blogspot.com[/url]

I also climbed Rats Castle in the last week, this one with a friend. That story is there with pics too.
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Rats Castle and Wild Dog Tier

Postby Tortoise » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 11:28 am

naturelover wrote:Thanks to the helpful advice from Tortoise, I tried her suggested route up Wild Dog Tier yesterday. I haven't tried the book's route to compare, but it sounded unenticing, with many kms of dull brown-green scenery. This route had a few contours to trip over, some semi-dry myrtle forest - but at least there was forest - and it was wayyyyy faster - I was home for a late lunch (out before lunchtime, but then I had the drive to do). A shorter drive is another bonus. There WAS the hole, and it was scary, but I survive to tell the story. Map of my route, story, pics, and the hole waypointed for those who want to know when trouble is coming, are all in my blog
[url]natureloverswalks.blogspot.com[/url]

I also climbed Rats Castle in the last week, this one with a friend. That story is there with pics too.

Hi Nervous Naturelover,

Glad it worked out. :) Enjoyed your report, as always. Sorry about the colander brain - I could have sworn the Big Hole was the one that was marked. (And yes, now that you mention it, it was the pair of holes that made it a bit scary.) Thanks for marking the waypoint - others have asked about it.

I actually really liked the bit along Sales Rivulet - but maybe that was because I was seeing it through the eyes of some young 'uns I'd taken along, who had never seen cushion plants, pencil pines, coral fern, babbling alpine brook etc.

Re Rats Castle - I opted for the more direct route up and back, and never did work out why it wasn't the standard one.

Cheers,
Timorous Tortoise
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Rats Castle and Wild Dog Tier

Postby naturelover » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 11:39 am

If it helps, TT, my husband loved the last of my photos that depicted the area you talked about. I think I was just in a glum mood, and not ready to be easily pleased that day. Do you know, I saw smoke issuing from something small from up high, and was almost hoping it might be my car burning - which would spare me a meeting with the hole :lol:
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes