Runners on the AAWT

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Runners on the AAWT

Postby WadeThrupp » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 7:22 pm

First time doing the AAWT and would like to keep weight down.
Would these shoes do the trick?
Or should I get a pair of trail runners or just go for a good boot?

Oh and I'll be rockin a decent pair of gators too, Hopefully some that go over the laces and tongue of this shoe.
Attachments
Shoe-Review-Nike-Air-Pegasus.png
WadeThrupp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Runners on the AAWT

Postby Mark F » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 8:29 pm

I cannot comment on the specific shoe but good trail shoes are fine for the AAWT unless you are planning a winter trip. As for gaiters, it is up to you. I don't normally wear gaiters but others see some value in them.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby alanoutgear » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:57 pm

They look like a nice pair of Nike Pegasus. The mesh forefoot cover won't last the AAWT - sticks, stones, and brush will eventually tear it apart. If they are Pegs, they''re not made for this sort of work.
alanoutgear
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WadeThrupp » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 6:09 am

They are pegs. Thank you both for your quick replies.

alanoutgear - Do you think I will make it to the end from south to north and be able to throw them afterwards or will I regret using them at say half way when there is almost nothing left?

And what about the tread?
WadeThrupp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby damoprz » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:35 pm

You might make it end to end, I have gotten a large number of days hiking out of a light weight pair of Mizuno runners. I would have a spare pair ready somewhere half way just incase.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 12:55 pm

What happens if they deconstruct days away from your backup pair?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 1:45 pm

peregrinator wrote:What happens if they deconstruct days away from your backup pair?

at that weight he could take a backup pair. Or two.

worn weight on the foot has a greater magnitude than weight on the back. Carrying two spare pairs of less robust footwear in the pack is less effort than a robust pair on the feet.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby damoprz » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 2:41 pm

Liberal use of duct tape and super glue should keep it structurally intact for a while.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WadeThrupp » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 2:53 pm

No carrying a second pair seems like a hassle and a second pair half way would certainly not be another pair of nikes, more likely an el-cheapo pair from big w that you could guarantee would be destroyed by the aawt. I was just hoping they would hold together till the end but now I'm reconsidering... Unless I get me some gators like these >..
Attachments
gaiters 2.jpg
WadeThrupp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 4:42 pm

Depends how rocky and scrubby the track is, and to some extent what your walking style is and how careful you are. I walk in shoes and so I see no problem using shoes rather than boots but I'd try to find something more durable while still fairly light weight.

Reminds me of the time a friend took a brand new pair of Dunlop KT26 shoes for the walk into Frenchman's Cap. The sole of one of his shoes got sucked off in the mud in the Loddons (thankfully on the way out) and he had to reach in and dig it out of the mud, the sole was strapped on using occy straps for the last few hours back to the road...

I also have another friend who has had cheap shoes disintegrate midway through canyon trips (yes, it's happened more than once!) Including one time in the middle of an overnight trip while we still had all the exit to do. That pair had a mostly mesh upper which just got shredded.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mutley » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 5:20 pm

I used a pair of Vasque Taku boots for the AAWT. These are leather boots, but a fairly lightweight construction and a lightweight Vibram sole. By the end of the trip, I was feeling rocks underfoot significantly more than the start of the trip. There is plenty of off track walking involved, with some very steep and rocky sections. You may find a runner will excessively tire you as the soft sole will not provide sufficient support. But I have never really tried off track bushwalking with a loaded pack and trail runners, so please don't think this as an expert opinion. Oh yea, lost my gaiters at the Murrumbidgee River. Saw 5 snakes in total and all quite close. I would personally wear gaiters if I did the trip again, mainly for the long grass sections.
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby damoprz » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 6:05 pm

You could check out something like La Sportiva Wildcats, which are probably the most comfortable runners I have ever worn, and are meant to be able to survive a thru-hike. A little heavy at 750 g per set.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nq111 » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 6:35 pm

Biomechanically speaking, a 300g pair of shoes on the feet plus a 300g pair of spare shoes in the backpack is better than a 600g pair of shoes on the feet.

My 2c - I'd see if you could make the shoes work.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby oyster_07 » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 8:45 pm

I'm planning on doing the AAWT in November with a pair of Salomon Wings Pro 2. I'll be posting more about my gear soon at www.facebook.com/AAWT2016.

I would personally suggest the Nike Pegasus to be lacking the robustness to last, although comments about rotational mass and stationery mass are accurate.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby damoprz » Wed 17 Aug, 2016 9:56 pm

If I could afford a 2nd pair of shoes I'd definitely be going with 2 lightweight sets, switching half way.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 1:45 pm

oyster_07 wrote:I'm planning on doing the AAWT in November with a pair of Salomon Wings Pro 2. I'll be posting more about my gear soon at http://www.facebook.com/AAWT2016.

I would personally suggest the Nike Pegasus to be lacking the robustness to last, although comments about rotational mass and stationery mass are accurate.

i'd be interested to see how the salomons go. a superb pair of shoes that i've worn on and off track carrying a heavy pack (as well as superb for actual trail running). The newer version appears to have a better sole - that is larger lugs - I found the older version a little sketchy in the mud.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 2:43 pm

damoprz wrote:If I could afford a 2nd pair of shoes I'd definitely be going with 2 lightweight sets, switching half way.

I'd be more concerned about my shoes falling apart at the Vic end. Between Thredbo and Tharwa there's hardly any scrub to worry about unless you go looking for it and most of the off track stuff is through grass. Eljimberino did it in a pair of sandals.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby oyster_07 » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 3:19 pm

slparker wrote: i'd be interested to see how the salomons go. a superb pair of shoes that i've worn on and off track carrying a heavy pack (as well as superb for actual trail running). The newer version appears to have a better sole - that is larger lugs - I found the older version a little sketchy in the mud.

Agreed. The first version's sole had quite small chevron-shaped blade-like lugs, whereas the second version (that I have) has larger and more robust trapezoidal-shaped lugs. The second version also has a slightly wider toe-box.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wim » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 7:15 am

I would use Trailrunners.

I have used La Sportive Wildcat 2.0 for Overland and three Great ocean road walks. On day one on the Overland the toe protection came of the mesh but apart from that the shoes held up very well.
Very comfy runners and ideal for people with a wide forefoot like myself. You do get what I would describe as a barefoot feeling i.e. I felt the terrain very well through the sole.
These also are the best draining runners I have had so far, they dry out real quick. Good grip on (wet) rock.
On the other hand there is almost no support, so go light, and the lugs on the sole have worn out after the hikes mentioned above plus some day walks totalling around 500km.
There is almost no toe protection. Not fit for bushwhacking.

Now I am using the Salomon pro 3d, more sturdy, more protection and great lacing system. Less wide in the fore foot but more support in the sole, drains much slower than the Wildcat and sometimes I miss getting more feedback from the track but overall more fit for the purpose of hiking imo.
These will take a lot of trashing combined with good gaiters. I have used these of the trail and they have held up fine.

I always wear gaiters, Dirty girl, keeps debris out. For serious bushwhacking I would go with strong knee-high gaiters.
Wim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 10:00 pm

I wore trail runners end to end on the AAWT, New Balance brand. I forget the model. I replaced the innersole along the way which provided a higher degree of comfort after the original innersole became a tad thin. I also wore calf high gaiters to start but ditched them for my usual dirty girls halfway through, mainly because I found the heavier duty option overheated my legs and both trapped and created moisture. They also somehow harbored the odd leech which made things interesting on removal.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Stew63 » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:37 am

Suggest look at real, serious, dedicated trail shoes (not NewBalance/Nike/ASICs/Adidas etc. - they're not true TrailShoes!) Try Hoka One shoes - both trail and bitumen. Great, underrated shoes and they offer the option of both standard width and wide width sole shoes. Have run with HokaOne shoes in several 100km UltraMarathons recently (Japan/Borneo/SAmerica) - with pack and they were just great - VERY comfortable, very stable.

Other serious, tested, thoroughbred trail shoes - LaSportiva, Salomon, HokaOne... (These are the shoe brands in the the stables of the top, long distance trail/endurance runners)
Don't buy 'fellcross' trailshoes or other super grippy shoes (ie. INOV8 'The Claw') with hardcore, super grippy tread as they're 110% GREAT for mud, slop - but diabolical on rocky or wet/rocky terrain! (it's like ice-skating on rocks - frigging scary!!!)
I've found a recurring problem with some of the Salomon shoe's are the thin 'high strength' laces that just tear/rip through the lace retainers - even after only 4 weeks of use)

At the end of the day though you could probably easily wear $30 Dunlop Volleys and still walk the whole AAWT with no problem. (I remember I once ditched my seasoned $300+ boots in the Tassie SW after only 36hrs replacing them with $30 Dunlops for the next 3 weeks with no problems at all and a ridiculously heavy pack)
Attachments
M_Speedgoat_AAAC_1__14991.1466745189.1048.850.jpg
1009648-BGFBL_1__21625.1466383841.1048.850.jpg
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Watertank » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 4:50 pm

I've just walked the Coast to Coast across England in Wildcats. Great shoes - to provide more support I swaped the inner soles with blue Superfeet inners. Very happy with the shoe - much better than the Gortex Scarpa shoes I wore on my last C2C.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jjoz58 » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 3:43 pm

Stew63 wrote:Suggest look at real, serious, dedicated trail shoes (not NewBalance/Nike/ASICs/Adidas etc. - they're not true TrailShoes!)

Just passed the 600km mark in my New Balance 910's and still going strong. About 200km fully off track and the rest on tracks of some sort. About half with 14kg through pack. They were great on the granite of Girraween and no problem in the rainforest and mud of the border ranges. Dry quickly, great grip and light. I use different inner soles and a pair of dirty girl gaiters. These will be my shoes for the AT next year. If you have ankle or stability issues then they probably aren't for you, otherwise give them a go.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby phil robinson » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 4:15 pm

just finished the aawt ,was making an attempt at the record but lost too much time getting lost and then got wiped out by a storm, I used a pair of new balance 610s they were fine but really got a workout and are now worn out. I would recommend having a second pair ready as it can be disastrous if the sole starts delaminating in the middle of nowhere. I would also suggest that you get shoes at least one size bigger than usual as your feet will swell considerably. I lost both big toenails after a 70km day in the rain in very well worn in shoes. I also had to get thicker socks for a bit more padding as running with a pack mine was 5kg base plus water and food usually about 8kgs total places more impact on the base of your feet. If I were to do it again I would go for a more cushioned trail shoe than the 610s.Also if you are sticking to the actual track and not detouring around some of the peaks and regrowth areas I suggest you wear gaiters, I didnt and my usually tough legs go pretty cut up by the gorse and acacia regrowth.
phil robinson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby jdeks » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 10:40 pm

phil robinson wrote:just finished the aawt ,was making an attempt at the record but lost too much time getting lost and then got wiped out by a storm, I used a pair of new balance 610s they were fine but really got a workout and are now worn out. I would recommend having a second pair ready as it can be disastrous if the sole starts delaminating in the middle of nowhere. I would also suggest that you get shoes at least one size bigger than usual as your feet will swell considerably. I lost both big toenails after a 70km day in the rain in very well worn in shoes. I also had to get thicker socks for a bit more padding as running with a pack mine was 5kg base plus water and food usually about 8kgs total places more impact on the base of your feet. If I were to do it again I would go for a more cushioned trail shoe than the 610s.Also if you are sticking to the actual track and not detouring around some of the peaks and regrowth areas I suggest you wear gaiters, I didnt and my usually tough legs go pretty cut up by the gorse and acacia regrowth.

Mate.

That is *&%$#! hard core. Well done.

What was your total trip time?
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby WadeThrupp » Wed 18 Jan, 2017 9:38 pm

phil robinson wrote:just finished the aawt ,was making an attempt at the record but lost too much time getting lost and then got wiped out by a storm, I used a pair of new balance 610s they were fine but really got a workout and are now worn out. I would recommend having a second pair ready as it can be disastrous if the sole starts delaminating in the middle of nowhere. I would also suggest that you get shoes at least one size bigger than usual as your feet will swell considerably. I lost both big toenails after a 70km day in the rain in very well worn in shoes. I also had to get thicker socks for a bit more padding as running with a pack mine was 5kg base plus water and food usually about 8kgs total places more impact on the base of your feet. If I were to do it again I would go for a more cushioned trail shoe than the 610s.Also if you are sticking to the actual track and not detouring around some of the peaks and regrowth areas I suggest you wear gaiters, I didnt and my usually tough legs go pretty cut up by the gorse and acacia regrowth.

Wow Phil, tell us where we can view more details about your trip. I'm interested in how you stayed so light.

BTW, I've chosen the Solomon X Ultra 2 GTX.
WadeThrupp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Equipment