Tasgear Gaiters

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Re: Tasgear Gaiters

Postby Nuts » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 1:59 pm

go well
Last edited by Nuts on Tue 26 Jul, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Scottyk » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 7:45 pm

Discount codes all gone.
Thank you to everyone who has purchased some so far, demand has been more than I expected which is great.
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby Bogong Moth » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:43 pm

They look great! Will you do custom sizes? I have short legs, small feet and chunky calves so I have real difficulty.
Bogong Moth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Scottyk » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 7:17 am

Bogong Moth wrote:They look great! Will you do custom sizes? I have short legs, small feet and chunky calves so I have real difficulty.

Yes I can
Maybe send me a pm if you're interested and I can look at what I can do.
Scottyk

Postby walkon » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 9:36 am

how long before the xl are back in stock
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Region: Victoria

Postby Scottyk » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 4:45 pm

walkon wrote:how long before the xl are back in stock

About 4 weeks. Demand has taken me by surprise and I can't get back on the machine for that long due to work commitments. If you are interested in a pair you can PM me and i'll send you a message to let you know when they are back online for sale.
Sorry for the sell out but I underestimated and the demand, might have to quit this other job :D :lol:
Scottyk

Postby stry » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

I'm happy with the design, the quality and the service :D

It has been covered before but I will add my vote for the press stud. Definitely a good idea.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby dagsands » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 11:10 am

They look great and I'm keen to purchase quality Aussie made gear.
I've never owned anything more than my ex's tiny construction work gaiters and I have two questions about sizing and rain pants.

Re sizing - I am a woman with a pair of keen men's 46euro targhee mids. I see the gaiter sizing relates to the boot size but don't really understand how this works - how does shoe size relate to calf girth or length, although I understand there must be a relationship with the length of the boot and the circumference/fit at the bottom of the gaiter ..

Re rain pants - I have a pair of MD rain pants (Repel™ Storm 2 Layer Ripstop 20D Nylon) dumb question - do these go over/under the gaiters or do I take the gaiters off? I guess the 'take off' option depends where I'm walking...

Anyhoo good on you for busting out your own range and I will save up for a pair once I understand the sizing.
Cheers
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate
Region: New South Wales

Postby Scottyk » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 11:55 am

dagsands wrote:They look great and I'm keen to purchase quality Aussie made gear.
I've never owned anything more than my ex's tiny construction work gaiters and I have two questions about sizing and rain pants.

Re sizing - I am a woman with a pair of keen men's 46euro targhee mids. I see the gaiter sizing relates to the boot size but don't really understand how this works - how does shoe size relate to calf girth or length, although I understand there must be a relationship with the length of the boot and the circumference/fit at the bottom of the gaiter ..

Re rain pants - I have a pair of MD rain pants (Repel™ Storm 2 Layer Ripstop 20D Nylon) dumb question - do these go over/under the gaiters or do I take the gaiters off? I guess the 'take off' option depends where I'm walking...

Anyhoo good on you for busting out your own range and I will save up for a pair once I understand the sizing.
Cheers

Hi dagsands
Yes the sizing is relating to boot size, it's the only way to do it really. As far as height up the leg, these are designed to sit pretty high without being high enough they start to become annoying around the knee joint. I wouldn't worry too much about it as a centimeter or two up or down the leg is not really something you would notice. I would say that an extra large pair will be fine for you. Others may be able to show some pics of extra large they have purchased from me and how they fit up the leg.

The question of rain pant under or over is an interesting one. I really like having them over mt gaiters as this means that water doesn't run down into the boot and you can keep your feet dry for a long time. Others like to put them outside and if I were in really thick scrub I would to save your rain pants from damage.

I am just about to start rolling out the next batch so I will send you a PM to let you know they are ready.
Scottyk

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 1:27 pm

I have a few questions, firstly do you have measurements of height/width for each size as they are laid flat, so I can choose a pair based on the measurements of my current pair ? Secondly do you accept paypal ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dagsands » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 3:05 pm

Thanks ScottyT that would be great :) and I'm glad my over or under question isn't so silly after all.
Cheers.
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 5:22 pm

A further report on performance:
I've now had a chance to try them out in snow, mud and slush. And they handle it better than any I've had before. Inside of the boots was bone dry until the fifth time I got stuck knee deep (or worse) in the slush under the snow. Given how long it took to get out of some of those holes, that was really impressive.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Scottyk » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 9:45 pm

CasualNerd wrote:I have a few questions, firstly do you have measurements of height/width for each size as they are laid flat, so I can choose a pair based on the measurements of my current pair ? Secondly do you accept paypal ?

Give me a couple of days and I'll post all that sizing info for you.
My website payment gateway accepts PayPal
Friday I'll be on the sewing machine again, filling back orders and getting stock back online.
Scottyk

Postby Scottyk » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 4:07 pm

Just to let everyone know I am back on the machine and have all sizes ready to go on the website.
Thank you to everyone that waited patiently for me to get back on deck.
I'll be putting together a sizing guide in coming days including the wide versions.
Scottyk

Postby dagsands » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 10:05 am

Scottyk wrote:Just to let everyone know I am back on the machine and have all sizes ready to go on the website.
Thank you to everyone that waited patiently for me to get back on deck.
I'll be putting together a sizing guide in coming days including the wide versions.

Thanks Scotty - have PM'd you.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Scottyk » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 10:36 am

Scottyk wrote:
CasualNerd wrote:I have a few questions, firstly do you have measurements of height/width for each size as they are laid flat, so I can choose a pair based on the measurements of my current pair ? Secondly do you accept paypal ?

Give me a couple of days and I'll post all that sizing info for you.
My website payment gateway accepts PayPal
Friday I'll be on the sewing machine again, filling back orders and getting stock back online.

As promised sizing guide is now up on the site with wide versions now a stock item
http://www.tasgear.com.au/pages/sizing
Scottyk

Postby Scottyk » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 6:52 pm

This weekend Tasgear Gaiters will be at the Tasmanian Outdoor, Boat and Caravan Show, held at the Silverdome in Launceston Tasmanina. If you go to the Brierley Marine Stall we will have gaiters on display and all the stock sizes available to be tried on to see what size fits you best (bring the boots you walk in for fitting)
So if you in the north of Tasmania and would like to see them in the flesh before you buy this is your chance.
Scottyk

Postby dagsands » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 9:23 am

My new tasgear gaiters got their first run on the weekend in Girraween national park. Fitted correctly to my lowest lace there was no need for the under boot cord. Well done Scotty and thank you. Beautifully made.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 4:10 pm

I gave these another serious off track challenge, walking into The Coronets this week. Typical SW conditions, wet, steep slimy rainforest, tea tree/melaleuca/buttongrass moorlands, a bit of mud, sharp quartz and plenty of moisture.
The double press stud on one gaiter came undone contributing to a 'gunking' up of the velcro, the other gaiter remained fastly attached. Still no signs of abrasion, stitching erosion or real wear and tear. The canvas has faded a little, which just makes them look cool :) I've got a big summer ahead and I think these guys will survive it...time will tell!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 10:48 am

A couple of shots of the very well used Tasgear gaiters on top of The Coronets...thanks for the pics doogs :)
Attachments
dan gaiters (1 of 1).jpg
dan gaiters1 (1 of 1).jpg
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Scottyk » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 7:06 am

Nice pics, looks like the under cords are still ok?
Stepbystep's version are the original prototypes before I used the aluminium pieces to secure the under cord. Looks like the cord is holding up ok Dan?
The canvas does fade and it's not something I am totally happy with, it's not a problem structurally just purely the look, I think it looks cool but others may not. We are in the process of securing a supply of Australian made canvas which should be more colourfast. We really want to use Australian made components where ever we can but minimum order quantities have meant we have to build up to large orders required for these things.
Scottyk

Postby stepbystep » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 8:00 am

Hey Scott...the cord is still holding up well. I still haven't done a serious prolonged dolerite/quartz traverse which is where I thought they would fail but they have only frayed in one part. The quartz on the Sentinels is extremely sharp and I did a few hours messing around on that rock wearing the gaiters. I predicted the cord would last 5 minutes...haha...I was obviously very wrong. When I get a chance I'll buy a length of cord for spares, but now I think these will last most of a long summer of walking...
It's important to clean the gaiters properly post use or the velcro/buckle will deteriorate and continue to gunk up.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 8:02 am

Strap fraying ... post quartzite abrasion and after around 30 days walking.
Attachments
image.jpeg
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 2:41 pm

stepbystep wrote:It's important to clean the gaiters properly post use or the velcro/buckle will deteriorate and continue to gunk up.

I've found it necessary to clean the press studs after every day, otherwise gunk seems to get/sit in there and stop them closing properly. That may be why one of yours pooped open.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby stepbystep » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 4:07 pm

north-north-west wrote:
stepbystep wrote:It's important to clean the gaiters properly post use or the velcro/buckle will deteriorate and continue to gunk up.

I've found it necessary to clean the press studs after every day, otherwise gunk seems to get/sit in there and stop them closing properly. That may be why one of yours pooped open.

My press studs rarely poop open, or pop even ... hard to tell, but that's a possibility for sure. It's worth keeping an eye on because if they do pop open that's how the gunk gets into the velcro. The strain on the press studs is significant when you think of the various angles and stretch they would experience in steep off track environments, not to mention constant abrasion on all sorts of surfaces...
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Scottyk » Fri 11 Nov, 2016 10:08 am

Hi all
Our gaiters our now cheaper. Down to $88 per pair.
We have been able to buy some materials in bulk which has reduced to cost to us so we are passing that on to our customers.
Thanks
Scotty
Scottyk

Postby Neo » Fri 11 Nov, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi Scotty
Great. I think I measure myself as the large wide size, but I wear a US12/EU46 shoe. Does that sound OK or should I go for XL?
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Scottyk » Fri 11 Nov, 2016 2:15 pm

Neo wrote:Hi Scotty
Great. I think I measure myself as the large wide size, but I wear a US12/EU46 shoe. Does that sound OK or should I go for XL?

Go for XL as they will be no good if they don't sit low enough on the boot. The width should be ok for you in XL too.
Last edited by Scottyk on Fri 11 Nov, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottyk

Postby Neo » Fri 11 Nov, 2016 3:00 pm

Cheers just ordered XL.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 11:08 am

Nice job Scotty. Be a while before they get used but worth a comment for the workmanship. Well done.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts