South West WA Waterfalls

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South West WA Waterfalls

Postby paulmp » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the forum, but have been lurking and using the forum for reference for hikes in QLD, NSW and Tasmania.
I live in the South West of Western Australia, I've done the Cape to Cape a few times as well as most sections of the Bibbulmun.

I'm wondering if people have any information on off-track or "secret" waterfalls around the Southern half of Western Australia, I'm a bit obsessed with them. I've been to the obvious waterfalls:
- Quinninup Falls (awesome in winter)
- Serpentine Falls
- Lesmurdie Falsl
- Hovea Falls & NP Falls
- Lane-Pool Falls
- Fernhook Falls
- Beedelup Falls

Also there is Ironstone Gully Falls, they only flow when we get ridiculous amounts of rain, but they look great when they do flow.

Plus I've "discovered" 4 unmarked and unnamed falls around the hills near Nannup (happy to pass on GPS co-ordinates directly, I think 2 are either on private property or you may have to cross it to get to them)

Just wondering if anyone else is as obsessed as I am and if they know of any others.. I've attached photos from one near Nannup.

- Paul

nannup_falls.jpg
Waterfall near Nannup

nannup_falls4.jpg
view from the top

IMG_2708.jpg
view from near the bottom
paulmp
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: South West WA Waterfalls

Postby MickyB » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 10:27 pm

Welcome to the forum paulmp.
Great photos :D

I know someone who may know of a few secret waterfalls in WA. Won't see him for a week or two but will ask him for you when I do see him
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Bogong Moth » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 11:09 am

I'm not going to be able to help you , but but I just moved to perth do this list is is a good starting point for me ! Thanks.
Bogong Moth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Redtail » Mon 25 Apr, 2016 12:02 pm

There's a nice creek with multiple falls feeding Wooroloo Brook. Description and waypoints here http://www.walkgps.com/Wooroloo%20Brook%20Walk.htm

As well as Hovea and National Falls in John Forrest, Christmas Tree Creek is worth taking in, too.

May I ask where Lane-Poole Falls are? In Lane-Poole Reserve around Dwellingup area? Nearby there's Marrinup Falls, as well.

As for more secret place, there's some very hidden ones on the southern descent of Mt Cooke that feed into a rock stream close to the base.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick
Redtail
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MickyB » Mon 25 Apr, 2016 1:24 pm

Redtail wrote:May I ask where Lane-Poole Falls are?

These sites might be helpful

http://www.roamingdownunder.com/lane-poole-falls.php

http://studyperth.com.au/about/news-fee ... waterfalls
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 6:15 am

Some lovely falls there, Paul. 8-)

Sent from my X98 Plus(A5C8) using Tapatalk
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Russ17 » Tue 17 May, 2016 9:32 am

Hey mate

there are smaller sets of falls up river behind Serpentine Falls - just walk up the pipeline or up from the swimming hole and follow the river back. the other access is up Selkirk Road then head off into the national park. They aren't huge falls but they are there
Russ17
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby jakeyarwood » Tue 17 May, 2016 5:27 pm

Can't help either but thanks for posting Paul! I've seen a few of these but definitely eager to check out more. Thanks everybody else for the tips too! I unwittingly stumbled upon that stream close to Mt Cooke and it was a beautiful surprise.
jakeyarwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BGA » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 11:48 am

G'day Paul,

Fernhook are not the only falls on the Deep River they are just the most accessible. South of Fernhook are Gladstone Falls with reasonable access if you have a smaller 4x4 or don't mind scratched paint and belted mirrors, or you can walk. As with Fernhook they are best visited when there is a good flow. Map Sheet 2228-3 Deep River 1:50000

Another in this area are The Falls of Forth on the Kent River parts of which are like a mini canyon. These falls are not far south of where the new bridge on the Munda Biddi Bike trail crosses the Kent River or they can be accessed by a number of "marron tracks" off the formed road, then simply bush bash along the river. There is a section of the river a kilometre or so long that has lots of rapids and small falls, again at their best immediately after after significant rains. Access is off Break Road (from the east side of the river as the ford is often not passable). Approximate position 117 degrees 05 minutes 34 degrees 51 minutes.

There are many other fall scattered through the SW rivers and creeks and studying decent topo maps will show the position of many of them.
hope this is of some help.
BGA
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paulmp » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks for all the tips.. I've been putting together a map of places I've explored and hiked through... I've found at least 15 waterfalls just in the Nannup / Bridgetown region. I'm working on documenting most of them this winter as well as exploring a few of the other ones you guys have suggested.
Attachments
waterfalls.jpg
paulmp
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paulmp » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 6:45 pm

This one near Nannup is probably one of my favourites.

swsecrets_paulmp-10.jpg
paulmp
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Claire086 » Fri 22 Dec, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi Paul, would you mind sharing the co-ordinates for the two nannup falls in your pictures above? I have spent ages trying to work out where they could be on all my maps and google maps but no luck ~ any information would be greatly appreciated as I absolutely love waterfalls and these look amazing! Thanks in advance ~ Claire
Claire086
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory